Author Topic: Lemmings re-make  (Read 48647 times)

Jazzem

Re: Lemmings re-make
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 08:22:19 PM »
I agree with Ahribar, glitch levels should be out. We may want to advertise this outside the forums, and chances are people who aren't familiar with Lemedit aren't familiar with glitches. Besides, we can be more original, can't we?

I think we should do the showcase levels (Just dig, Tailor made for blockers etc), but perhaps put them into a small number of levels (We could climbers, floaters and diggers into one level, for example).

tseug(Guest)

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 08:23:21 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest) link=1135291547/0#8 date=1135330988
Obviously the same can be done for ONML, but unfortunately, right now I can't hack the ONML EXE.  The problem is that after I decompress the EXE with unpklite (needs to decompress the program before I have any hopes of hacking it), it no longer works correctly, refusing to load any levels.  Until someone can produce a functional, decompressed version of ONML, no hacks on it.
I have no idea why, but for some reason I unpacked my version and deleted the original. :o So here you go (link) (I know, I should start zipping my files instead renaming them...)

Jazzem

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 08:34:07 PM »
Say, I've just thought of some names!

"Yippee! More Lemmings!" for the Lemmings one.

"Let's go! More Lemmings" for the ONML one!

Leviathan

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »
Ok,I agree,if we want this to go outside the forum no glitches should be involved :)

BTW,nice new titles...you have any idea on the difficulty settings?

tseug

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
Here it is in a zip file (link)

Jazzem

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 09:12:39 PM »
Quote from: Leviathan link=1135291547/15#18 date=1135371550
Ok,I agree,if we want this to go outside the forum no glitches should be involved :)

BTW,nice new titles...you have any idea on the difficulty settings?

We may as well just keep them the same, I feel we need those titles simply so people will know of the project as something seperate to the real Lemmings. I hope we can hack it somehow to change the title blurb too.

Shall we offically start work on this after Christmas then? We should organise who's doing what too, I imagine I'll do a few Fun levels and possibly tricky/taxing ones.

Leviathan

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 09:39:22 PM »
One other thing is that every "difficult" level should be backroute-checked by a few people altough we can use many levels that were reviewed in the review topic :)

Another possibility than the first "nomination procedure" I suggested is that each pack designer promotes 4 of his/her levels (2 lemmings,2 ONML) providing a screenshot and motivation,then to be reviewed by a few people and modified for this version if necessairy.

Jazzem

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 10:19:35 PM »
Shall we leave the ONML one for the moment? This will take a while, and I think we should wait for the response the Lemmings remake gets before doing the ONML one.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 04:27:22 AM »
I agree with Jazzem. Let's just worry about Lemmings for now, and only do ONML when Lemmings is complete (there's no guarantee that it will get completed, and taking on too much makes it even harder to finish something).

Another question: Are we using Lemmings graphics sets for Lemmings and ONML sets for ONML? Or all mixed up like CustLemm?

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 05:25:00 AM »
I'd assume the Original Lemmings sets alone would be use for the Lemmings remake, and the ONML sets for the ONML re-make. I think.

Anyways, another thing I'd like to address is graphics set distribution. Remember how original Lemmings had somewhat of a lack of crystal style levels? I would assume the set we make would want to be slightly more balanced, set-wise.

Which yields another problem. As an example, if I were to contribute levels, ALL of them would be straight piece sets (In other words, no dirt levels) -- I imagine this would be more a problem with ONML, where I'd be submitting little else but brick style levels. Maybe each author could specialize in certain style-types, and pool together to make levels with the more underrepresented types?

Just an idea. And I'm all for not including glitch levels in the set, for the reasons stated above.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2005, 07:42:28 AM »
Quote from: tseug link=1135291547/15#19 date=1135371594
Here it is in a zip file (link)
Thanks, but did this work on your machine?

On my machine your decompressed EXE has the same problem as the one I decompressed myself.  The game never gets to the main menu, instead asking to insert the original disk.

Leviathan

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005, 12:08:50 PM »
I also think the sets should be distributed evenly altough I more like symmetrical levels with straight pieces than other levels...

If I'm not mistaken there are 5 sets for Lemmings:
-Dirt
-Hell
-Pink
-Crystal
-Roman

So I guess for the lemmings version,we need 24 levels of each type of set (or 32 if it's possible to make 160 levels due to the duplicates removal)

I think I can provide at least one very tough dirt level (I'm working on it) and a very tough crystal level (title: "Yeah right,you wish")
I believe this version of lemmings should include the remakes of FANL and FANL2 too :)
We may also want to include a few extended graphic set levels...

JM

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »
You can use my levels in this Lemmings re-make aswell  ;)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2005, 04:29:08 PM »
I'm a little confused. Are we using levels that we already created? Or are we creating brand new levels for this? It seems like a combination, but which way are people leaning?

Conway

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 08:19:55 PM »
I think we'd be more inclined to play it if most of the levels were new, and I don't know how we're going to get it out to the rest of the world.

I'd love to contribute, but I haven't had much time or even much creativity for designing levels in a while. I fear my LemEditing days may be over.  :'(

This remake sounds like a good idea. We should probably assign four people, one for each difficulty rating, to decide the order the levels will appear in. Because we are dealing with so many levels, the difficulty curve will be much slower than it generally is in a pack of ten levels. So four people should probably sort through every submitted level for each rating to decide which position it should go in.