Author Topic: [SUG][STYLES] Allow vertical resize of default water objects  (Read 3572 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[SUG][STYLES] Allow vertical resize of default water objects
« on: December 13, 2020, 11:00:27 PM »
This is a suggestion that has come up in the past, and I'd like to look at making it happen.

In order to make this happen without compromising visuals on existing levels (and of the water objects in general), a new feature is needed where the default size of a resizable object*, can be different from the size of the PNG file with its graphic. This feature is already implemented for V12.11.

* and it goes without saying that this feature has been extended to resizable terrain too, even though it's less important there
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: [SUG][STYLES] Allow vertical resize of default water objects
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:52:19 PM »
I'm sure most people already know this, but NL already allows vertically resizable water objects - L2 classic has one. However, the default styles, along with most of the L2 styles, do not have them. For the L2 styles, the water.nxmo from L2 classic can be used as a base for the vertical resizing - just make sure to either A) copy the relevant section from L2 classic's water.nxmo, leaving the rest intact or B) change the horizontal size to match the actual size of the water object. Either approach should work; L2 egypt, for example, uses 48x16 water, but it's representable as a resizable 16x16 water object with no graphical losses, so since L2 classic was created long after horizontal resizing was introduced, I didn't duplicate the graphic 3x in the horizontal direction, since I assumed people would just horizontally resize it to whatever they needed. Since I'm not responsible for the other L2 conversions, though, I can't be sure why they were done the way they were; I think they predated resizable water objects though, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 03:41:28 AM »
NL already allows vertically resizable water objects - L2 classic has one

Confirmed. Add the following lines to any water.nxmo file:

RESIZE_VERTICAL (directly underneath the line "RESIZE_HORIZONTAL")

NINE_SLICE_TOP N (directly underneath the line "$PRIMARY ANIMATION")

To find "N", have a look at the water graphic itself, and identify a horizontal line somewhere in the middle that always has solid pixels below it in every frame. Then, count how many vertical pixels there are from that line to the top.

For example:

The green line always has solid pixels below it in every frame, whereas above the line is sometimes empty due to the movement of the water in the animation.

There are 8 pixels above this line, noted by the pink dots.

So, for this graphic, the 9-slice line would read NINE_SLICE_TOP 8

Hope this helps :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 04:18:45 AM »
Yes, but then the animation ends up a bit awkward. I'd like to do them so that the animation remains nice too, and that requires adding extra size (or revising the graphic altogether). As mentioned - V12.11 will have a feature that allows this without breaking existing levels.

To be clear, it's perfectly fine to make resizable water objects in custom styles already. This is purely about making the Orig / Ohno ones resizable while still looking nice.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
I know what you mean - you end up with two lines of "underwater bubbles" in the above example that I posted, which does look a bit daft.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:00 AM »
@WillLem - reckon you could have a go at making modified versions of the default water objects, that *can* nicely resize vertically?

It is perfectly fine if the frame count and/or height differ from the standard ones (though keep in mind this is "modify to allow vertical resize", not "remaster them") - I've got features in the pipeline that will avoid issues arising from the latter; while the former would never have caused issues in the first place.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
@WillLem - reckon you could have a go at making modified versions of the default water objects, that *can* nicely resize vertically?

Sure, I can have a look at that. I'm not 100% sure how it would work from a technical POV, i.e. which part of the graphic needs to be modified, so I might need help to do just the first one so I know what we're aiming for, and then I can do the rest on my own.

I probably wouldn't want to change too much about them either, it's important that they remain fully recognisable as the default objects.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
Sure, I can have a look at that. I'm not 100% sure how it would work from a technical POV, i.e. which part of the graphic needs to be modified, so I might need help to do just the first one so I know what we're aiming for, and then I can do the rest on my own.

How I'd personally envision it - though if you have another idea, sure, let's see it - is that you'd keep the existing graphic exactly as-is, and just add more on to the bottom so that it can be resized vertically while the rising bubble animations still look nice. Snow might need a bit fancier than that, to keep the sediment at the bottom (thankfully we have nine-slicing).

I realise that by default, this addition of size will break existing levels - V12.11 will be introducing a feature to avoid that breakage, so as long as people don't start using these in real-world levels until 12.11, it won't be a problem.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 10:47:59 PM »
I've attached an initial version of the pillar water, since that's the easiest to do; I've literally just added 4px of blue at the bottom of each frame. Let me know if this works and I'll do the same for the others.

Snow might need a bit fancier than that, to keep the sediment at the bottom (thankfully we have nine-slicing)

I anticipate that bubble will be the most difficult to get right, since it's a completely random jumble of circles and colours. I'll do my best with it, though!

I realise that by default, this addition of size will break existing levels - V12.11 will be introducing a feature to avoid that breakage, so as long as people don't start using these in real-world levels until 12.11, it won't be a problem.

How will this be fixed, out of interest?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »
On this topic, does anyone want to make the rest of L2 waters resizable, or should I go ahead and do it myself? I don't have a problem doing it, but I don't know who's responsible for maintaining them (depending on the implementation of the 12.11 feature to allow introducing this without breaking existing levels, I might fix the animations, too, as I recently noticed the animations don't tile accurately in NL the way they do in L2 since L2 offsets the frames a bit to create a wave effect.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 02:59:05 AM »
On this topic, does anyone want to make the rest of L2 waters resizable, or should I go ahead and do it myself? I don't have a problem doing it, but I don't know who's responsible for maintaining them (depending on the implementation of the 12.11 feature to allow introducing this without breaking existing levels, I might fix the animations, too, as I recently noticed the animations don't tile accurately in NL the way they do in L2 since L2 offsets the frames a bit to create a wave effect.

IchoTolot is the person to talk to about the L2 styles + L3 biolab (I believe GigaLem is for the other two L3 styles, but I'd have to double-check for sure), but I'd be very surprised if he had any problems with this.

If doing so (WillLem too) - please add the following to the NXMO file. Doesn't matter where, as long as it's in the main section and not a $ANIMATION (or $PRIMARY_ANIMATION) sub-section etc.

Code: [Select]
DEFAULT_WIDTH 64
DEFAULT_HEIGHT 16

(Or, as appropriate. The values that should be specified here are the size of the existing object.)

Quote from: WillLem
How will this be fixed, out of interest?

And this is why to add those lines. V12.10 doesn't support them (it will just ignore them - however you can otherwise use 12.10 to test that the animation looks nice, etc, basically using them for new levels will be fine in V12.10, it's only existing levels that will have issues), but in V12.11, this will tell the game what size to make the objects when loading a level that doesn't specifically specify a size. The current behavior (or in the future, the fallback behvaior where these params are not specified) is to use the size of one frame of the object's primary animation graphic.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
I've added the default width & height values to the .nxmo file as specified, as well as vertical resize and nine-slice values.

This looks somewhat better than simply resizing the original version, but there is really no way to get around the "bubbles spontenaeously appearing in the middle of the graphic" thing, even with nine-slicing. However, I'd suggest that it's not really an issue, since that's what currently happens when layering/stacking multiple water objects manually anyway; i.e. the resizable water manifests the exact same result as manual stacking, which may well be perfectly OK, in which case - no problem.

However however, when actually stacking water manually it is possible to flip every other water graphic to avoid the "two distinct lines of bubbles" thing...

I suppose that, if creators prefer, they can still manually stack the water graphic at its default size*. But, those who would prefer the convenience of an automatic resize can do so, albeit with that much less control over the resulting image.

I've attached water.png, .nxmo and a demo level. Let me know your thoughts before I go ahead with the others; they will likely be a fair bit more work than the default one so I'd rather see what everyone thinks first.

*question regarding this: if vertical resize is not applied to a water object in the editor, does it appear as its specified default size in the editor, or the size of 1 frame of the graphic? Either way, I'd suggest that it needs to appear in the editor exactly as it will appear in-game.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:27 AM »
Here's an attempt at what I'm going for. I didn't quite get it right (except on the furthest-left bubble) but this should give the general idea. Notice how the bubbles essentially repeat and animate nicely (or at least, should do so). The animation might need to be made even taller to get this completely right, not sure?

*question regarding this: if vertical resize is not applied to a water object in the editor, does it appear as its specified default size in the editor, or the size of 1 frame of the graphic? Either way, I'd suggest that it needs to appear in the editor exactly as it will appear in-game.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here? There's no reason why what the editor defaults to, would create an inconsistency in-game, because either way the NXLV file would have the size noted in it. The only time the default size is used (which, if not specified / in V12.10 and earlier, uses the size of the primary anim frame as a fallback) is when loading an existing NXLV that has no specified size, or for the initial size when placing a new object in the editor.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »
Here's an attempt at what I'm going for. I didn't quite get it right (except on the furthest-left bubble) but this should give the general idea. Notice how the bubbles essentially repeat and animate nicely (or at least, should do so). The animation might need to be made even taller to get this completely right, not sure?

Ah yes, I see how you've done this. It's essentially matching up the NINE_SLICE_TOP point with the bottom of the frame, so that as the bubble reaches the point at which nine-slicing occurs, it then reappears at the bottom of the next frame. Getting this exactly right for each bubble could be done in a number of different ways, I'll have a play with it and see what I can do.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

So, for a graphic which is 20px tall (per frame), but has DEFAULT_HEIGHT_16 specified in the .nxmo, I understand that this will cause the graphic to appear 16px tall in-game (in order to preserve water objects in existing levels), but - will it appear as 20px tall or 16px tall in the editor (i.e. specifically at the point when drawn)?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:29:42 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »
So I've had a look at it and I can see what the issue is; most of the bubbles move up 2px per frame each, but the ones on the far right "jump" up to 3px per frame as they near the top, creating the effect of "increasingly quick movement" that you'd see with real fizzy water. Fixing the animation was as simple as making all bubbles move at 2px per frame, but you do lose some of that effect (see attachment).

The best way to preserve the existing graphics exactly as they are whilst making them pleasingly resizable would be to create an independent animation for the bottom "resizable" part of the graphic, making sure that said animation matches up with what's going on above it, of course. It would simply be an "extension" of the existing graphic, nice-slicing at its base and thus keeping all defaults exactly as they are now.

Again, I'll give this a go with the default water and see if people are happy with the result before proceeding with any of the others.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:30:18 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
Right then... this sorts it out so that the top part of the animation is exactly as-is in the default, and the bubbles below (in the "resizable" section) animate such that they constantly rise until they "meet" the corresponding bubble in the original graphic.

The only caveat is that the resizable section has to be 16px tall in order to correspond exactly with the original graphic, i.e no bubbles "disappearing" on any frames. Any other height will result in an inconsistent animation, either in terms of 'presence of bubbles' or speed.

Note that, for demonstration purposes, I have recoloured the resizable part a darker shade of blue to illustrate exactly what's going on. This will of course be corrected in the final version of the graphic.

Let me know your thoughts, everyone. I won't proceed any further until I've had some feedback.

EDIT: forgot to change the trigger height :forehead: this has now been done, please download the resizable water demo from here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:57:18 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »
So, for a graphic which is 20px tall (per frame), but has DEFAULT_HEIGHT_16 specified in the .nxmo, I understand that this will cause the graphic to appear 16px tall in-game (in order to preserve water objects in existing levels), but - will it appear as 20px tall or 16px tall in the editor (i.e. specifically at the point when drawn)?

You're overestimating how much the DEFAULT_HEIGHT parameter does.

It does exactly two things, and nothing more (and similar for DEFAULT_WIDTH):
1. When loading a level file that contains (for example) default:water, but does not specify a height for it, DEFAULT_HEIGHT is used for the height. (If DEFAULT_HEIGHT is set to whatever the old size was - in this case 16 - this will mean levels do not break - because they expect the water to be 16 tall, and it is.) This applies to both the game and editor.
2. When placing a new copy of the object in the editor, it will initially be DEFAULT_HEIGHT pixels tall, again, 16px in this case. Same size it always has been upon initial placement.

There's no reason why the same object, with the same width / height (whether it is manually applied, or just the default), would look different in the game vs in the editor, beyond the normal game / editor differences (eg. editor doesn't support alpha blending). In particular, they are not going to draw it at a different height. Once the object is placed, and its size is loaded (using the default, or the frame size, as fallbacks), the DEFAULT_HEIGHT parameter no longer does anything, and the renderer never knows it exists nor what its value is.

I should note to anyone reading this - if you're getting confused by DEFAULT_WIDTH and DEFAULT_HEIGHT, but don't actually need to be using it (and aren't simply curious about how it works), the answer is pretty much "don't worry about it". You can continue doing what you've always done, and there's not much reason to use them on new objects, they're more a backwards-compatibility thing if you have to change the base size of an existing resizable object.

Regarding the graphics - sounds good based on your explanation, will actually take a look later.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 10:25:03 PM »
You're overestimating how much the DEFAULT_HEIGHT parameter does.
---
There's no reason why the same object, with the same width / height... would look different in the game vs in the editor

Actually, I think I'm underestimating it's capabilities. I was checking to make sure that it does specify height for both in-game levels and editor. Your answer has clarified that it does.

The reason I thought it might not is because the graphic itself is 20px tall. So, the DEFAULT_HEIGHT text is needed to override that and tell the editor (and the player) to display the graphic at 16px.

Simple case of misunderstanding each other's questions and responses there I think. No worries, all is understood now. Thanks for the explanation 8-)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 09:56:19 AM »
Forgot to change the trigger height :forehead:

This has been done now; consider this a fully operational demo :lemcat:

N.B. again, I'll correct the water colour once everyone's happy with what's going on in the graphic - the darker shade is to make this more clear for demo purposes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:44 PM »
Perfect!
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 12:15:31 AM »
Brillsies! :lemcat:

Since the above demo meets with namida's approval, I'll continue with the others in similar fashion.

Please do comment if you have any ideas or anything to say about it either way, though. Feedback is very welcome, since these are the default water objects that we'll all be using.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:49 PM »
I haven't checked to see if yours meets this criteria, but I would prefer if the water objects look the same as they do currently at the default size.

If this is the case (your posts lead me to believe this is the case?), then it should be good.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »
I haven't checked to see if yours meets this criteria, but I would prefer if the water objects look the same as they do currently at the default size.

That's the plan; so far all of them are identical to the originals at default size (including Snow and Fire, each of which makes use of nine-slicing at both the top and bottom edges to preserve the sediment/flames part of the graphic at the base).

The only one that currently* looks slightly different is the ohno_rock "tentacle" water - I tried a number of things to make this work as a resizable graphic, but they all looked fairly crap tbh. So, I added some murky-looking "swamp water" to the base of the animation, the top of which can be seen at the very bottom of the default-sized graphic.

*N.B. This is purely for demo purposes - if people don't like this idea, then I'd suggest keeping this one as horizontal resize only.

EDIT: Another idea could be to separate out the "swamp water" and simply have it as a new water graphic.

See attached zip folder of all of the resizable water graphics, plus a demo level so you can view them all at the same time :lemcat:

Comments welcome; I'm fairly happy with these, but I am of course prepared to make tweaks based on feedback.

Some comments regarding the creation process:

This is by far the most challenging graphical project I've embarked on for NeoLemmix so far; I'll likely make a tutorial video at some point to show how it's done, particularly when the original graphic features a both a "top" and a "base".

The most difficult of these was the Snow water, which has an icy top and a sediment base ejecting little chunks of ice which float up through the water. There were so many of these, and getting the animation correct for all of them was very time consuming. That and the logistics of getting the nine-slicing just right made this one the biggest challenge; very satisfying to get it finished though.

Fire and Rock presented the most creative challenges, since neither looks particularly good when simply repeating the original graphic (also, Fire - like Snow - has a base of flames spitting out hot bubbles into the lava). I'm fairly happy with the solutions to these; Rock now has a "swamp water" base as its resizable section, and Fire employs an effect similar to the one used in the Crystal water graphic to simulate lava bubbles continually expanding and popping throughout its resizable section (this is not visible at default size).

The easiest, by far (and the one I did last due to alphabetical order) was the Marble "pea soup"; only 3 bubbles to animate!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
Yep, these all seem great to me!
My Lemmings projects