Author Topic: Mobile Lemmings game  (Read 3259 times)

Offline StevenRice

• View Profile
Mobile Lemmings game
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
Can I ask questions about the Mobile Lemmings game here? Is SADPUPPY involved here?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Mobile Lemmings game
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
SadPuppy is not really involved here, except for a brief drop-by around their initial launch to basically advertise their game launch here.  The focus here has overwhelmingly been on the older "original" Lemmings games from the 80s-90s, plus a few completely free homebrew versions of the game like NeoLemmix, Lix, SuperLemmini etc., and all the custom levels and related content people have created for all these different games.

You can ask whatever questions you feel like, but keeping in mind what I said, we might not be able to answer your specific questions targeted at SadPuppy.  As their game is sold on the various mobile platforms, you should hopefully be able to easily reach the developers through the review system in the respective app stores of the platform.  They likely also include e-mail contact information somewhere on the app's listing page in the app store.

You can try searching the forums with keyword "Sad Puppy" or similar to try locating the few posts and threads made here about that game.  One of the people who posted is obviously a developer of the game, you could then try PMing or emailing that forum member and see if he/she is still around to respond (not optimistic though, I'm pretty sure he/she dropped out right after making the one advertisement post).

Offline StevenRice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I've emailed SADPUPPY a few times and I never heard back from them. That's why I'm here. I've been enjoying the Lemmings games since the original.  So, I might be discussing them more. My only question is about the Mobile Lemmings game (Android).  They announced that a new world is being launched. But I played the game so much, I suspected that the levels were probably procedurally generated. Because it seems like it will never end. So, I am wondering what the new world is about?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. I've emailed SADPUPPY a few times and I never heard back from them. That's why I'm here. I've been enjoying the Lemmings games since the original.  So, I might be discussing them more. My only question is about the Mobile Lemmings game (Android).  They announced that a new world is being launched. But I played the game so much, I suspected that the levels were probably procedurally generated. Because it seems like it will never end. So, I am wondering what the new world is about?

It would be quite tricky to procedurally generate levels for a game like Lemmings. But with a dedicated creator, it's not hard to rapidly create levels. I know I quote this figure a lot - but my pack Lemmings Plus II, I created the graphic sets, the graphic set editing tools, and the 100 levels, all in the space of three weeks. And that was a hobbyist thing. If that's doable, I suspect a team of people - or even just a single person - who's actually being paid to create levels, would have no trouble creating a handful of new levels for each season of the game.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline StevenRice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
I admit that it sounds tricky to have levels procedurally generated. But, I have completed so many levels, and I saw no names or numbers for each level. I thought that they did not name levels, so you couldn't look up the answer to each level. It really seems like it will never end.  I mean, really, I've saved over 26,000 Lemmings in the Mobile game and I just keep going. Does ANYONE know if it will ever end?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
No idea - it'll probably end when either it no longer makes financial sense to keep releasing new content, or when all their team's effort is needed for a new project.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:01 AM »
I haven't played or even really looked at that game, but I wouldn't necessarily discount procedurally-created levels.  I can see a hybrid approach where the terrain layout could initially be procedurally generated, then a human comes in and makes further terrain tweaks, work out where to put the entrances, exits and other objects, come up with a reasonably skillset, etc., to actually turn it into a decent level.   This works especially for more open-ended levels where you don't need or want to enforce any specific solution in mind.  We know some level creators basically build some levels kinda like that--start with just making something visually interesting with the terrain, and then only afterwards try to build a solution around it.

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
I played this game briefly out of curiosity a while ago, the levels are definitely 100% procedurally generated, there is no doubt in my mind.

New world probably means new graphically style and possibly a new trap/mechanic.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
A couple of days ago I tried out this game for the first time and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I'd be. I'm skipping all the pay for this and that stuff though.

I really like the fact that the opening screen celebrates the 30th birthday of Lemmings. :)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft