Author Topic: Level Design Contest #22 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 37826 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #22 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2021, 03:54:34 AM »
I heard that one of my level is giving problem to someone, so I decided to give some hints for it for those who want. I'm not that good at giving hints so let me know if this is not enough, or if you want hints for other levels too.

The Day After Chritsmas
minor hints (click to show/hide)
a little bit more major hints (click to show/hide)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:12 AM »
Sorry for all my edits - when I uploaded V5 of Immortal, I realised it was faulty, so I took it down again before anyone downloaded it (at least I think I did), and hopefully fixed it before uploading again.  It should be fine now.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2021, 06:41:24 AM »
@Armani That's still a huge backroute to my R3. It's time to bring in the big guns. I have reduced the starting skillset even more by making a bunch of the skills pickups. This huge change from V3 to V4 is hopefully now enough to stop all your horrendous backrouting. There were some where I considered not making pickups, but I'm not taking any chances here less it causes backroutes to show up again. My hope is that my R3 is now the hard level it's supposed to be. I'm sure it's still not going to be a problem for someone like you, though. :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2021, 06:45:31 AM »
I haven't looked through the replays yet, but based on the posts I know for sure Interception has a backroute in it.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
ok, Solved Gronkling's Iron-Age Forge

This one was tricky. Also used all skills. Hopefully not a backroute.

Yes, this is exactly the correct solution

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 02:05:33 PM »
@Icho Oops, I uploaded the wrong V4 of my R3. I have uploaded the correct level map in the update topic that's intended to be my V4. Please remove the one that's in the zip and replace with the one in the update topic. Sorry for the confusion, everyone! :XD:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:13:02 PM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »
ok, again solved Cranes High Rise Hijinks. (Including Talisman)

Unfornately, Increasing the Release Rate from 90 to 95 didn't block the previous solution as I still pretty much did the same thing. Thus still is a backroute.

replay attached.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:10 PM »
Looking through the topic, I found 3 replays for Interception; all three are different backroutes.

I found 2 replays for Chamber of Mummies; both are unintended, but they do at least seem interesting, if a bit easier than what I intended. I haven't decided if I'm going to patch these or leave it open ended yet.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:09:13 PM by Dullstar »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
ok, Solved Your Level Kaywhyn. Even though it's a small level, I really liked your several little tricks in this level. I think probably my favorite level of Rule 1.

Of course before I solved the level had to do different things with the destructive skills and climber timings.

Here are the tricks:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways here is my replay

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »
@eric And, that's finally intended. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What would you say about the difficulty of my R1? Did you think it was hard now that it's finally been properly patched up? If you think it was hard, then as mentioned before you're not the first one to tell me it's hard, as several people before you have told me that. Also, I think only one other person, Armani, has managed to solve it so far, and so you're pretty much the second person to have sent me a replay of R1, with the intended solution.

Nice job with steamrolling all the R1 levels! :thumbsup: I think Icho's is the only R1 you have left to solve? I can tell you that it is hard, as I pretested all of his contest levels, but since you managed to solve my R1, then it should be a bit easier for you, since it uses something similar to my level. Since you're also a traditionalist, I knew right away that you would focus on the R1 levels and do all you can to solve them.   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 10:10:36 PM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:21 PM »
hi Kaywhyn. I think it's hard if you don't know these tricks. But because I've seen many tricks now or even used them in LOA, for me I say medium. That's what seeing many packs replays tricks do
And Like I said without seeing many tricks like these I wouldn't have even been able to beat Artlems or LOA.

And I solved every Rule 1 except Icho's. I already know that one would be just too hard for me, although havent really tried. Icho tends to make very difficult levels(just like in United).

Also I still backrouted cranes so waiting for an update again from him (he'll have to go to Version 8) since I backrouted his Version 7 the same as Version 6. His Increasing the Release Rate
made it more difficult but I still managed the same backroute.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »
hi Kaywhyn. I think it's hard if you don't know these tricks. But because I've seen many tricks now or even used them in LOA, for me I say medium. That's what seeing many packs replays tricks do
And Like I said without seeing many tricks like these I wouldn't have even been able to beat Artlems or LOA.

That's a fairly accurate assessment. Indeed, the general consensus so far seems to be that my R1 is quite hard, although I should wait for more feedback on it and on my other two levels as well. Even then, I still think from easiest to hardest it's my R2, then R1, then R3. Although maybe R3 is only slightly harder than R1.

And I solved every Rule 1 except Icho's. I already know that one would be just too hard for me, although havent really tried. Icho tends to make very difficult levels(just like in United).

It's definitely a hard level, and I also struggled with it, although in the end I solved it much faster than both his R2 and R3. Almost similar to mine in size, small, but still deceptively hard. Even then, he's made some easy levels too :P From my pre-testing, though, I say all 3 were hard, although I think his R3 is the easiest even though it took me a while.

In the end, I do not blame you if you don't want to attempt the R2 and R3 levels, especially mine. I won't be offended in any way. R2 was a really hard rule to work with, although I struggled far more with making my R3, even though it's easier to work with than R2. I think for the time being both my R1 and R2 are fully backroute patched (who knows, they still might be backroutable), while it still remains to be seen with my R3. Hopefully V4 will be the final version of my R3, but we'll see.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2021, 01:53:38 AM »
again solved updated levels.

My previous backroute to High Rise Hijinks still works on V5 and I found completely different solution to it too. So I attached both two.

I think this is better than before but I have some leftover skills on Immortal

The Love-Hate Triangle - The starting part became more challenging. After that I don't think this is exactly what you intended.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2021, 05:15:46 AM »
I give up.  Why do I bother?  I have no idea how to patch High Rise Hijinks now.  It's too easy to time the Bomber so a Lemming can become a Blocker without anyone walking past.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2021, 05:37:59 AM »
Hey Crane, Maybe submit a new Rule 1 level then, WillLem did that in the last contest when he replaced his Level The Diving Area with HoPpInG mAd.

Edit: I just played your version 8 of High Rise Hijinks in the editor. Still this version won't solve the problem. I still did the same backroute.

here is my version 8 replay
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:56:52 AM by ericderkovits »