Author Topic: [SUG] Show "total play time" as a separate statistic to "time to reach SR"  (Read 1121 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
When fixing this bug, I noticed that "time taken" is never shown when test-playing a level from the editor (via F12), even if the level is successfully completed in the test-play.

This has now been updated so that the time result is shown in this particular case, but, a question occurs: should we also display time taken when the level is failed? Perhaps not for normal gameplay, but it could be useful information when test-playing.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:45:12 PM by WillLem »

Offline Herby

• View Profile
Yes. It's grat idea! Please, Add this in 2.7.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
What time would you show?

The time upon successful completion (if this is unchanged from NL) is the time at which the last required lemming exited, not just the time at which the player hit exit (or ran out of lemmings).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Herby

• View Profile

The time upon successful completion (if this is unchanged from NL) is the time at which the last required lemming exited, not just the time at which the player hit exit (or ran out of lemmings)j.
The time at which the player hit exit (or ran out of lemmings) and don't show penalty time (when there is a ''Sleeper'' state.).

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Show "total play time" as a separate statistic to "time to reach SR"
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 02:45:01 PM »

That is indeed the question!

I'm leaning towards total in-game time spent playing, so that would be when gameplay exits to postview for any reason, and doesn't include real-world time (for example, whilst the game is paused). Anything else feels a bit more arbitrary. We could even have it displayed as "Total play time X:YY:ZZ"

Which leads to the inevitable suggestion of whether this could be another thing to display on the postview screen in general: players might want to know how long it took to save 100% on a <100% save requirement level, for example.

I've changed the topic title accordingly, thoughts welcome.

don't show penalty time (when there is a ''Sleeper'' state.).

If we go with "total in-game time until gameplay ends", then overtime would be included. Is there any reason this is undesirable? It may be useful information to the player...?

EDIT: It's occurred to me that players may actually be interested to know their total real-world time for solving a level as well, particularly if it has taken several sessions. This isn't something to display on postview though; instead, a statistic tracking the total real-world time spent playing any particular level could be displayed in the Level Select screen. Just a thought!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:53:44 PM by WillLem »