Author Topic: [SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Graphics for NeoLemmix  (Read 13322 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Graphics for NeoLemmix
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:52:33 AM »
Well. 12.10 looks fantastic, thanks to extensive tweaks to the interface by namida and a brand spanking new set of menu cards from zanzindorf. Along with the High Resolution mode (that's now been around since 12.8), NeoLemmix is looking better than ever :lemcat:

But, something got me thinking... when we were pitching ideas for the menu, it surprised me that not a lot of people wanted to come forward with ideas for the actual graphics themselves, not even me! Only zanzindorf really answered that call, and it's his graphics we're using (and for good reason - they're ace!) :thumbsup:

I think one of the reasons I didn't pitch anything is because I figured I could just customise the menu cards myself, to whatever I wanted. And so could everyone else. One of the main reasons I suggested a redesign for the menu is because I think NeoLemmix should have its own look. It's occurred to me since the release of 12.10 that you can pretty much make the menu look however you want it to look, thanks to the continuing ability to create your own graphics and simply drop them in the relevant folder (NeoLemmix/gfx/menu).

The conclusion here is that the perfect NeoLemmix menu is whatever you want it to be, and this is perfectly aligned with its emphasis on custom, user-created content! So, I thought I'd start a topic where we could share custom-made logos, menu cards, backgrounds, fonts and scrollers specifically for NeoLemmix's menu.

EDIT: On seconds thoughts, this can just be a sharing of graphics for any part of NeoLemmix!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:32:49 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Menu Card Graphics
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 05:22:04 AM »
Note that the UP/DOWN arrows for the Group card can now be a separate graphic.

must*

It's okay to hard-bake them on to the rank sign graphic too, but they still need to exist as separate graphic files as well.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: [SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Menu Card Graphics
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:04:23 PM »
I'll go ahead and share this here, since it's related to menu stuff and I don't really feel like creating a new topic for it. Mods, feel free to move it to a new topic if that bothers you.

If you're very particular about pixel art scaling like I am, and the newly stretched font doesn't spark joy for you, this replaces the stretched font with an unstretched version. It increases the spacing between lines a bit, but I don't think that's a problem, and arguably makes the spacing better in some cases (such as pre-level texts).

Technically, you could replace it with the original file and it would work just fine, but then it'll be a bit off center in cases where the text is supposed to appear centered. This version's canvas is the same size as the new one, so it'll be properly centered.

Replace menu_font.png in gfx/menu with this one to install it.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Graphics
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 11:26:50 PM »
It probably makes more sense for this to be a general "graphics sharing" thread, for any part of NeoLemmix that allows custom graphics. To begin with, here is the customised Floater sprite that I use (with the red and white umbrella) if anyone fancies it.

It's a high resolution sprite, so it goes into NeoLemmix/styles/default/lemmings-hr, and only appears when playing in high res mode.

Enjoy! And feel free to share some of your graphics here as well :lemcat:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:28:11 AM by WillLem »

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
Here's a sketch for the Shimmier as well: it shows the height of the "Reacher" state, so you can see whether or not a lem will be able to grab the terrain above them.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 05:23:45 PM »
Keep in mind that the shadow shows the lemming's foot position, but the lemming grabs at its hand position. This would be a good thing to indicate on the sketch. Ask me a bit later today to dig up the technical details.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Here is a collection of modified traps for the orig and ohno styles.  Feel free to use these by replacing the objects in NeoLemmix/styles/(insert style here)/objects.

N.B. 1 - This will only affect your copy of NeoLemmix: anybody else playing levels made with these objects will simply see them however they are in their own copy.

N.B. 2 - Do not change the names of these objects, otherwise any levels you make with them will not work for other people at all.

Here's what I've changed:

:lemming: ohno_brick - The stomper trap is now non-animated (unless triggered).
:lemming: ohno_bubble - The zapper trap now has a glowing animation rather than the 'zig-zagging barrel' one.
:lemming: ohno_rock - The lizard trap has more than twice the number of frames; its eyes now dart about randomly as well as occasionally blinking, similar to a real-life chameleon.
:lemming: ohno_rock - The weed trap is now non-animated (unless triggered) and is now identical to the original.
:lemming: ohno_snow - The icicle trap is now non-animated (unless triggered).

:lemming: orig_crystal - The large electric trap now glows whilst electrocuting, the electricity lines are a more "electric" colour, and the lemming glows white.
:lemming: orig_crystal - The small disc-shaped electric trap now has a scrolling shimmer, the electricity lines are a more "electric" colour, and the lemming glows white.
:lemming: orig_dirt - The rock trap is now non-animated (unless triggered); I have also included a version of the rock trap which drips less frequently, for those who prefer the blood drip animation.
:lemming: orig_marble - The stomper trap is now non-animated (unless triggered).
:lemming: orig_pillar - The rope trap's light is a brighter shade of green.
:lemming: orig_pillar - All spike traps (large and small) are now non-animated (unless triggered).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
Please note: the UP/DOWN arrows for the Group card are baked into the card itself, so it's important to include the blank sign_group_up/down arrow graphics if you wish to use this set for your copy of NL.

I have to ask why you've done this. Using a blank graphic would break the highlight outline (and maybe the functionality? Depends exactly how you've done these blank ones) when the user mouses over the up / down arrows, and given that the background is one solid color it could not be easier to properly split them into their own graphics.
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 12:20:18 AM »
I have to ask why you've done this

Because when I tried making the buttons as separate graphics, they overlapped and didn't look quite right. I think that the buttons can only be a certain size, that may be the issue.

I'll try it again and see if I can get it to look any better with the buttons as separate graphics.

N.B. Using blank graphics for the buttons does prevent the highlight shadow, but it doesn't affect the functionality of the button "area".

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 02:19:08 AM »
This isn't a graphic as such, but it's the "Hobo" font used in various Lemmings releases. It's the one that looks like this:

Enjoy! :lemcat:

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:08 AM »
Here are some "legacy" version of the menu cards, for those who prefer the retro look. They're at the correct size for the 12.10+ menu and are blank, so you can add whatever text/font you wish.

Note that the UP/DOWN arrows for the Group card can now be a separate graphic, so I've also now provided these as separate images as well (the previous version had these baked into the card).

I've also included a scroller which matches the same yellow as the Config card.

There are also versions of the cards which have subtle shading on them, as a nice alternative to the "new look" NeoLemmix menu. Note that these have the font baked onto them, but it's easy enough to remove this in a PNG editor if you wish to do so:

Download the attached zip for the full set. To install, simply replace the existing graphics in NeoLemmix/gfx/menu
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:23:40 AM by WillLem »

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 11:31:22 PM »
I'm currently intermittently working on an update to the NeoLemmix menu graphics which zanzindorf, Lana and I are contributing to. For now, here's a version of the NeoLemmix logo without the lemmings.

To install, place it in NeoLemmix/gfx/menu and choose replace.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: [SHARING TOPIC][PLAYER] Custom Graphics for NeoLemmix
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 03:51:19 AM »
I made my own NeoLemmix program icon. It's simple, but I'm sharing it here for anyone who wants it.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 04:00:04 AM »
I tweaked the logo graphics for 22 community level packs. I updated a few to use the "sign_group" style with proper buttons and a few have the font resized to fit the scroller.
I also edited the missing face portion on the original game logos and created logos for a few packs that I have been playing that had none.

I posted this somewhere else on here, but this is probably a better place for it.

I put way too much time in this during my vacation and I hope someone will enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:17:24 AM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 01:20:17 AM »
Here's a fixed xmas walker lemming image.

The one included with neo lemmix  has a glitch, a little white dot that appears for no good reason near the top of his hat when walking left.

I just erased the dot and it looks perfect now.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 01:21:53 AM »
^ I've asked WillLem to take a look at that (as he designed the high-res Default and Xmas sprites), and will put out an update to the Xmas style once he's looked at it (and, if need be, made any other adjustments).
My Lemmings projects

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 08:49:25 PM »
re: xmas Walker sprite

I've emailed namida with a corrected copy of the Walker sprite - thanks for pointing this one out @Jeremy, I thought I'd already dealt with this but apparently not.

The copy I've emailed to namida also corrects the skin colour (a few of the pixels were incorrect).

EDIT: I've now thoroughly checked all default and xmas hi-res sprites for things like stray pixels, missing colours, incorrect shading, etc. I've PMd them to namida and, pending discussion of the changes, they should be ready in time for a future update.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 03:23:54 AM by WillLem »

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »
Could you post your touched up sprites here for us to use early?
BTW. I made the Xmas lemmings for super lemmini. Back in 2015.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 07:31:14 PM »
Could you post your touched up sprites here for us to use early?
BTW. I made the Xmas lemmings for super lemmini. Back in 2015.

They're pretty much ready now, just having WillLem do one final check after some tweaks I made to them and then they should be available for download later today.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 11:57:39 PM »
ill share the list of my custom sprites in the event anyone wants to use them please note theres a lot of them so i dnt know whether to wait till ppl ask or post zipped files, ive also gotta update all of them to add custom laserers and sliders

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 01:17:02 PM »
Yes, update them and post a zip file. I'm always interested in graphics tweaks.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2021, 10:03:38 PM »
Here's my own personal recolored Nuke icon.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2021, 01:50:16 AM »
Here are my customized arrows from the "gfx\helpers-hr" folder.

I always thought the original arrows were too round and fat.

Edit: Made a bit narrower today.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:02:29 AM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »
Yes, update them and post a zip file. I'm always interested in graphics tweaks.

I will get onto it as soon as  i get a chance to do the sliders and laserers

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 03:22:04 AM »
Here's my personal graphics for Gfx\panel-hr

I like purple. And I prefer only a slight 3D effect. All of these icons are different than the original. Some only slightly.

If you don't like purple you could easily color-swap the two tones to any other two colors...

Edit: updated a couple things.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 06:39:16 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »
Here's an alternate Quit sign.

The quit sign should always be red, right? It was always red, not green.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:04:10 AM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 04:22:02 PM »
Here's The two cursors colored to match Lemmings 2- Tribes.

I swapped The black for blue since in tribes the background is blue and NL it is black.

I included two photos I took of the actual screen of lemmings 2 tribes.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:26:14 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 12:45:31 AM »
Here's some of my versions of the pause button. They're just the Lemmings 95 icon with color swaps.
The Yellow one, is the original color. These are cropped and ready for NeoLemmini.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:26:46 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2021, 01:52:02 AM »
Here's a few more icons from Lemmings 95. These might be usable for someone making a custom level pack or something.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 06:23:25 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 03:37:03 AM »
Here's an alternate Quit sign.

The quit sign should always be red, right? It was always red, not green.

At a quick look via Google Images, the only version I notice with a red quit sign is the Amiga version of Holiday Lemmings.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2021, 10:16:46 PM »

pics enlarged for ease of view if you usse these anywhere i would appreciate a name check since i spent many many many many many hours on them

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2021, 10:18:34 PM »
rest of sprites

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
ok the picture messed up a bit there are white bits missing and some grey bits but the actual sprites are all complete

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2021, 02:16:11 AM »
Not graphics, but still worth sharing. Here's a copy of the Amiga Lemmings music (as featured in most of my remix packs*). I also use these tracks as the main music rotation in my copy of NL. The differences between these tracks and the DOS tracks are only very subtle, but here they are for those who want them.

*N.B. Be sure to keep these tracks in their own folder Amiga_Lemmings_Music for them to work with my remix packs.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2022, 08:18:56 PM »
For those who like the legacy menu cards, you might also like to have yours aligned onto a single row, like this:

This is done in title.nxmi, which can be found in the data folder of NeoLemmix's main directory. Place the attached file into NeoLemmix/data and your menu cards will be spaced like they are in the above screenshot (NOTE: this will affect all cards for all packs, unless the pack itself specifies a different layout).

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »
The clown chomp trap, converted from the original DMA concept drawing:

:lemming: Click here to see a video demonstration of the trap