Author Topic: How to create a level pack in SuperLemmini?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
How to create a level pack in SuperLemmini?
« on: October 24, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
I know very few people use this any more, but...

Is there anyone who knows how to compile a level pack that can be recognised as such in SuperLemmini? Putting the folders with the levels in "levels" doesn't seem to be enough.

I've had a look at the existing level folders/config files that other people have created and can't fathom exactly what needs to be typed where.

Any help with this is much appreciated :)

-WillLem 8-)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to create a level pack in SuperLemmini?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »
I created a Lemmini pack waaaaay back in the days and the way I did it was to look at a "levelpack.ini" file from an existing pack in the levels folder and write a new one specifically for my pack based on that blueprint.
I had a quick look and SuperLemmini seems to be structured the same. Quite a bit of writing will be nessesary as every level, musictrack etc needs to be mentioned correctly there - use your chosen blueprint as a guide and follow it. Afterwards the levels and your new "levelpack.ini" file need to be in the levelpack's folder inside the levels folder. Music goes into the music folder.

Let's just say it took a few hours to get it right. ;P It's quite a bit of a hassle writing these!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
Hmmmmm.... I edited the levels in .lvl format, so I don't think I can compile them as a .ini SuperLemmini level pack :(

Congratulations! You've found my first hidden level (see attached) 8-) :lemcat:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:23:08 AM by WillLem »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 02:17:51 AM »
For a normal Lemmini/SuperLemmini level pack, the levels do need to be in INI format, not LVL. (Perhaps I can change that...) You also need to have a proper levelpack.ini in the same folder. If you want to see what it should look like, open root.lzp in any zip viewer, open the levels folder, then any subfolder. You should see a levelpack.ini there.

(And yes, I really do need to document this stuff. I hope to do that with the next release.)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
For a normal Lemmini/SuperLemmini level pack, the levels do need to be in INI format, not LVL. (Perhaps I can change that...) You also need to have a proper levelpack.ini in the same folder. If you want to see what it should look like, open root.lzp in any zip viewer, open the levels folder, then any subfolder. You should see a levelpack.ini there.

(And yes, I really do need to document this stuff. I hope to do that with the next release.)

Thanks, Tsyu :) I already did this, and I had a go at making a levelpack.ini file. It crashed SuperLemmini :P

I'm the kinda guy that needs a nice user interface with buttons and menus and stuff. At least, I have been up until now. I'm currently seriously considering learning a developing language so I can go the extra step and understand what's behind all the magic.

Great to hear from you, anyways :thumbsup:

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Can anyone help me with this pack? It's for Lemmini, so I converted the styles to SuperLemmini via GSTool. But... it doesn't work.
The conversion of the Classic.ini file to SuperLemmini PNG & INI throw a styles.ini quite empty:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which I filled this way:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I leave only styles.ini in the styles/Classic folder, SuperLemmini tells me Classic.ini is missing. But if I put the original Classic.ini in that folder, along with styles.ini, it throws me the error I have attached.

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 04:02:47 PM »
Hmm... I'm not sure but I think you used the wrong version of GSTool for SuperLemmini. If I remember correctly, it stopped supporting SuperLemmini after V1.03 but I might be wrong since I haven't touched GSTool in a long time.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
Hmm... I'm not sure but I think you used the wrong version of GSTool for SuperLemmini. If I remember correctly, it stopped supporting SuperLemmini after V1.03 but I might be wrong since I haven't touched GSTool in a long time.

I used the 10.12.12 version for converting it. It seems to recognize (Super)Lemmini styles.

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
Are you sure?

This is a screenshot of the .ini file for the pillar style for SuperLemmini. I'll try to use it as an example and see if it will make your .ini file style work.

EDIT : After modifying the style pack, I discovered that, in fact, you don't need to change everything for it to work because the files of Lemmini and SuperLemmini are almost identical... so the original style and levels should work (with a few bugs). If it doesn't, I kept the modifications I did just in case.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:19:09 PM by LanaAndCo »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »
Ok, after some research + trial and error, it seems that I was doing things wrong. You were right, LanaAndCo: for the Lemmini packs to be playable in SuperLemmini, they MUST be converted via GSTool v1.03. Thank you for your comments.

Here I attach the Lemmings 2 Classic Tribe, ready to be installed and played in SuperLemmini, by courtesy of his original author, PacGuy765.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 12:33:15 AM »
  RE: Willem

Here's a small levelpack.ini for an example of how the levelpack.ini has to look like(I just took a small pack to demonstate. amiga orig. demo)

# based on http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/amigacodes.html
# and http://home.wanadoo.nl/lemmings-solution/index2.html                                                 anything starting with # is just a comment so you can put anything after that.
# and http://www.deinonych.com/lemmings/lemm1fun_walk.shtml                                       

name =  Amiga Lemmings Demo   Here is the name of your pack  (here the pack is called Amiga Lemmings Demo.  Must begin with name =)

codeSeed = AJHLDHBBCJ   This is I think just a seed for Passwords for levels (I just ignore this) but it must be codeSeed = Whatever

# music selection
music_0  = amiga/orig_01cancan_amiga.ogg          ok Here is the music section. all the entries have to say music_0 thru music_# (#=your final entry number) = music file. 
music_1  = amiga/orig_08doggie_amiga.ogg                                               must be in succession and start with 0.
music_2  = amiga/orig_16tenlemms_amiga.ogg                                                                           
music_3  = amiga/orig_17mountain_amiga.ogg

here for example my .ogg files I placed In a folder called amiga within the music folder. but you can also just put them straight into
      the music folder without adding an additional folder (ie music_3 = orig_17mountain_amiga.ogg) but I use additional folders for each packs
                                                                            music otherwise your music folder would get bigger for each pack. Note: also when using folders it must have the /(forward slash)

# ratings (since this starts with #, it's a comment. You could also just say # ranks)
level_0 = 1 Player                                      ok here is the ranks for the pack. must say level_# = name of rank. must start with level_0, up to level_#(#=final rank number). All #'s must be in
level_1 = 2 Player                                      succession.

# Levels: name, music ID   (here is helpful info for the levels (note it just starts with a #(comment))

# Rating 0 - 1 Player           (ok here is another comment just to tell you it's a Rating or could just be Rank)

# 1 Player 1 - This should be a doddle!   (ok here are your actual levels now. Here It starts with # again so it's a comment. but helps you to Id each level. Some packs don't do this.)
level_0_0 = lvl0000.ini,0                        ok here are your levels for rank 0 (must start with level_x_y =); x being rank # which must begin with 0, y being level # also must begin with 0
1 Player 2 - One way digging to freedom                             ie(rank 0, level 0) thru (rank 0 , level #=final level number for this rank). also levelnames must be in your levels folder
level_0_1 = lvl0003.ini,1                                                   along with your levelpack.ini. also try to avoid special characters in your level names, as this is picky. (only a few are allowed).
# 1 Player 3 - Watch out, there's traps about                      ok the number after level name is the music id number. It is the one you want to use for that level which is above in your music =
                                                                                       music file name. so for example This level Watch out, there's traps about uses number 2 which above is
                                                                                       amiga/orig_16tenlemms_amiga.ogg. also each level name must have .ini
level_0_2 = lvl0302.ini,2
# 1 Player 4 - Bomboozal
level_0_3 = lvl0043.ini,3
# 1 Player 5 - If at first you don't succeed..
level_0_4 = lvl0301.ini,0

# Rating 1 - 2 player                                      ok here is your rating 1 could also just be Rank 1
                                                                    now just repeat for each successive rank  ie: so now it says level_1_0 thru level_1_# (#=final level number for rank 1)
# 2 Player 1 - There can be only one               
level_1_0 = lvl0100.ini,1
# 2 Player 2 - Battle at Midway (from demo)                                                     Now that's it for your levelpack.ini (not too difficult)
level_1_1 = demomulti2.ini,2

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:46:14 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 03:58:50 AM »
Thanks so much for posting this Eric! I'll have a go at compiling a small pack soonish using your guide. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 05:50:18 AM »
I'm looking forward to any packs you can compile for Superlemmini as it's still my favorite port that uses the original 8 skills as the graphics are much better than neolemmix.
Also most the time when I compile packs, often I have typos so often they don't work the first time. Also make sure when compiling the levels in the levelpack.ini
the word level_x_y has to be in lower case, if you have any in upper case (ie: Level_x,y), any levels from that one on will be ignored. And when you do get a pack compiled if there are anything
you don't understand you can ask, or sometimes it's just typos in the levelpack.ini so sometimes that will cause Superlemmini to crash. Every little detail has to be spelled correct. It's basically
programming. Everything must be exact. I know in other posts you said you were frustrated because it seemed like it always crashed. But as long as you follow the guide and have no typos, it will work. So if it crashes or your pack isn't showing up in the menu, then it's because either it's a typo or the level in the levelpack.ini isn't matching the level.ini in your levels folder.

This happens to me often, I have to go back and make sure everything is exact. This often can be frustrating, but don't give up. 99% of the time its because of non-matching levels to ones listed
in the levelpack.ini or simply because of typos. also avoid using special characters in levelnames as this too can make it not work.

Also I did Ichlotot's Lemmings reunion conversion from Regular Lemmini to Superlemmini. This one was a major endevor. So by doing this conversion, I had to do alot of work with the levelpack.ini
also I made 2 levelpack.ini with 2 choices of music. The regular lemmini music that came with Lemmini and the music Icho uses for his neolemmix one. So I now have alot of experience working
with Superlemmini. Just doing this 1 pack conversion took over 2 months, I had to edit most levels too using 1.43 as there were issues with traps and exits trigger points not at right spot so lemmings could exit. also I used his neolemmix reunion pack to fix the Lemmini version for many backroutes (ie: adding OWW's or Steel). But what took the longest is solving the levels.
But luckly, I had 3 resources for replaying the levels. 1-neolemmix's replays which I have for his neolemmix pack. 2 His Youtube channel replays and 3. Icho PM'd me his regular lemmini replays
for reunion. So all 3 were greatly helpful in me solving the pack to make sure they played with no issues.

NOTE: Working with Superlemmini is more my specialty than neolemmix. It seems I'm not very good at fixing levels in neolemmix, according to 1 person. although I would say it's not easy fixing backroutes, as even when you think you fixed it, someone else it seems will find a backroute. But I would say one must get into level designing first before anyone should say anything.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:42:11 AM by ericderkovits »