Author Topic: What's the difference between a Skill Shadow and a Skill Projection Shadow?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
It's in the title, but just to unpack it a bit...

When configuring Hotkeys, there are 3 options which mention shadows:

Toggle Shadows
Projection Shadow
Skill Projection Shadow

Am I to understand that "Toggle Shadows" turns all types of shadow on and off, or does it just affect regular Skill Shadows (with Projection Shadows and Skill Projection Shadows being still available as "hold" keys)?

Also, what is the difference between a Skill Shadow, a Projection Shadow, and a Skill Projection Shadow?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
From memory, I believe that the disable skill shadows option does not extend to ones that you specifically request by pressing a hotkey, but I may be wrong on this.

The regular skill shadows indicate "what will be the effect of this skill". The projection shadow indicates "what path will this lemming take for the next ~15s if he continues what he's doing now". The skill projection shadow indicates "what path will this lemming take for the next ~15s if he were to be assigned the currently-selected skill, then afterwards left to continue doing whatever he does".

In other words - both projection shadows show where the lemming will move for the next 15s if mostly left alone, with the one key difference being that the skill projection assumes that you first start by assigning the currently-selected skill to him.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Got it, thanks :thumbsup:

From memory, I believe that the disable skill shadows option does not extend to ones that you specifically request by pressing a hotkey

I tested the Projection Shadows with Skill Shadows toggled off, and they do indeed still work.