Author Topic: Hello, I've got a question regarding NeoLemmix and replay files  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Hello,
I'm new on this forum and I've been introduced to Lemmings with the MAC and Game Gear versions. Finding out about your community and the NeoLemmix engine really made me happy. This is great:thumbsup:

Anyway, I've been stuck on the level "out, away from the tune". Some of your threads suggest there have been some modifications made to this level at some point, I'm referring to the "ExtraLevels.nxp". I am using NeoLemmix V12.11.3 and this level offers 1Bomber, 5Builders and 6Bashers. Is that normal or do I need to work on that solution harder ?
Also, during my researches, I found some replays using .lrb formats. Unfortunately, it seems this specific format is outdated and has been replaced with .nrxp
I just need some clarifications about this, would you please enlighten me ? Thanks, have a good day

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I've got a question regarding NeoLemmix and replay files
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 02:15:13 PM »
Hello Paul,

Welcome to the Forums! I just took a look at the level in question, and I can confirm that the level is 100% possible with the given skillset. As for replay files, .lrb replay files are for Neolemmix versions older than v10, eg, v1.43, as well as Lemmix I believe, while .nxrp is just the extension name of replay files for Neolemmix v10 and more recent. So really, they're just replay extension names for different versions of Neolemmix.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »
Thank you !

Alright, I'm going to figure this level out then!

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
The modification for "out, away from the tune" (Sunsoft 24) of the extra levels (from the genesis Megadrive) in Neolemmix was adding 1 extra basher(now 6 bashers) since it was needed to solve the level in Neolemmix.
But in Superlemmini, NO extra basher was needed(still has 5 bashers.)

The extra basher in Neolemmix was needed due to the 1 bombers' explosion wasn't big enough to get the builder thru the hole, so an extra basher was added to help make the hole bigger. In Superlemmini, the explosion hole was bigger so no added basher was needed.

Also I do have all the replays for the Genesis Megadrive in Superlemmini, which shows only the 5 bashers..

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 04:59:55 AM »
It's not so much the bomber crater size, it's more due to this: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3984.msg72616#msg72616. Because the builder checks are stricter in NL, that's why it takes more builders to get through a thin ceiling and therefore Sunsoft 24 is impossible with the Genesis skillset. In engines where the builder checks aren't as strict, like on Superlemmini, they take less builders to get through a thin ceiling. Indeed, on the Genesis port you can build through a thin ceiling more easily and hence less builders need to be used as a result.

Honestly, this wasn't too much of a rude awakening, with a slight change in the builder mechanics/checks, for me. Therefore, I didn't really notice and didn't have to get "used to" it. In a way, I kind of prefer NL's mechanics in regards to building through a thin ceiling, even if more builders need to be spent for this. And again, if you want more lenient builder checks, there's always Lemmix/Superlemmini/Dosbox, etc. 

Also, Turrican's post from here is relevant: Superlemmini builder mechanics vs NL's
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »
Now this is enlightening. This Sunsoft level drowned me into confusion, I was certain the solution resided in the most "direct path" and in that bomber's hole at the top. The "second route" made it achievable with the given skillset, eventually. I'll find out if there are more levels like this during my playthrought.
Thanks

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »
NeoLemmix has different physics than Genesis/DOS Lemmings 1, yeah. It's well possible that some levels' solutions differ.

Are you playing Lemmings Redux? "Let's Go Camping" is trivial in original Lemmings 1 (place 1 blocker to save everybody else) but allegedly much more interesting in Lemmings Redux since they removed the trivial route.

Would be interesting if you find more levels that need radically different solutions than these two (Out, Away from the Tune, and Let's Go Camping).

-- Simon

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
hi, I've just completed "let's go camping" and this is my favorite level so far. Unfortunately I can't remember my past experience on the sega version nor the Macintosh one, except for a few exclusive levels on game gear wich I oddly miss(they were probably on megadrive and other ports tho).

No, "sunsoft 24" is the only one that shocked me at the moment

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
except for a few exclusive levels on game gear wich I oddly miss(they were probably on megadrive and other ports tho).

The only other version with the exact same unique levels as Game Gear, was Master System. The unofficial "extra levels" conversion contains these levels; and one of them (the Mayhem version of Sega Four) made it into Lemmings Redux.

Some of the levels do exist on other versions though - SMS's Fun 22, Tricky 14, Taxing 15 and Mayhem 22 all come from the "Budget Amiga" version, although the skillsets are a bit more lenient on the SMS version (especially Taxing 15), and the titles are changed except for Fun 22. SMS's Mayhem 21 is just Taxing 21 from other versions. However, "Sixes Not", the alternate repeat of Tricky 12, and the ten Sega levels, are unique to these two versions.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:32:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)