Author Topic: Wibble's thoughts on Lix Lemforum levels  (Read 24865 times)

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
Re: Wibble's thoughts on Lix Lemforum levels
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »
Cornerstone - Really liked the design of this, made me feel dumb for not getting thow to do it at first then smart when I worked it out! I think the hallmark of a good level in general is that it should either look really simple and actually be tough, or look horrible until you see something to simplify it. This fulfills the first of the criteria very nicely.

Repeating Patterns - As a maths teacher I approve of the fractal. Nice to see a level where you need to carefully think about where you use your turners.

The Crimson Room - Looks easier than it is I think - seeing where to save on skills to have enough I found quite tough. This was one of the later levels I completed. 

Narbacular Drop -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duality - I don't know if my solution is intended but can't see another

BOGOF part 2 - Nice puzzle, I like that the differences to BOGOF 1 in skills are subtle yet make for such a different solution.

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
I'm Gonna Make You Mine - From the replay I think I need at least 2 more miners. Or there is some technique that I am missing that saves skills. I don't see how to improve there. 

Passing Engagement - Feels like this should be an easy level with only 4 skills. I think 1 of my assumptions in the spoiled text must be incorrect but don't know which one.

Hints for either or both of these levels would be appreciated, though I have a feeling the first one is more a case of just optimising the plan I already have more.

The Ring of Fnargl - The polar opposite of Passing Engagement, a level that looks horrific yet was completed first attempt. I like the overall appearance of this one.

Hellfire - I liked this level, a nice puzzle requiring you to think about how to save on skills.

Gomen Ne Sunao Ja Nakute - Not sure if my method is the only one?

Rumble to the Bottom - As with the level above, feels like my solution may not be the only one?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:24:20 AM by Wibble »

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
To Destroy is to Construct - I liked this level, took a while to figure out

Two For His Heels - My best attempt is attached. I can see how to get an extra turner if that helps, but I am either a digger or miner short and don't see how to get that.

The Lix Who Japed - Took longer than it should have

Just Stop the Bleeding - Took a few attempts but mainly a case of working out how few skills you can get away with using on each side.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
I'm Gonna Make You Mine - From the replay I think I need at least 2 more miners. Or there is some technique that I am missing that saves skills. I don't see how to improve there. 

Passing Engagement - Feels like this should be an easy level with only 4 skills. I think 1 of my assumptions in the spoiled text must be incorrect but don't know which one.

Hints for either or both of these levels would be appreciated, though I have a feeling the first one is more a case of just optimising the plan I already have more.

Hints for Passing Engagement:

Hint 1 (click to show/hide)
Hint 2 (click to show/hide)
Hint 3 (click to show/hide)
Hint 4 (click to show/hide)
Hint 5 (click to show/hide)
Hint 6 (click to show/hide)
Hint 7 (click to show/hide)

Hints for I'm Gonna Make You Mine (; they are rather tough to give without spoilering too much):

Hint 1 (click to show/hide)
Hint 2 (click to show/hide)
Hint 3 (click to show/hide)

I can give more hints to Gonna Make You Mine if you considered all the hints and still can use some after applying them.

Good success.

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
Thanks to the hints I have now solved Passing Engagement and I'm Gonna Make You Mine. Just the right level of spoilerness!

PE - Missed something simple! My original plan was correct with 1 small but important tweak.

IGMYM -

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 08:23:34 PM »
Merge Sort -- I'm happy you like it. :) There was some discussion on where to rank it, as I was afraid it might be too obvious while other players (I think Simon?) got stuck. I'm glad there's also some middle ground.

Derailed Level - On the other hand this one took a lot of attempts.

This Is Too Much Stepping Stones -- I have never seen this solution before! I'm sure, somewhat ironically, Insane Steve would be delighted to see this solution.

Cornerstone -- Thanks for the praise! :) I was concerned the level might be a bit fiddly, but maybe it's alright after all.

Repeating Patterns -- This one turned out well by total coincidence. My usual modus operandi for making levels is having a trick in mind (e.g. from a failed solution attempt for some other level), and then building a level around it. I made the fractal and slapped a generic "10 of some skills" skill set onto it, and it turned out that with bashers this makes for a decent puzzle.
Cool to hear you're a maths teacher! Quite a few people in this forum have a background in maths or at least CS, and I've also done a few maths education related things (running maths camps, resource creation, tutoring...). I feel in some way there are quite some parallels in designing levels for puzzle games and designing a sequence of exercises for a maths topic, with exercises (ideally) building on top of each other and following logical progression to deepen the understanding of the concepts (which in puzzle games equates to the mechanics and solution strategies).

Duality -- I believe that this is a backroute.

Gomen Ne Sunao Ja Nakute - Not sure if my method is the only one?
You can make the solution idea in spoilers work, you just need to figure out the crowd management. I guess your solution would be considered a backroute, but Proxima should confirm.

Rumble to the Bottom

Two For His Heels -- You haven't requested hints yet, so I don't want to give a full fledged hint sequence yet (the way Forestidia does it seems great btw), but maybe just one vague starter hint, in case you want to look at it:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 08:44:32 PM »
Gomen Ne Sunao Ja Nakute ... You can make the solution idea in spoilers work, you just need to figure out the crowd management. I guess your solution would be considered a backroute, but Proxima should confirm.

I don't have time to look over all the replays yet (and in any case, since you are still actively playing the pack, maybe it would be better to wait until you are done) but this is quick and easy enough to answer.

The intended route (not the specific skill placements) is indicated in the following spoiler tag, and any other route is a backroute:

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 08:56:03 PM »
Gomen Ne Sunao Ja Nakute ... You can make the solution idea in spoilers work, you just need to figure out the crowd management. I guess your solution would be considered a backroute, but Proxima should confirm.

The intended route (not the specific skill placements) is indicated in the following spoiler tag, and any other route is a backroute:

Considering the shown route in the spoiler tag Wibble's solution to gomenne is a backroute.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:01:43 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 11:06:12 PM »
Merge Sort -- I'm happy you like it. :) There was some discussion on where to rank it, as I was afraid it might be too obvious while other players (I think Simon?) got stuck. I'm glad there's also some middle ground.

Older versions of Merge Sort had solid terrain near the sides, it was enticing to make holding pits here. We reranked this from Cunning to Daunting.

Current version has thin floors only, to avoid this red herring. It's possible that the current version is easier. I assumed it's still fine in Daunting, but we haven't re-tested it with new players. I believe it's still Daunting.

Merge Sort is iconic. If one gets stuck here, and then solves it, it produces the rare a-ha effect.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:11:55 PM by Simon »

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »

@Wibble: Also, loving the heck out of your comments on the levels in this pack. Been a few years since the harder stuff I wrote for it, but looking forward to your attempts at them :) Honestly a lot of what Lemmings as it was is about is trying to find wild solutions to levels that still work - so if your solution works, it works. I think every alternative route to a level I have written for Lix except for Chasm, of all levels, works. Resort if needed. Also note, backroutes exist for a reason :P

@Forestidia: Same, I'm in weird lurking mode since you've beaten a lot more of the levels I put in this pack so *shrug*
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:50:22 PM by chaos_defrost »
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
It may take longer before my next level thoughts, I have looked at some vicious levels but only completed the first 5 for now (plus the 10th one, the one with only 1 lix). Still toying with ideas for Two For His Heels, I feel I am close but just not quite there.

I'm guessing from the comments made that the intended solution for This is too much Stepping Stones is
Weirdly I wouldn't have thought of that - I think that shows I did the level on the original lemmings just by boringly making 3 well placed bridges!

I'd need more of a think on Gomen and Duality if my solutions are not the intended ones.

geoo - must admit I was thinking if I were to make a level pack my approach would be to think about failed alternative methods for levels and adapt the skillsets so those alternatives are the working method. I have an idea based on Slipping Again, and I could easily adapt I'm Gonna Make You Mine so my original method would work (but the way I ended up solving it doesn't) just by making the top block about half the thickness and removing 5 or so bridges.

And of course making a variant of This is Too Much Stepping Stones where my backroute is the intended method (for someone else to backroute) could be amusing!

Totally agree there are parallels between maths problems (and I suppose CS problems - that one isn't so much my area) and creation/solving of levels.

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2020, 04:13:22 PM »
I have now looked at the first 14 levels of Vicious, all done apart from Changing of the Guard.

Vicious  levels 1-6 - First 5 all felt like a jump down in difficulty from most of Daunting. , but that said the first few of each difficulty so far have felt easier than the end of the previous one.

Dividing Three By Two - I like the puzzle to this, the part of the solution I missed for a while was

Conundrum - This one didn't take long. I feel the main element to this could have been used as part of a bigger level. 

Endeavor  - Aside from the US English spelling this is up there with my favourites so far. It had 2 elements to the solution that I have not used before

Low Profile - Completed first attempt, feels more like late Quirky/early Cunning in difficulty. I don't mind having a breather every so often mind ;)

Betcha Can't Save Just One - A few things about this level have me curious. Firstly, is it possible to complete this in any of the 4 sanctuaries? Secondly, the title. It implies to me that the setter is saying saving just 1 is not possible, you have to save 2 or more? Betcha Can't Even Save One as a title would give the impression that you should target 1 only. Finally

Changing of the Guards - Errmmmm.... I don't even know where to start with this one. When I see the solution I'm either going to think I missed something really easy or that its an ingenious level. Maybe both. Not asking for hints yet, I don't even think I've scratched the surface with this!

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
The Last Laugh - Nice stall level. To solve this I learned that

Elixir - Deciding which way to loop the climber was what made me take the most time.

Lixster Quadrille - Nice level requiring economy of skills.

One-Lix Showdown - Felt a little on the easier side, the terrain governed where to use the skills to an extent. One of the first levels I solved in this difficulty.

Down Among the Dead Lix - A good number of potential red herrings here.
. Some precise placement required,
which at this difficulty seems fair.

Laser Deathroom - Really liked the design and solution of this one.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
Vicious  levels 1-6 - First 5 all felt like a jump down in difficulty from most of Daunting. , but that said the first few of each difficulty so far have felt easier than the end of the previous one.

This is deliberate, and imitates one of the features I found admirable about the original Lemmings.

Betcha Can't Save Just One - A few things about this level have me curious. Firstly, is it possible to complete this in any of the 4 sanctuaries? Secondly, the title. It implies to me that the setter is saying saving just 1 is not possible, you have to save 2 or more? Betcha Can't Even Save One as a title would give the impression that you should target 1 only. Finally

The title is a pun on an advertising slogan, "Betcha can't eat just one!" and you don't need to read more into it than that :P
About possible solutions... (click to show/hide)

Offline Wibble

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 07:24:12 PM »
BCSJO - I think based on your spoiler that my method is the conventional intended solution then.