Author Topic: My 1.43 Editor for Editing Superlemmini .ini files  (Read 5128 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
My 1.43 Editor for Editing Superlemmini .ini files
« on: September 23, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
ok here is my files from my Dropbox

I had to break up into more than 1 link as it wouldn't download the whole editor from 1 link.

anyways here are the steps to follow( make sure you do exactly what's listed)

steps for getting my 1.43 editor

1) create a folder where you want the editor to be (ie neolemmix editor 1.43)
editor 1.43
main directory link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/33rfpt7g7xoce5d/AAAEq4R42iavTuX2OcYESxHca?dl=1 (just extract to your main editor folder)

2) now create a styles folder
then inside the styles folder create subfolders
cheapo
link for cheapo styles https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8pt69i26c7pj0a/AABsmH2XIGAVDqfSeufpJx-Ra?dl=1 (just extract to the cheapo folder inside the styles folder)
3 CustLemm
link for CustLemm https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2y1k2401bva8gsf/AAB7ONnyLJ8ZBsQQfcUR9eEUa?dl=1 (just extract to the Custlemm folder inside the styles folder)
4) Lemmini
just download file 1 upload (and put it into the Lemmini folder inside the styles folder)
styles.ini
5) NeoLemmix
link for Neolemmix https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x59a931unaz94gn/AACjSD_6cRZgY48PApWbxU7sa?dl=1 (just extract to Neolemmix folder inside the styles folder)
6)Superlemmini
link for Superlemmini https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkac8u5h17czqah/AAAKS4Yb7JiM0Ivar17igmAha?dl=1 (just extract to Superlemmini folder inside the styles folder)
7)and just download file 2 upload (and put it inside the styles folder(not in any subfolder)
neolemmixstyles.ini

so your 1.43 folder should look like this

editor folder

Compile (files inside after extracting from main editor link in step 1)

styles
                    cheapo (cheapo styles inside after extracting from link in step 2)
                    CustLem (CustLem files inside after extracting from link in step 3)
                    Lemmini (1 file from download-styles.ini) from step 4
                    NeoLemmix (Neolemmix files inside after extracting from link in step 5)
                    Superlemmini (Superlemmini files inside after extracting from link in step 6)
                    NeoLemmixStyles (1 file from download-NeoLemmixStyles.ini(config file) from step 7

The following ones will be in main folder after extracting from link in step 1

how to use special graph maps
NeoLemmix app(1.43 to open .npx packs)
NeoLemmixEditor(Use this-this is the actual editor to start to open your .ini files)
NeoLemmixEditor(config file)
NeoLemmixHotkeys(config file)
NeoLemmixSettings(config file)
NeoLemmixStyles(config file)
ReadMe(a readme file)

and that's it. now to use, just start the NeoLemmixEditor(App) and open a Superlemmini.ini level (all the styles will be in the Superlemmini styles folder-including Reunion's and Zanzindorfs 3 ones
I got from the forum that he posted). Also choose Superlemminis option(not Neolemmix as it may cause Superlemmini to crash) when opening a Superlemmini level(.ini)

And if there are any questions just post them and I will try to help out.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: My 1.43 Editor for Editing Superlemmini .ini files
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
Hey WillLem here is my 1.43n-c post for editing Superlemmini levels. Make sure to follow the steps carefully.

Edit: had to edit post, since it reported error with dropbox. Have to breakup the dropbox.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:23:04 AM »
Thanks for your info Eric. I followed all instructions (and, in fact, my copy of the 1.43 is already set up exactly as described) and unfortunately I'm still unable to create Lemmini levels.

When I save a level to .ini format from 1.43 (having created it as a SuperLemmini level), it can open in Lemmini, but the entrance hatch and exit are missing. If I save to .lvl format, Lemmini gives the error message "incorrect format" and won't open the level at all.

@kaywhyn, if you'd be happy to explain exactly what you did in order to save the levels to Lemmini format from your copy of 1.43, that would be great.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:33:40 AM by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 07:55:10 AM »
Sure thing. All I did was load up your .ini levels, select Lemmini as the style, and then saved it as an .ini file. That's it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:08:34 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
Hmm, OK. This is the error I'm getting when I try to load a level with Lemmini as the style...

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that there is only a "styles.ini" file in the styles/Lemmini folder, and nothing else, so there is nothing for the Editor to refer to. Investigating now...

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
Yep, that was the problem. I've copied everything from styles/SuperLemmini into styles/Lemmini, and it now works. Crisis averted 8-)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
yes I have all the styles in both the Superlemmini and Lemmini folders of the 1.43 editor, including icho's and zanzindorfs. I was wondering what was happening there, since I didn't have any
problems with either engine. I didn't know it was because you didn't copy the styles from the Superlemmini into the Lemmini folder.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »
@WillLem glad to hear that everything is working! :thumbsup: I would had spoken up that it might had been due to the styles not being in the directory based on the video you posted, but I wasn't sure since I had assumed that you already had all the styles folders in place and that for some very odd reason the editor didn't recognize that the styles were in the same directory as the NL editor. I got to say the 1.43 editor is quite weird, because sometimes it complains that certain styles are missing even though you have the .dat file in the same directory. I experienced a similar problem in the last several days when I was trying to get a pack compatible only with this version of the NL player and had nearly given up on getting it to work because the game kept crashing with an error, but I revisited it a few days ago and with a bit of playing around I finally succeeded in getting the pack to work.

Now that you managed to get it working, I'm definitely looking forward to your future creations for Lemmini/Superlemmini :thumbsup: These engines could definitely use some more loving, and AFAIK Ron Stadard was the last person from earlier this year to make a pack that's playable on several engines, including SL.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 04:39:04 AM »
Just so you know, redistribution of Windows Lemmings resources extracted by Lemmini (and, by extension, SuperLemmini) is prohibited, according to the Legal Stuff section found at the Lemmini website:
Lemmini is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Use it at your own risk.

The resources used are under copyright of Psygnosis/Sony. Therefore only legal owners of "Lemmings for Windows" are allowed to play Lemmini.
No code of the original game is used, also no illegal form of reverse engineering of an original game was performed to create Lemmini.

Lemmini itself (the game engine) is freeware in the sense of "free for all to use". Download it, give it to your friends or whatever.
If you intend to put it as download on your site, please make a reference to the original home page. Same is true for distribution on magazine CDs/DVDs.
Anyway, to respect the rights of the original copyright holders, I explicitly forbid to distribute Lemmini with the "Lemmings for Windows" resources in any form. If you intend to do so, please contact the copyright holders.
Please note that also the distribution of the resources extracted by Lemmini is not allowed; neither with or without the Lemmini engine. If you need help to extract the resources from the WinLemm data for your own Lemmings port, just contact me or have a look at the source code.

As of version 0.82, Lemmini is "free software", as all parts of the source are released under licenses approved by the Free Software Foundation. See chapter Source Code for details.
Lemmini uses code by Martin Cameron and Jef Poskanzer. See above  for references.

Yes, this includes repackaged resources, like some of your NeoLemmix Editor packs (specifically, 1 and 6). So I recommend removing or editing them to not include any Lemmini or SuperLemmini files.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
Just so you know, redistribution of Windows Lemmings resources extracted by Lemmini (and, by extension, SuperLemmini) is prohibited

I fully respect the fact that you are concerned with the legalities of using original work, and rightly so. However...

Sony have no artistic claim whatsoever over the Windows Lemmings resources. It's been 26 years since WinLemm was released, and the resources are already downloadable from various places (including the forums) with no consequences. I say this as a twice owner of the Windows Lemmings 95 CD (I lost my first copy and bought a second one from eBay, which I still have).

(Add to that the fact that (Neo)Lemmix has been freely distributing the resources extracted from DOS for several years with not so much as a sideways glance from either Psygnosis or Sony.)

Quite honestly, given the hideous direction that Sony have taken Lemmings in, I think it's safe to say that they have no interest in the original games whatsoever.

So, as far as redistributing the WinLemm resources goes, I think we're good ;P

P.S. I'm sure you won't/(can't) agree, and I fully understand the reasons why. It's not my intention to put you in a difficult position by making these comments, and of course the right thing to do is to respect copyright.

But still. It's worth saying! ;P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:16:32 AM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »
(Add to that the fact that (Neo)Lemmix has been freely distributing the resources extracted from DOS for several years with not so much as a sideways glance from either Psygnosis or Sony.)

NeoLemmix did not use (Super)Lemmini to extract those resources. The issue Tsyu is raising is not about Psygnosis / Sony's copyright, it's about (Super)Lemmini's licence conditions.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 10:19:04 AM »
NeoLemmix did not use (Super)Lemmini to extract those resources. The issue Tsyu is raising is not about Psygnosis / Sony's copyright, it's about (Super)Lemmini's licence conditions.

I see. In that case, why impose such conditions? It's a fan-made clone, after all; it's not making anyone any money, so... what's the issue? ???

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »
I see. In that case, why impose such conditions? It's a fan-made clone, after all; it's not making anyone any money, so... what's the issue? ???

Likely, the author of Lemmini did it to minimize the risk of legal action, and Tsyu was obliged by Lemmini's source code's licence to retain this condition in SuperLemmini.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
Likely, the author of Lemmini did it to minimize the risk of legal action

I guess I can understand this, but... since Lemmini wasn't trying to make money (or promote anything that makes money), I'm pretty sure that risk was minimal if present at all.

Even YouTube allows people to use copyrighted material in their videos, they just remove the possibility of monetising those videos. So, that would indicate to me that the "is this trying to make money?" question is very much a factor in these sorts of things.

Anyways, it just means that SL has a frustrating setup process which is a shame really; its spirit is very much that of remaining faithful to the original games and not claiming the artistic work as its own in any way. Whoever distributed the clone currently on the MS store clearly doesn't have the same level of care and consideration as Volker and Tsyu; to my mind, the (Super)Lemmini devs have earned the right to distribute the assets by making a top quality clone!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:35:53 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 10:44:56 AM »
Incidentally... the (Super)Lemmini versions of the WinLemm resources include the Xmas graphics as well as the "horned" Fire Exit.

Where did these come from, out of interest? Were they manually reproduced or have they been extracted from somewhere else?