Author Topic: Wibble's thoughts on Lix Lemforum levels  (Read 24958 times)

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
Re: Wibble's thoughts on Lix Lemforum levels
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
At last...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
At last...

Congrats on solving.
Concerning Proxima's solution (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:04:47 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2020, 05:11:42 PM »
I think I'd have been there for months trying without those hints. Every other level I've had hints for has not required nearly so much!

Hopefully the solution has taught me some things I can apply to later levels - it's a bit like Snowball Battle in that a general assumption you almost always apply to levels is turned on its head

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
For Gr8 Escape think problem oriented.

Hint 1 (click to show/hide)
Hint 2 (click to show/hide)

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
Hmm...I'm going to post my thoughts as much as a way to help myself as anything on Gr8 Escape.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
I can tell you as much that

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2020, 07:09:29 PM »
Brute Fours - A very apt name for the level, I took a lot of attempts experimenting with various possible combinations. Really curious to know if mine is the only solution, feels like more should be possible.

100% Built by Lixes aka Tribute to Tribute to M. C Escher? - I'm 1 bridge short, feels like I'm so close but so far.

Waltz in C Sharp Miner - Felt the key to this level (geddit?) was
. I don't know if I did a backroute or if
was intended? A nice level again presenting lots of possible options and asking you to optimise the limited skills available. Given the most known composer of a piece of this nature is Chopin, surely the traps should have been the spinning blades?

Wait Why is There a Tree? - Presumably, there is a tree because
. Included here for completion in order but I haven't spent too long on this yet.

Get Hype - Solved this one fairly quickly after abandoning the red herring idea of
Timing is a bit fiddly

All Aboard the Pain Train - Given the fun I had with COTG it would be something of an irony if I solved this straightaway. Funnily enough, I haven't, though like WWITAT? its a level I can take a bit more time to explore I think.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »
Finally getting round to watching some replays to my levels.

Brute Fours:

Waltz in C Sharp Miner:

Toccata is exactly as intended.

The Circular Ruins:

Thomas the Climber is intended. As for the title, it's both a pun on Thomas the Rhymer and a very obscure hint. (The name "Thomas" means "twin".)

Buridan's Lix:

Rumble to the Bottom: Close enough to intended.

I'm Gonna Make You Mine: Not intended, but this is a level where anything that works is acceptable.

Dividing Three By Two: Good solution.

Down Among the Dead Lix: Also good. I think my solution does use two bombers to turn around the right group, but yours is a bit more elegant.

Lixster Quadrille: This is another "anything goes" level. Yours is a good solution.

This Lix is Your Lix: Much nicer than my solution! I will definitely leave this in.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:49:08 PM by Proxima »

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
Chopin = Chopping = Blades? A simple pun.

Brute Fours - replay with 18 lix saved attached, so the save requirement can go up to that to get around my unintended solution.

Buridan's Lix - hints would be appreciated, even with a limited skill set I'm not seeing it. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:04:11 PM by Wibble »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
Hopefully the solution has taught me some things I can apply to later levels - it's a bit like Snowball Battle in that a general assumption you almost always apply to levels is turned on its head
It's funny the way you state this, because I think you've probably used the trick/idea stated in spoilers probably a dozen of times already (just not necessarily with a digger). And I'm sure it won't be the last :P

Alien Invasion -- This level has always been riddled with backroutes (which explains the Lixes spawning in the wall...).
Your solution is very close in spirit to what I had in mind; mine is arguably a tiny bit more elegant (no fiddly skill placements), but I don't think I can remove your variation.

COTG - I think the solution I found first is the same as Simon's, and I wouldn't say it's a backroute (but maybe Proxima's opinion differs).
I remember struggling with this for a bit as well though, and

100% Built by Lixes -- This is probably not much of a hint, but I'll spoiler it just in case:
And another very loose one, just to taunt you :)

Buridan -- Left exit: There are actually (at least two) different ways of doing this! I'll clue at only one of them.
Buridan -- Right exit:

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »
Progress update - I have 9 levels left to solve in Vicious now - The Gr8 Escape, Buridan's Lix, 100% Built by Lixes, Wait Why is There a Tree, All Aboard the Pain Train, Tinker Tailor Soldier Lix, Theresa Falls Up the Stairs, Heed the Traffic Light, Halfway Down the Stairs, and Chasm.

I have also solved a couple of Hopeless levels, (Division of Labour and Empty Space is Hardly a Waste, both done fairly quickly) -  haven't really spent long on anything in Hopeless yet though.

Feel like I'm close with some and clueless with others...

For the remaining solved vicious levels:

Survival of the Craftiest - Solved 1st attempt, the only fiddly bit to me was
. Liked the level in terms of just how big it looked (without being onerous in length)

Dream the Impossible Dream - Also solved fairly quickly, (fewer than 10 attempts)
. Feels to me like a lot of the alternative routes can be ruled out very quickly?

Triangle Inequality - Reminded me of Tribute to Benny Hill in that its about clumping the group together, but it seems much easier than that level - feels like it should be in Cunning at the latest? As a level at that difficulty level its a nice idea.

3.1.1.1 - I felt it was very generous with the skills available, and the terrain made it pretty clear where to deploy most of them, so it only took a couple of goes.

Finale - Solved this more quickly than Toccata, though of course Toccata has to go first. And with the artwork used in Toccata you can't even switch the names.
. Like SOTC I liked the fact the level had scale but did not take a long time for any attempt.

Strange that 4 of the last 5 levels in Vicious have been relatively tame, idk if that matches others experiences?

Also attached is a better but still failed attempt for Buridan's lix, an optimisation of the earlier one. 8 lix saved now, so there is still something I'm doing wrong.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 07:03:54 PM »
Triangle Inequality - Reminded me of Tribute to Benny Hill in that its about clumping the group together, but it seems much easier than that level - feels like it should be in Cunning at the latest? As a level at that difficulty level its a nice idea.

3.1.1.1 - I felt it was very generous with the skills available, and the terrain made it pretty clear where to deploy most of them, so it only took a couple of goes.

[...]

Strange that 4 of the last 5 levels in Vicious have been relatively tame, idk if that matches others experiences?

Your solution to Triangle Inequality is a known backroute.

As I indicated in an earlier post I agree that 3.1.1.1 feels on the easier side for the rank and could in my view be ranked down or come earlier in the rank. The level design indicates indeed much there.

I think I myself backrouted Dream the Impossible Dream, so I can't assess how hard it is intendedly (can't tell you as well if your route is intended or not at the moment). I can't remember Finale (in comparision to Toccata) very well, so I can't assess there either.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2020, 09:17:52 PM »
The backroute to Triangle Inequality being known must have slipped me, because it completely trivializes the level.
Here's a fix (I hope):

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
Finale is intended. I agree with it being easier than Toccata, but as you said, can't really switch them :P (Incidentally, all three levels were originally created in Cheapo using Repton graphics -- but the level now called "Prelude" used Repton 1 graphics, while "Finale" used Prelude graphics and was called "Prelude". So the ordering made more sense then.)

Survival of the Craftiest is anything-goes. Nice trick with the batter 8-)

Dream the Impossible Dream is a backroute.

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
Halfway Down the Stairs - Nice timing level, feels like I may have backrouted it somehow as I saved 2 more than required and had skills remaining?
. A 1 of everything puzzle which is nothing new as an idea but interesting to see how many ways you can have lix climb up terrain with no bridges.