Author Topic: Lemmings Revolution concept demo  (Read 2728 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Revolution concept demo
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
This was posted on the Lemmings Forums Discord by a user named Hallfiry (not a forum member).

I'm not sure if this is well know, but Lemmings Revolution had a very early demo in 1999. traces can be found on groups.google.com, but I couldn't find a working download link. so here is an upload:
** file was attached here on Discord**

posted it at tcrf discord already. I did indeed find it by accident looking for the game "Revolution" (a 2002 shooter or something), when looking through my CD catalog. a single disc had this demo, namely one of italian PC Gamer (issue 46 CD2) that I got from archive.org
(but it being available there doesn't mean anyone has noticed it in recent times)

Disclaimer: I have not in any way examined the attached ZIP file; just reposted it here directly from the Discord. Download / open at your own risk. Other posters have indicated they believe it's safe.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:49:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Revolution concept demo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:38 PM »
fascinating find!

I tried it. (It is safe) and some interesting things to note: (I attached a screenshot)

- all the familiar post-Windows 98 bugs are present (even including 'teleporting' lemmings when the screen moves).
- It contains only 2 levels; an early version of 'Take Her Up to Warp Speed Captain' that can be played or you can watch a self playing tutorial. This looks like a simple level that's not present in the final game.
- The game is clearly incomplete. Some sounds are missing/different. The exit is noticeably different/not as polished. Interestingly the teleporters play their sound which in-game is only actually heard in one level (not this level!)
- The balloon's button function as speed up works. Meaning this demo was made before that change, which was late as suspected. The speed up button is instead a question mark which when clicked says "special skill". I have no knowledge as to this unfinished feature.
- The lighting is very poor; it is in the actual game yes, but it's even worse in this version. One side of the level is very dark.
- Most interestingly to me is the fact that the shape of the entire level cylinder is different. It's jagged; not smooth as you can see, and yes; lemmings actually follow this curvy path.
 this answered a long standing question I had;;;; A screenshot very similar to mine here is present on the box art of the game; even though this demo is not included in the final release at all. For those unfamiliar with the game; the actual levels don't look like this ever (including this level that's present in the game); their cylinders are all smooth and straight. I had always wondered where that picture came from and why it was there. So nice! :thumbsup:

-on the very basic menu of the demo it says "if you want to see this demo made into an actual game please visit our website: ... (I forget what it was but it was 'something psygnosis something.uk...")
So.... apparently the game's completion was still in question at the time this demo was released. ???
[we do know that the game's development and release was long and fraught with problems]

-The options menu contains options not present in final game:
-skill names disable or enable (which merely hides the names of skills when selecting them)
-Dead zone cursor: this allows scrolling like in original lemmings. Right clicking gets you access to the skill panel which you can't otherwise with this mode active.
-reverse cursor; not really sure what this does.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:35:15 AM by mobius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Revolution concept demo
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
Interesting!
I wonder why instruction manuals and even box decorations use (early) development screenshots so often. I'd think that replacing the screenshot with an up to date one wouldn't be so difficult, but maybe it was.