Author Topic: Level Design Contest #21 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 21072 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Level Design Contest #21 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
All zips only need to be unzipped inside the main folder of your NeoLemmix Player!

NeoLemmix Level Pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr5nj7n1cxccqoq/Contest_21.zip?dl=1

Music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/whzkuukb663f126/Contest_21_music.zip?dl=1

Styles: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5122.0

As Dullstar's l2-classic style is quite new and likely to be used quite a bit in the future given that it's an original style. I would like to ask people to give this a "final test" - so check the trigger areas tiles etc and if something seems off to you report it to Dullstar in the dedicated topic. Rather have critical fixes now when there are just some single levels using it! ;)
This shall not sow doubt in Dullstar's work, I just think extra testing for quite central styles is a good thing especially when it's early in the life cycle!

Rule 1 Levels

Armani's "NeoLemtris" (V6)
Crane's "Steeplechase" (V3)
Dullstar's "Alice" (V7)
IchoTolot's "I'm Loving This Circus!" (V1)
Mantha16's "Jump, Jive and Wail" (V2)
NieSch's "Step Up Your Game" (V2)
Shmolem's "Leap of Faith" (V3)
Ericderkovits' "This room is boiling" (V5)
WillLem's "HoPPiNg_mAd" (V3)

Rule 2 Levels

Armani's "Hornet Flight" (V2)
IchoTolot's "Tribute To V" (V1)
Mantha16's "6 of One, Half a Dozen of the Other" (V1)
NieSch's "Welcome to the Twilight Zone" (V3)

Rule 3 Levels

Armani's "Marina Bay Sands" (V6)
Crane's "Hell's Challenger" (V5)
IchoTolot's "Temple Of Escher" (V1)
Mantha16's "Lemception" (V1)
Nessy's "Abandoned Memory" (V1)

The R3 levels shall represent:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bonus

WillLem's "The Diving Area" (V5)

You can check the rules details again here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5030.0

Playing Phase will be closed on 7th of November!
Updates will close on 4th of November!

Note: This topic is for posting your comments, replays, etc for the levels. If you wish to post an update to your level, or enter a late submission, please do so in the Updates Topic instead.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:20:26 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #21 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
As I am busy this weekend (meetup with Simon 8-)), I will probably post the first pack update at the beginning of next week.

In the meantime you can still get all updates in the update topic.

I will also record myself playing through the levels during the next week and then upload my solutions as usual.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »
Hello everyone/contest entrants,

As you may all be aware of, I'm the one who recently solved (second player to have done so after Armani) all of Icho's United and am now just going back and resolving the remaining 6 backroute patched levels. Consequently, Icho reached out to me via PM while the submission phase was still open and asked if I was interested in backroute testing his LDC #21 levels, which I of course accepted the offer. This is the very first time I have ever pre-tested contest levels, so the fact that he personally reached out to me for that is quite an honor. :thumbsup: I'm guessing it's due to the appreciation of helping find a lot of backroutes to the final two ranks of United, as well as just how he was amazed at my solving/backrouting abilities and perseverance and determination of not throwing in the towel. Just a heads up to you all on his 3 levels, they're great ones, and, with the exception of the second version of R1 which surprisingly gave me trouble due to me overthinking it, they're still deceivingly tough nuts to crack. Let's see if any of you can figure them out :P Given all of you are skilled solvers of high caliber, I know you'll be able to figure out Icho's levels ;) By my pre-testing, only 1 update to R1 and 2 updates to R2 were needed.

With this being said, I would like to let you know that for future contests, that any of you are more than welcome to do the same and reach out to me and ask if I be interested in pre-testing your contest entries. Of course, that doesn't mean for all of you to do that, as it's best if I don't see everyone's contest entries ahead of time prior to the playing phase, especially if I decide to participate myself in the future by entering at least one level.

In regards to level designing, I know that I have said in the beginning earlier this year when I finally made myself known to the forums that I wouldn't ever get into it. What has inspired me to give it a go is due to the Bonus rank of United that I played last month and that I will definitely be participating in the LDC. However, a few days ago I decided that I'll skip out on this one due to having ran out of time and will for sure enter the next one. So, no contest entry from me this time, although let me do make this clear: Even though the submission phase has recently ended, I'm well aware that I can technically still enter up until the updates phase ends. As I have said before, I'm not going to this time, particularly since I don't have any good ideas for any of the three rules for this particular contest, but rest assured that I will definitely participate in the next LDC after this current one is done ;) In other words, I will participate in LDC #22 as my first contest :)

Now that the playing phase has started, I'm looking forward and am excited to play the other 13 entries from the rest of you that I haven't seen yet and seeing if I can figure any of your levels out. This will be the very first LDC where I will be playing levels and posting replays/feedback to any contest levels I'm able to figure out and seeing if I ended up backrouting any other people's contest entries.

Happy playing/level solving and backroute hunting, everyone!     
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
Just got a replay to my R3 level that managed to save 2 skills (digger and miner).

It's a level where I will accept most solutions so keep the variants coming! ;)

Let's see if someone manages to save even more skills!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
Already, got a late submission from ericderkovits! :)

The level+music files of it are now included.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 11:05:45 PM »
@Dullstar Find my replay for your R1 level. This is quite possibly the biggest backroute I have ever seen, considering that my solution doesn't even fit the criteria for the rule: I don't use any jumpers or any skills besides the climber, miner, and builder. Possibly a big oversight on your part? I highly doubt it's the tileset, and so far I haven't encountered anything unusual with it, although I'll certainly let you know if I do.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 11:56:27 PM »
RE: Icho

I just noticed you put my level listed under rule 3, actually it's rule 1, although it's correct in the pack.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 03:18:55 AM »
Here are some replays for the Rule 1 levels I managed to solve in my first session! :thumbsup:

Armani (click to show/hide)

Dullstar (click to show/hide)

IchoTolot (click to show/hide)

Shmolem (click to show/hide)

I attempted NieSch's level for a solid hour and a half and I couldn't figure it out yet. I also didn't get a chance to attempt Mantha16's level yet. I'll have to get back to you two on your levels! Finally, I tested Crane's level before the contest so I know that replay is okay but I'll include it on here anyway ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 03:24:38 AM »
@Nessy regarding Dullstar's R1: Yup, the exact same as mine! The only difference is

Regarding Icho's R1 rule: I pre-tested all of Icho's contest levels, and as he would agree with me: "Intended!" :thumbsup:

Also, ericderkovits' R1 level is a late submission, so you have that level to solve as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:38:55 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 05:16:13 AM »
Very nice looking level and good use of the Tetris music and theming :) I don't think my solution is 100% intended though as I had one cloner left over (which I used on a random lemming at the end to meet the save requirement). It still took me more or less an hour just to find this solution though!

Your solution to my level is 95% intended! :thumbsup: (That means 5% is not intended :evil:)
Still, your solution is very closed to intended and I think you can easily find the intended solution for the fixed version because
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 06:21:46 AM »
I couldn't wait to see what other people made for rule3, so I played rule3 levels first. :-\

Rule3_02 Crane's Hell's Challenger

Rule3_03 Ichotolot's Temple Of Escher

Rule3_04 Mantha16's Lemception

Rule3_05 Nessy's Abandoned Memory
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:35 AM »
I should really probably have someone backroute test these because I never do a good job of it myself. :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 07:18:40 AM »
Listed eric's level in the correct rule now.

@Shmolem: I saw your update, but you attached an old format level there so it's not eligible. Only new format nxlvl is permitted. If you fix your fix then I will include it in the next pack update. :)

Nessy's solution to my R1 is 100% intended. Good job! :thumbsup:

I am very impressed to Armani's solution of my R3 level! Not only 5 skills saved, but perfectly one of each on top of that! :thumbsup:

I could maybe make it a returning level in my next pack where the skillcount goes down from 10 of each to 8, to 6, to 5 and finally to 4. ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 07:42:00 AM »
All rightie, I got to take a look at the R1 and R2 levels, and here are my replays for them. I wasn't able to solve all the R1 levels, specifically, crane's, mantha16's, and niesch's, but I was able to solve all the R2 levels. Wow, I got to say these are all nice and quite tough levels! :thumbsup: It's not a bad thing at all if they manage to stump even me. Quite the contrary. I love a good challenge. Keep in mind that until this contest, the only levels I have ever played are from Icho, namida, and strato. Everyone else's levels I have never played, and so I don't know how tough their levels are or can be. Indeed, for my very first time playing mantha16's and niesch's levels, they're quite tough!

For Icho's levels, I was a pre-tester, and so I won't include my feedback for them.

R1 Feedback for the levels I did solve:

Armani's Neolemtris R1 V2 (click to show/hide)

Dullstar's Alice R1 V1

Already sent you my replay and gave you my feedback earlier. I saw Nessy's replay and his is almost the exact same severe backroute as mine.

Shmolem's Leap of Faith R1 V2 (click to show/hide)

Regarding crane's, mantha16's and niesch's levels, so far they're a no solve for me. NO HINTS YET, please! For crane's level, it's got to be the tightest time limit level I have ever played. It's not a bad thing, since I don't mind time limits, but it's quite frustrating because I always keep running out of time as the final two lemmings are exiting. I'm not sure how I can squeeze in a couple of extra seconds, but I'll keep trying.

For mantha16's level, yup, I agree with the others who said that you underestimate the difficulty of your levels. Both of your R1 and R2 are deceivingly tough, but I was able to solve your R2 (see feedback below). For your R1, it's still a no solve, but I'm going to keep trying. I'm probably just missing some obvious stuff that's preventing me from solving it. Also, I'm not a fan of the tileset, but thank you for not making the lemmings pitch black just like the terrain/objects! ;)

Finally, for niesch's R1, no solve as well after having spent about a half hour or so. I'm probably just overcomplicating an otherwise tricky but not terribly difficult level. Nevertheless, I'm going to keep trying.   

Feedback for R2 Levels

Armani's Hornet Flight R2 V1 (click to show/hide)

I haven't taken a look at the R3 levels yet, but I will soon! Great levels so far, everyone! Keep up the great work. :thumbsup: It's great to finally be able to play levels from other authors/players besides Icho's, namida's, and strato's.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
Nice backroute on Hell's Challenger.  Hopefully the fix (most of the barrel is now steel) won't break the level in some other way.