NeoLemmix > NeoLemmix Levels

[NFNL] Insane Steve's World

<< < (2/4) > >>

Proxima:
As I'm not happy with my solution to Twin Paradox (part 1), I had another look to see if there was a "cleaner" solution. I haven't found one yet, but I found an alternative solution that works and is even more fiddly -- instead of stretching bridges to the max, you now have to stretch them exactly the right amount but not too much (or you won't get high enough).

If there is an intended solution that's less fiddly, these solutions should be eliminated -- though hopefully without making them fail by only one pixel, which is, if anything, even worse.

EDIT: Found clean solutions to both parts. :thumbsup: These solutions still work if the exit platform is moved further away from the vertical wall, which would prevent my fiddly solutions.

Akseli:
Insane Steve's levels were some of the first ones I ever played from Lemmings Level Database in summer 2012, so early that I didn't even realize to save replays for them at first. In addition to Lemmix levels, I had played the notebook sets from Cheapo, and Lix Community Level Set, so most of the levels I remembered well. My replays for all the 150 levels are attached.

Here's Insane Steve's packs from Lemmings level database. Levels from ISteve01-10 Lemmix packs that are not on the NeoLemmix pack:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)1-4: Turning around demo #172
1-5: BLEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGH!!! (cheap)
1-9: Having fun yet? Good.
1-10: Why can't they just run? (glitches)
2-6: Is So Easy! (steel glitches)
2-7: Rip your hair out Mr. Lemming ("The Obstacle" replaces this)
2-8: Multi-Task Lemmings
2-10: The Magician's Secret (glitches)
3-3: The Plight of Icarus (similar to "Vertically Challenged Lemmings")
3-6: The Unprofessional Looking Level (steel glitches)
3-10: 4 Pixels (or so) from Victory (glitches)
4-4: The Joke's on You! (steelified terrain)
4-7: Go Yaffa!
5-2: The decending pillar scenario
5-3: ... Now what?
5-5: The Lemming Mental Institution
5-10: Let's see what you've learned (glitches)
6-2: Hanukkah Lemmings
6-4: A BeastIII of a level
7-2: _-=~Up In The Stars~=-_
7-6: Surrealism
7-7: Annoyance (Part 2)
7-10: If only they could swim
8-3: 3/4
8-6: A Tribute to Masonry (Part 2)
8-10: I Traded Them for Climbers (glitches)
9-4: Undermined

Lix Community Level Pack levels that are not on the NeoLemmix pack:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Impetus (cubers)
Snowball Battle (with Proxima, jumper)
Snowjump (cubers)
Infrastructure Budget Cut ("The Springboard Level" replaces this)
Don't Look Back (jumper, runner)
Well OK Then (jumpers, cubers)
Railroad Plot (jumper, cuber)
Derailed Level (cuber)
This is Too Much Stepping Stones ("Irregularly Placed Pole Level" replaces this, I guess)
To Destroy is to Construct (jumper, runner)
Endeavor (jumper, gas object), same title has a different level in NeoLemmix pack
Lixster Quadrille (with Proxima, a repeat, jumpers)
Trapeze of the Weird Blue Blocks (jumpers, runner)
Merde, Merde, Merde! (jumpers, runners)
Wait Why is There a Tree ("The duct rise lemmings." replaces this)
Dream the Impossible Dream (with Proxima, a repeat, jumpers)
Chasm (runners, jumpers, cubers)
No More Heroes (jumper, runner)
Path of Wickedness (with Proxima, a repeat, jumpers, runners, cubers)
Love is Over (jumpers, runner, cubers)

Somehow level previews didn't work when I ran my Cheapo, and it takes loads of times to load a level there, so I didn't look at all 90 or so
Steve's notebook levels there which were included in NeoLemmix pack and which were not.

Comments:

Peaceful 1: Any Way You Want It - Basher solution doesn't work (they fall to death unlike in Lix version), see also repeat level (Just Stop the Bleeding).
Peaceful 2: Jus' A Warm Up - I was missing the good cheapo track here, no idea still what's that awesome tune, I even remember asking it from Steve himself and he didn't remember it either if I recall correctly.
Peaceful 4: The Binary Level - Same as Proxima, I haven't seen this level before, where does it and its repeat come from? Actually, where do the levels come if they aren't from ISteve01-10, Lix, Cheapo notebook sets, or forum contests?
Peaceful 10: Snow Really - Just realized, why wasn't the original Snow tileset used in Snow levels in this pack?
Peaceful 23: The Obstacle - This apparently replaces ISteve02-7: "Rip your hair out Mr. Lemming"
Difficult 8: Preventative Maintenance - Like Proxima mentioned already, the trigger area of the fire trap in the right edge of the starting area is so high that lemmings won't die there, I'd think this is not intended?
Difficult 26: Need a Boost? - Yeah this was pretty hard!
Difficult 29: Time is of the Essance - The title should be EssEnce, not EssAnce.
Menacing 1: They just won't climb that wall. - The Lemmix title is "They Just Won't Climb the Wall", is this a cheapo title?
Menacing 14: Fire Exit - This was also hard!
Menacing 25: The Runaround - Hahaha this must be the smallest level I've ever seen. :D Also, a backroute?
Chaotic 18: I Challenge You to a Dual! - Originally meant to be a glitch level, it seems it's possible in an honest manner. :P
Chaotic 25: Just Stop the Bleeding - The only level in this pack I skipped, played the rest through, and came back to solve it as the last level, see the comment in Any Way You Want It.
Hopeless 15: Crown Jewel Heist - This I remember not beating in Lix Community Set, it's quite ferocious!

Spoilery comments:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Chaotic 16: A Tribute to Masonry - Considerably easier than Lemmix version, the guys drop to the splatform when bashing left.
Hopeless 3: Bowser's Revenge - Maybe my favourite level from cheapo pack, but does the exit really have that possibility to build to turn around? Backrouted most probably.
Hopeless 13: The Walk-in Closet from Hell - This I remember not solving from cheapo version. I used stepover-turnaround trick twice here.

geoo:
I started playing this pack to bring back some nostalgia...
Insane Steve's Cheapo levels were the first big pack I was playing, and I remember it taking me months to complete most of it, with individual levels haunting me for even longer. I still remember my fascination with the Mon0lith, and I'm happy to see it as the final level of the pack.
Thanks a lot for compiling this!

I went through Difficult and Chaotic so far. I forgot a decent amount of solutions, yet at the same time it's surprising that for some levels that I played over 10 years ago I still have a faint memory of some main tricks. Though I think the main reason for being much fast than ~12 years ago is that I also got a lot better since then.

A few comments on individual levels so far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)Difficult 12: I solved it with 15 seconds to spare, not trying particularly hard to optimize, so I don't think it's that bad.
Difficult 18: Referring to Proxima's comment, I didn't use any staircase trick, just 2 miners.
Twin paradox 2: My first solution relies on max bridge stretching, a variation of it uses moderate bridge stretching. I haven't looked too deeply for alternative solutions, but I think I remember the Cheapo version also employed some bridge stretching? At least I remember that Twin Paradox was a definite stumbling block for me back in Cheapo.

Chaotic 11 (I am IS part 2): I don't remember my old solution, maybe it was the same?
Split complementaries 1 seems to be harder than 2?
"I challenge you to a Dual" Is Dual a typo or word play? Key trick (glitch) to doesn't work anymore as Akseli said, but I'd argue the solution is even more interesting now.
3 Separate Paths: Very precise timing in my solution, I wonder if that's intended.

mobius:
thanks everyone for all the replays. :thumbsup:

I'll look at them eventually, but it may be a little while as I needed a break from working on this pack and I've been busy with other things like upgrading my PC.

mobius:
UPDATE on 12/30/2018

See original post for download links. Music pack has also changed.

all changes are listed in the changelog (included in the main folder for download)
Also includes updates to styles needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version