Author Topic: Updating old level files  (Read 3602 times)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
Updating old level files
« on: August 22, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
Hey guys its been a while!

I am trying to update .lvl files into the new format. The new editor does not read .lvl files it seems. I used an older version of the the new format editor I had that still reads .lvl files and turned them into .nxlv files. These files are now playable in the updated Neolemmix player (v12.12.1) but when I try to open them in the editor it comes up with an error message (attached). Save me!

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Updating old level files
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 04:51:53 PM »
There were some tweaks made to nxlv format. The editor doesn't support the older format but the NL player does so you can play these levels but can't open them in editor.

Try cleansing the levels:
Create a subfolder in levels folder and put the effected levels.
Open the NL player and you can find the cleanse button in the level select menu.
The output level will be in a Clease folder.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:05:19 PM »
There we go! Thanks so much!

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
Well well, it's the legendary bulletride, who has returned after a long absence. It's great to have you back, and a pleasure to finally meet you! :) I've heard plenty of wonderful things about you.

Alternatively, with an older version of the NL player, version 12.9.4 or older I believe, you can put your .lvl files in a subfolder in the "levels" folder of your NL directory, load up NL, find the subfolder in the "levels list," load it by pressing "ok," escape out to the main menu, then press f8, which will cleanse all the levels you have in the subfolder. The .nxlv files will then be found in a "cleanse" folder, which you should be able to load in the newest editor, but if they don't open, then you can do the same thing in the 12.12 NL player, but with the .nxlv files, except there will be a "cleanse all" button in the "level select" menu like Armani said, making it easier so you don't have to memorize the hotkey for "cleanse." This should allow you to open your levels, like you reported ;) Only downside here, of course, is separating all the .lvl files from the .nxlv ones afterwards, but then again it's essentially the same as loading the .lvl files individually in the editor and saving them as .nxlv files.

This, btw, was how I converted your Lemmings Stampede pack to New Formats NL :) I'm going to presume that you have indeed seen the finished product, as well as the video series that I put together for it. All info on this you can find here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5709.msg93022#msg93022

Also, I posted my replays and feedback for your pack for Old Formats NL here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3200.msg93090#msg93090 . Alternatively, I posted all my solutions to your levels on my Youtube ;)

Along with this, would you happen to have the old Wicked 10 level Bobbing for Lemmings by any chance? I would love to give it a try sometime ;) If not, no worries.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 06:27:52 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:00 PM »
Yes, I got nostalgic for lemmings and came to check out the forums and noticed you updated my pack! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

I watched your video series and noticed you had backrouted lots of levels. I hate backroutes! They keep me up at night and I just cant have them unfixed so I am back from the dead to fix them. I am lucky that a lot of the solutions you found are harder than the original solutions so I can leave those be but some definitely need to be fixed a bit.

Thank you so much for your work it will definitely save me tons of effort. At the moment I am planning on adding some more levels to my pack. I am going to add a bunch of my better quality old Lemmix levels that still have tricks that work in Neolemmix, as well as some unreleased levels that need some polish I have lying around somewhere. Maybe spice things up with some new ones as well as I have few ideas already in my head. I'm playing through a few packs to get the juices flowing.

Bobbing For Lemmings attached. I will probably replace Smoke Screen with it when I get around to this update as it uses the same trick, just has an alternate solution that at the time bugged me but is not really a big deal lol. I threw together Smoke Screen really fast to replace it and it was pretty unimaginatively designed to force the trick.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
Replay solution attached. This only took me a minute to solve :laugh: Seems intended to me, although with how I didn't use any of the athletic skills probably a backroute?

Yes, I got nostalgic for lemmings and came to check out the forums and noticed you updated my pack! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

I watched your video series and noticed you had backrouted lots of levels. I hate backroutes! They keep me up at night and I just cant have them unfixed so I am back from the dead to fix them. I am lucky that a lot of the solutions you found are harder than the original solutions so I can leave those be but some definitely need to be fixed a bit.

Thanks for watching! :) Yea, in particular you got to admit, that was a very messy solution that I found to Wicked 5 :XD:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 05:06:10 PM »
Ya that No Bones solution was gross lol definetly the worst one. Off the top of my head Shaky Foundations and A Trap Well Sprung were the other ones that need fixing but Ill have to take another look at the replays to see if there were any others I forgot. Could fix Precision as well maybe

The athetic skills are not needed they are there just as red herrings that solution is the intended one.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »
This is a bit more tricky. I want to update these 2 levels that were made with my Thorn tileset. I see someone has already updated the thorn tileset to the new format (thank you whoever did that :thumbsup:).

The levels are still in .lvl format so I will need to use an older version of the new neolemmix editor.... however I don't have an 'updated' thorn set for the old new editor lol. Will this be possible to do some hackish way or will it be way too much effort to bother updating these?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 09:23:23 PM »
For the sake of two levels, it would probably be less effort to simply remake them. Otherwise, you'd need to (unless the person who converted it has one - if it exists it might be included with NL V12.9.4 and earlier?) create a translation table (NXTT) file for that style, as this tells NeoLemmix how to map the piece indexes from old formats, to the piece names in new formats.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 09:59:13 PM »
Did you resave them as .nxlv files by opening them in a slightly older version of the NL editor that can open .lvl files? If so, I think what you can do is open up the newest version of NL and then simply use the styles manager inside the player to download/update the styles. bulletride_thorn should be there, and then the two levels should load fine.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 10:11:43 PM »
I cant open them in a slightly older version because I don't have the style made for that version. I'm missing the in between style. I will probably just try to remake the levels as it will probably be less effort than anything else. Medusa is kind of a big level but shouldn't be too bad to remake it.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 10:14:23 PM »
Here you go, your two levels saved as .nxlv ;)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 10:23:06 PM »
Sweet!! Thanks so much!!! :thumbsup: