Author Topic: Level Design Contest #22 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 38039 times)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #22 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2021, 07:16:45 AM »
@Armani Nope, still a big backroute. The start is still not intended, and you correctly guessed that some parts after that aren't intended as well. All rightie, I have removed all builders and jumpers at the start, as well as move one of the cloner pickups. Let's see if this stops your backrouting now! :P

Now I think I know how you felt when I kept backrouting your levels in the previous contest. Looks like we have a lot in common :crylaugh:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »
I tried to come up with a backroute fix while taking a break outside, but applying it in the editor... it didn't work because it also blocks the intended solution, and it's not something that can be adapted.  High Rise Hijinks is broken (the talisman is also broken because the backroute completes it in under 3 minutes).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:24:57 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
Well, the only way to unbreak High Rise Hijinks was to make the intended talisman solution the full intended solution - I found another solution that completes the level under the talisman rules, but it uses all the tools so is acceptable enough.

Note that I haven't reduced the time limit to 3 minutes, but I increased the save requirement from 48 to 49, which might be a bit confusing, but the talisman wasn't called "Technical details" for nothing.

Another option is to keep it at 48/50 and allow all the recent backroutes, but have the talisman be to save 49/50.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:07:59 PM by Crane »

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2021, 04:02:31 PM »
A bit late to the party but every solution posted on here related to my Rule 1 level has been a backroute. I have updated it now :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »
ok, solved cranes version 9 of High rise Hijinks.

Even though the save requirement is now 49 instead of 48, I still solved the level, even under 3 minutes.

Still think it's a backroute though as I had a miner and the bomber leftover(just used the nuke to end level)

So I still think this level is broken
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:33:48 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2021, 04:15:18 AM »
Solved updated levels

@kaywhyn
Now I think I know how you felt when I kept backrouting your levels in the previous contest. Looks like we have a lot in common :crylaugh:

I feel you. You're not the only one! :crylaugh: Having to backroute fix same level several times can be frustrating sometimes. But I think it's fine. That's mean at least someone keep playing my level and I appreciate that.
Anyway, this time I think I found mostly intended solution. I used every single skill except for one digger.

@Nessy
Got two different solutions. Sadly, none of them seem intended. :evil:

@Crane
Is this better? ???
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2021, 04:41:46 AM »
@kaywhyn

I feel you. You're not the only one! :crylaugh: Having to backroute fix same level several times can be frustrating sometimes. But I think it's fine. That's mean at least someone keep playing my level and I appreciate that.
Anyway, this time I think I found mostly intended solution. I used every single skill except for one digger.

We're finally getting closer to the intended solution. The beginning is almost 100% intended. There's still plenty of other parts after that that's still unintended. Luckily, this was a very quick change for V6. For this version, I took away 2 of the shimmiers at the start. I think this will finally give the intended solution. Give it a try and let me know.

Yes, it is frustrating, and I nearly thought my level was just broken and unfixable due to how you kept severely backrouting my R3. However, as I said in V5 we're getting quite close now. I simply kept holding on to hope that the intended solution I had in mind could still be enforced, and I think we're finally get it with V6 :P At the same time, it's a good thing in that at least people who play your levels can help you catch these backroutes that the designer somehow missed. This is where I thank you for your perseverance with the resolving and it has really helped me get better at fixing up levels each time. Not bad for someone where this contest is the first one where I have made my own levels! :crylaugh:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2021, 05:36:38 AM »
My levels are still backrouted on all accounts.  Hrm...

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:26 AM »
So Crane are you still going to try to patch them or accept the backroutes?

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
ok solved Nessy's Version 2 Rule 1 level. Had a blocker, bomber and basher left though.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »
Going to try to patch them.  I'm just trying to think ahead and not blow another fuse.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:46 PM »
Made the backroute fixes.  High Rise Hijinks just took a jump in difficulty though.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2021, 05:14:53 PM »
Nope to High Rise HighJinks.

A little bit more difficult. But still the same backroute.

I solved it in the editor. Still under 3 minutes too.

here is my version 10 replay which you can do in the editor or wait till Icho puts it in the pack.

EDIT: ok it's in the pack already.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:25:29 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2021, 05:57:15 PM »
Easy enough to fix, I think.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
Nope, Still managed same backroute. (High Rise Hijinks) version 11

here is replay
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:01:33 PM by ericderkovits »