Author Topic: graphics of lemmings 2  (Read 3599 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
graphics of lemmings 2
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:37:33 PM »
Hello,
I have some information about how to extract graphics data from lemmings 3 2, the one with the space lemmings etc.
But that is a LOT of work
Does anyone have data that is already extracted? Tiles, Objects, Lemmings.
Regards Eric
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:23:49 AM by Simon »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: graphics of lemmings 3
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:31:42 AM »
Welcome back!  Curious to see how your random level generator thing goes (as you mentioned in another topic).  Do you know that, for better or worse, there are now commercially published Lemmings games whose levels are actually procedurally generated?

Back on topic here, can you clarify whether you mean "All New World of Lemmings" (aka Lemmings Chronicles), or 3D Lemmings?  The former only has Classic, Shadow and Egyptian tribes, there's no "space lemmings" or really anything space-themed.  I haven't played 3D Lemmings myself, but I vaguely recall mentions of space stuff by others.

Or do you mean Lemmings 2: The Tribes, which does have a space tribe as one of the 12 tribes?

I believe all 3 games mentioned above now all have a functioning level editor written, which implies someone worked out how to extract the graphics, but I'm not sure how documented the details are, whether any tools actually exist to do the extraction (versus the level editor doing it internally for its own purpose), or whether the people who wrote the editors (or perhaps just the source code) are still around.  3D Lemmings at least is a recent enough development by namida that if you want its graphics, he can definitely help.  I also seem to recall hearing people having made NeoLemmix styles out of (some of?) the graphics for all 3 games mentioned above.  Maybe you can just directly borrow the graphics from those styles?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:44 AM »
L3 level editor by kieranmillar, continued from Mindless

Class Style in src/style.* loads terrain and gadgets from files. Style::load() first sorts the binary data from files into object and block, then draws them. I haven't understood the drawing from first glance.

NL has L3 styles, right. They might be only 99 % accurate. Reason: I remember how I manually painted correct shading on some of NL's L3 tiles that were merely horizontal flips of other tiles.

Maybe 99 % accuracy is good enough. What are you trying to do?

Lemming sprites, I don't believe anybody has extracted those. Spriters Resource has nothing on Lemmings 3.

-- Simon

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
Thank you. I am indeed looking  for the 12 lemming tribes graphics, which have some interesting tiles.
Are they somewhere available in Lix?
As for my level generator. It produces quite insane levels. Very beautiful sometimes. It is working with a 16 bytes (file)hash which converts to a 64 bits integer random seed.
Then it uses a random generator to produce levels. All tiles and objects have all possible valid candidate locations mapped (which is work in progress). Then it makes a .png file.
Apart from generating tiles and objects it also is a level "in progress": lemmings are walking around, stairs are visible etc. This last part is only for viewing pleasure, because I do not use mechanics, just some rough estimations.
I did not know about the procedurely generated levels.
If I had a way to show some pictures I would do that. My ericlangedijk.nl does not exist anymore.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
If I had a way to show some pictures I would do that. My ericlangedijk.nl does not exist anymore.

You could attach them to your forum post directly. Attachments don't appear in the Quick Reply at the bottom of the topic; but if you go to the full Reply page (either by clicking "Reply", or by hitting the "Preview" button after typing a message in Quick Reply) you can attach files there. The limit for each post is 6 files, and the total combined filesize for one post can't exceed 32MB.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: graphics of lemmings 2
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:56:24 PM »
I remember NaOH at some point made a level generator for multiplayer levels in Lix, if I recall the levels it produced were all 16x16 block based.

Thank you. I am indeed looking  for the 12 lemming tribes graphics, which have some interesting tiles.

See attached.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:24:01 AM by Simon »

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »
work in progress...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
work still in progress. going to add game mechanics now