Author Topic: Lemmings Hall of Fame [65/120 levels completed] (DEMO available now!)  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Hall of Fame
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
Yet. More. Stuff! :)

Welcome to the jungle

The Lem-catcher's song

Believe it or not, this level might actually be more difficult to figure out if that flame-thrower trap wasn't there... :P It forces you to do something that you wouldn't necessarily do at this spot otherwise. But since this level is supposed to go in the first rank, I thought this might be an adequate way to make it a little easier.

Counting stars

Those one-way fields on the right are certainly one way to simulate a Slider... :D This only works with a Floater though, which consequently requires a protruding piece of terrain at the bottom. Gliders get trapped between the wall and the one-way field and can't actually move anywhere, not even down. ???

Ziggy Stardust

Can you feel the Lems tonight?

Bad moon rising

Atemlos durch die Nacht
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:22:48 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:32:17 PM »
...and yet still some more! ;) I tried several times tonight to create an easy Polar level. It never worked. :evil: I always ended up getting stupid ideas for obscure solutions halfway through...

Inside the winter storm

Footsteps in the snow

Black winter day

On to some Highland levels! ;)

Highland Lemmy

Road to the isles

My spirit flies

Inside the pyramid of light

And finally, this Space level features a black hole! :D Beware the inevitable pull of gravity...

Blackened sun
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
Some more ideas. I noticed the Beach levels actually have a dark blue background in the original game. So I'm using the one from the L3 Egyptian tileset here. In contrast to L2 Shadow, where the background automatically adopts the correct colour, the same doesn't happen when selecting L2 Beach as a level's main theme.

Fly on the wings of Lem

Lembada

The gang's all here

Maniac

Sandstorm

The monster is loose

Another thing typical of L2, specifically of the Circus tileset, are levels that limit themselves to just 1 or 2 of the available colours. Hence, I've moved this song title, which was originally intended for the Shadow tribe (see page 1 of this thread), to the Circus tribe.

Blue Monday
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »
Okay, I know I promised a first test version a while ago. Here's what I'm going to do:

The first rank, Bronze, is finished. The second rank is currently at 12 levels, the third and fourth at 10 each.

I will add 8 more levels to the second rank, so that it's 30 + 20 + 10 + 10. That's 70 of 120 levels in total. Those are going to form the first test version. :D

I don't want to progress too far on this pack too early, because with the final NeoLemmix skill having been narrowed down to either the Slider, the Laser Blaster, or two projectile skills, meaning (Spear) Thrower and Mortar / Bazooker, we already know the final skill is going to be another L2 skill (or at least one heavily inspired by L2 and most likely named after its L2 counterpart).

Thus, the final skill should definitely appear in this L2-style pack.

I certainly want to give those of you who are interested something to play already, and any feedback prior to release to the already existing levels is extremely valuable. So I hope this pack might get similar pre-release attention as Lemmings Open Air once I upload the test version. ;)

But the final release I will delay accordingly, depending on how long it will take until we have decided upon and namida has implemented the final skill.
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Hall of Fame [65/120 levels completed] (DEMO available now!)
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »
I have uploaded the first demo version! :) This includes all levels developed so far, which is 65 out of the total 120 at the moment.

I didn't go up to the 70 announced in my previous post, because I didn't have any new ideas for this particular pack recently, and I didn't want to force any. Especially not if I'm basically just waiting for confirmation of the four final skills, so that we can finally get to start designing actual levels with them! ;) So I'm happy to keep five more level slots open to feature Laserers, Sliders, Spearers, and Grenaders later down the road.

The only problem with this is that the first rank is already completed, as it stands now - and not having the final skills show up at all for the first thirty levels is something I'd like to avoid in the official release. With just two new skills (Shimmier and Jumper), I was fine having this split between the first and the second half of Lemmings Open Air. But I don't want to casually introduce four new skills on the second rank.

So if you decide to take an early peak at the levels in the demo, feel free to tell me which ones on the first rank were the most difficult ones for you! ;) Then I may consider moving them up in difficulty to make place for some Laserer/Slider/Spearer/Grenader introduction levels once they're available.

A couple of levels I had to fix since their initial creation:

- two levels featuring updrafts were affected by the Glider physics change
("Ruins of Athens" and "Blackened sun"). Lemmings Open Air and Lemmings World Tour were both already adapted to this change a while ago, so that tells you how long I've been working on Lemmings Hall of Fame! ;)

- yesterday night, I found out I had to fix all Shadow levels that contained one-way arrows (with the exception of "In the air tonight", where it had already been done, though I don't remember doing it myself). Because apparently, at some point during this year the one-way arrows from the L2 Shadow tileset were deleted and the reference had to be pointed to the default ones instead (which are recoloured to match the old ones, although they have a slightly different texture). I assume this was when the "thicker" arrows with the outlines were introduced?

The problem about the latter fix was that once again, it could not be done in the editor, because the missing object instance would cause the editor to crash in such a way that it could only be closed again via the Task Manager. So I had to go into the level text files and manually rename every single instance of one-way arrows in all of the Shadow levels.

It would be nice if there would be a "warning" mechanism for this. Were the old Shadow arrows marked as deprecated pieces at some point, and I simply didn't notice?
I assume cleanse levels might have worked, because the player had no problem playing those levels even while they were still pointing to the no-longer-existent L2 one-way arrows. I assume the player just falls back to default one-way arrows in case of a missing object of that type?

Anyway, as far as I'm aware, this only affected the Shadow levels. Some of the other L2 tilesets actually do still have their own dedicated one-way arrows, because they looked sufficiently different for the style maintainers to keep them as separate objects.

Since the player didn't give me any error messages on this, even while the levels were still "broken" from the editor's point of view, I don't think it will come up while playing.
But if you experience any error messages of missing object instances on levels from any of the other tribes, please report them to me! ;)
My packs so far: