Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 48659 times)

tseug

Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 05:55:58 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/15#25 date=1135410148
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/15#19 date=1135371594
Here it is in a zip file (link)
Thanks, but did this work on your machine?

On my machine your decompressed EXE has the same problem as the one I decompressed myself.  The game never gets to the main menu, instead asking to insert the original disk.
I remember having to do that the first time I ran it. It was compressed then so that probably isn't what's wrong. I'll see if I can figure out what that changes.

EDIT: I checked what happens now. It seems that clicking will bypass that screen.

EDIT2: It looks like it only works if you left click and don't do anything else. If you do something else then left clicking doesn't work.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/30#30 date=1135490158
I remember having to do that the first time I ran it. It was compressed then so that probably isn't what's wrong. I'll see if I can figure out what that changes.

EDIT: I checked what happens now. It seems that clicking will bypass that screen.

EDIT2: It looks like it only works if you left click and don't do anything else. If you do something else then left clicking doesn't work.
My compressed version of ONML (from abandonia) never have that screen at all, ever.

I tried left clicking on that screen with your decompressed EXE, and later with mine. &#A0;In both cases, it didn't help, although wackily enough, the message changed from "Insert Original Lemmings Disk 1..." to "Insert Oh No More Lemmings Disk..." upon clicking. &#A0;Then the program becomes unresponsive, even though there's no "Illegal opcode" complain from DOSBox.

One thing I guess I should note is that my computer doesn't have a floppy drive (it's a laptop from around 2003 or 2004). &#A0;I wonder.

I suppose I can try to figure out how to hack the EXE to bypass that screen.

Leviathan

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2005, 08:45:26 AM »
I'll upload my version of ONML soon it it would help...

I had lemmings and ONML from when I was little and ONML works without CD but the original lemmings asks for disk 1 so I downloaded it elsewhere.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/30#31 date=1135499887
I suppose I can try to figure out how to hack the EXE to bypass that screen.
Good news!  Turns out hacking out that stupid screen is not as difficult as I thought, so I now have a working, decompressed version of ONML. [smiley=party.gif]

I still need to find where it stores the level loading info etc., so since it's getting late for me here and it's the holidays, give me a day or two and I'll get things done.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2005, 02:17:55 AM »
Ok, here they are:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/remake.zip

I've renamed them as lemnew.exe and onmlnew.exe.  I changed the level loading so it loads 10 levels from each set, starting from set 000 going up.  I changed the max safe-fall distance to match CustLemm's.

I also changed them to look for different filenames.  For Lemmings, instead of "levelXXX.dat", I made lemnew.exe look for "llvelXXX.dat", and similar for ONML I made it look for "olvelXXX.dat" instead of "dlvelXXX.dat".

By doing this, it simplies installation.  For example, when we finished with the Lemmings remake, we just need to make sure to name the sets llvelXXX.dat.  Then the player can drop lemnew.exe and the llvelXXX.dat files into the same folder as the original Lemmings, without overwriting any files there while being able to use the files that are not changed.  Similarly, for ONML, you can just drop onmlnew.exe and olvelXXX.dat files into the same folder where you have the original ONML.

I was thinking that for the Lemmings remake, we should create/nominate a special graphics (vgaspecX) level for each of the 4 ratings, like the original.  Opinion?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2005, 05:17:52 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/30#34 date=1135649875
I changed the max safe-fall distance to match CustLemm's.

Custlemm2?  If not then this program would be bad for my levels, but oh well.

Jazzem

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
I was thinking that for the Lemmings remake, we should create/nominate a special graphics (vgaspecX) level for each of the 4 ratings, like the original.  Opinion?

That's an interesting thought, perhaps we could have nomintations for some of our favourite games to be vgaspec levels? I'm sure I'd jump at the chance to do Super Mario Bros Lemmings :P

Leviathan

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2005, 02:03:30 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem link=1135291547/30#36 date=1135690926
I was thinking that for the Lemmings remake, we should create/nominate a special graphics (vgaspecX) level for each of the 4 ratings, like the original. &#A0;Opinion?

That's an interesting thought, perhaps we could have nomintations for some of our favourite games to be vgaspec levels? I'm sure I'd jump at the chance to do Super Mario Bros Lemmings :P

Sounds like a very cool idea :)
I don't have much fantasy for creating vgaspec levels but I'm sure a few people here have a few very good ideas :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2005, 02:57:26 PM »
I think you'll have a hard work doing that; I don't know Super Mario too much, but I remember it as a very colorful game. The limited number of colors might become a difficult problem there. However I'd be interested in the result.
For my next set I'm making a level with Supaplex graphic. The limited color palette gives me some problems: I can only use 4 or 5 of originally about 40 sprites. It uses glitches, but I could also make one level for the remake without.
(Obviously I like the idea of special graphics levels.)

Jazzem

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2005, 03:18:50 PM »
Quote from: geoo89 link=1135291547/30#38 date=1135695446
I think you'll have a hard work doing that; I don't know Super Mario too much, but I remember it as a very colorful game. The limited number of colors might become a difficult problem there. However I'd be interested in the result.
For my next set I'm making a level with Supaplex graphic. The limited color palette gives me some problems: I can only use 4 or 5 of originally about 40 sprites. It uses glitches, but I could also make one level for the remake without.
(Obviously I like the idea of special graphics levels.)

Fairly colourful I guess, I'm sure I could fit in some question mark blocks and a goomba or two, and I could blend two similar colours into the same.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2005, 07:55:14 PM »

I've already created a few levels based on other games -- Repton, Prince of Persia, FF7, Minesweeper. And I'm planning on doing a Worms one when I find time, too. Those are all for Cheapo, though.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/30#34 date=1135649875
Ok, here they are:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/remake.zip

I've renamed them as lemnew.exe and onmlnew.exe.  I changed the level loading so it loads 10 levels from each set, starting from set 000 going up.  I changed the max safe-fall distance to match CustLemm's.

I also changed them to look for different filenames.  For Lemmings, instead of "levelXXX.dat", I made lemnew.exe look for "llvelXXX.dat", and similar for ONML I made it look for "olvelXXX.dat" instead of "dlvelXXX.dat".

By doing this, it simplies installation.  For example, when we finished with the Lemmings remake, we just need to make sure to name the sets llvelXXX.dat.  Then the player can drop lemnew.exe and the llvelXXX.dat files into the same folder as the original Lemmings, without overwriting any files there while being able to use the files that are not changed.  Similarly, for ONML, you can just drop onmlnew.exe and olvelXXX.dat files into the same folder where you have the original ONML.
It appears that you changed a bit more than that... anyone else notice the difference?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2005, 01:50:16 AM »
"rating lame"

Lol

Well, I've made two special graphics levels so far.  One is difficult.  The other one is not.  Neither are based on any games, but I suppose I could make a level based on a game.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2005, 03:10:32 AM »
Ha, I made a Mario set for Cheapo. Maybe converting one of my Mario Cheapo levels into a VGASPEC format would be a neat idea.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2005, 04:18:51 AM »
Quote from: Mindless link=1135291547/30#41 date=1135714546
It appears that you changed a bit more than that... anyone else notice the difference?
;) I see you noticed.  I tried to come up with new names for other ratings but that was the only thing that came into mind, as everyone knows what "Tame" really means in ONML. ;)

When the time comes when people actually decided on new rating names, just let me know and I'll do further hacks (although this one might be more tricky......).  The EXE hacking is therefore not final by any means.

As for the issue of coloring for vgaspecX levels, don't worry too much about it for now.  There are programs out there that can do a reasonable job of downconverting colors, and I am hoping to incorporate such a feature into myvgaspec at some point.  For now, just come up with bitmaps that are not too overly colorful or uses extensive shadings or gradients, and I promise to do whatever it takes to make them work out.