Poll

Which screen mode do you start Lix with?

Windowed
6 (54.5%)
Software Fullscreen (current default)
5 (45.5%)
Hardware Fullscreen
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Which screen mode do you start Lix with?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Which screen mode do you start Lix with?
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:17:55 PM »
Out of interest how Lix is started by others.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Which screen mode do you start Lix with?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
Yeah, software fullscreen is default.

It's on the table to change the default to windowed. NaOH suggested this 7 years ago already, I had been reluctant, but I'm starting to believe windowed is better as a default. Screens are huge these days, it's perfectly fine to start the window bigger than ye olde defaulte of 640x480.

Hardware fullscreen is a fallback option for Ramond, he wasn't able to run software fullscreen.

Tenmicu (from twitch) had trouble with software fullscreen, he got only a black window. He claims that he has an odd computer and trouble with other games, too. Stilll, this is another reason to start windowed.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
One idea was to create a batch file for windowed mode. The question is what resolution for the window, since cheaper/older laptops have only 1366x768 and a taskbar at one of the sides.

An example for batch content would be:

Code: [Select]
lix --resol=1200x680

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:02:04 PM »
Oooooh Simon remembers me!

I've always had it start on windowed for as long as I can remember. For some reason Lix doesn't feel like a fullscreen game to me. That might be a remnant of back when I played Lemmings on an SNES emulator, which I usually had windowed as well. I think?

Offline WillLem

• Play nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:18:06 AM »
What is the difference between Software and Hardware fullscreen?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:32:03 AM »
difference between Software and Hardware fullscreen?

Software fullscreen: Lix becomes a window the size of the monitor, without a title bar, placed so that it fills exactly the monitor space. Your graphics environment (e.g., Windows desktop) remains the main source of input. There won't be any resolution changes. Alt+Tab will be quick, and other windows can cover Lix.

Hardware fullscreen: Lix tells the graphics driver to switch resolution, and use Lix's video memory as the only input source. Alt+Tab will be slow because there must be another resolution change to switch back to your normal graphicas environment.

Quote from: Ramon
always had it start on windowed for as long as I can remember. For some reason Lix doesn't feel like a fullscreen game to me.

Thanks for the hunch. Yes, I've also preferred it windowed for the previous 10 years.

Sure I remember, I've still promised return to Vienna for another gaming vacation. 2022/2023 stands a reasonable chance to be it.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:39:08 AM by Simon »