Poll

Which screen mode do you start Lix with?

Windowed
7 (58.3%)
Software Fullscreen (current default)
5 (41.7%)
Hardware Fullscreen
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Which screen mode do you start Lix with?  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Which screen mode do you start Lix with?
« on: March 20, 2021, 07:17:55 PM »
Out of interest how Lix is started by others.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Which screen mode do you start Lix with?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »
Yeah, software fullscreen is default.

It's on the table to change the default to windowed. NaOH suggested this 7 years ago already, I had been reluctant, but I'm starting to believe windowed is better as a default. Screens are huge these days, it's perfectly fine to start the window bigger than ye olde defaulte of 640x480.

Hardware fullscreen is a fallback option for Ramond, he wasn't able to run software fullscreen.

Tenmicu (from twitch) had trouble with software fullscreen, he got only a black window. He claims that he has an odd computer and trouble with other games, too. Stilll, this is another reason to start windowed.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
One idea was to create a batch file for windowed mode. The question is what resolution for the window, since cheaper/older laptops have only 1366x768 and a taskbar at one of the sides.

An example for batch content would be:

Code: [Select]
lix --resol=1200x680

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:02:04 PM »
Oooooh Simon remembers me!

I've always had it start on windowed for as long as I can remember. For some reason Lix doesn't feel like a fullscreen game to me. That might be a remnant of back when I played Lemmings on an SNES emulator, which I usually had windowed as well. I think?

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:18:06 AM »
What is the difference between Software and Hardware fullscreen?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 05:32:03 AM »
difference between Software and Hardware fullscreen?

Software fullscreen: Lix becomes a window the size of the monitor, without a title bar, placed so that it fills exactly the monitor space. Your graphics environment (e.g., Windows desktop) remains the main source of input. There won't be any resolution changes. Alt+Tab will be quick, and other windows can cover Lix.

Hardware fullscreen: Lix tells the graphics driver to switch resolution, and use Lix's video memory as the only input source. Alt+Tab will be slow because there must be another resolution change to switch back to your normal graphicas environment.

Quote from: Ramon
always had it start on windowed for as long as I can remember. For some reason Lix doesn't feel like a fullscreen game to me.

Thanks for the hunch. Yes, I've also preferred it windowed for the previous 10 years.

Sure I remember, I've still promised return to Vienna for another gaming vacation. 2022/2023 stands a reasonable chance to be it.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:39:08 AM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »
Laptop resolution 1366x768:

The problem with 1200x680 and 1280x800 is that hardware fullscreen falls back to default window (now still 640x480).
1280x800 hides the upper window bar, which has the good effect that it is less likely that the window overlaps the taskbar below, but the negative effect that you can't move the window that easily. And the even more negative effect, that the system cursor moves out of the window before the game cursor reaches the bottom of the window.

1280x720 works with hardware fullscreen and doesn't have the odd cursor bug as far as I could see (but a bit of overlapping with the taskbar on Win7).

But I don't know what laptops with other/more modern resolutions like or dislike or how they behave.

It would be good, if the debugging build still retains smaller resolution or that there is at least a simple switch for old 640x480 for debugging purposes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:50:26 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 11:03:22 PM »
I use windowed mode for ease of switching to other windows but now I'm thinking this is totally unnecessary and I should probably switch to full screen all the time; the screen will be bigger; easier to see and I won't have to deal with the mouse issue. Don't know why I didin't try this sooner.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
I remembered now why I don't use fullscreen; it seems glitchy. Sometimes it works and sometimes I'm not able to switch to other windows when Lix is open.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain