Author Topic: Lemforum backroute fixes, Lix 0.10.x  (Read 39002 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemforum backroute fixes, Lix 0.10.x
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2022, 11:03:53 PM »
Thanks, yes, your replay solves it. I've earmarked Five for Fighting for 0.10.3.

Soulful Bounding Leap can lead to precision with jumping onto blockers. See the attached replay for a solution that uses only 1 out of the 4 jumpers. It feels like a backroute. The jumper/blocker physics of course are up for discussion, I have no good offer even for what should theoretically happen.

-- Simon

the thing is; I never had a specific solution in mind when making that level; only the layout. IMO it's okay with multiple solutions, in any case I don't feel like fixing it.

Ramon also solved a few other levels, like Duality slightly differently but I'm okay with all of them.

<dumb rant, dang ramond was streaming earlier today and I missed it!!>
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2022, 06:17:44 AM »
Some fixes after Ramond's and Simon's streams.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »
Thanks!

The old proof replay for Down Among the Dead Lix doesn't cover your fix. As soon as we have a proof for that, I'll earmark your fixes for 0.10.4. Put Your Lix on Ice is also technically unproven now, but I can easily cover that myself.

Tonight at 18:00 UTC (4 hours after this post), I'll attempt to solve these backroute fixes on livestream. We can use my replays as proof if you deem it acceptable, or you can submit your own proof. Edit Simon: Outcome was: Down Among, I still had a backroute.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:20:15 AM by Simon »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2022, 09:04:41 PM »
Fix for All Aboard the Pain Train.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2022, 12:04:03 AM »
lol Ramond "backrouted" The Last Laugh yet again.

edit: I realized that simply changing the bomber to non-fling imploder would work but idk... his solution is honestly kind of creative, I'd still be okay with leaving it in.

I'm wondering now actually, with increasing certainty that this is another part of the reason I decided to trash the level way back when, not because I didn't like it for the reasons I mentioned below but because of backrouting issues. In any case; I don't feel like fixing it anymore.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 04:28:46 PM by mobius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2023, 01:28:01 AM »
Proxima: Please re-cover Down Among the Dead Lix, I don't have a proof for your 2022-12-22 version. But even better: First fix the backroute from my stream, then re-cover.

geoo: Reminder that Pain Train from 2022-12-22 has the backroute with landing on the bottom-right corner of the steel, on the inside.

I doubt that I can finish 0.10.4 during the weekend. You'll all have >= 1 week for these things. Reason: I'd like to submit at least one Lix level to Icho's contest, and I haven't built anything apart from loose drawings on paper. Thus, this upcoming weekend, I'll have to build levels first, and work on the engine second. All good with me, the work on Lix continues to be pure bliss, as it has been since end of November.

I've just made Stickup less precise: It's now easier to close the gap beneath the laser using a platfomer. The steel is closer to the middle of the level. This removes a need for frame-perfect precision ("digger at 118"). geoo's proof replay doesn't need the moved steel and still covers my change here.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:35:46 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2023, 04:53:44 PM »
Proxima: For Down Among the Dead Lix, can you submit the backroute fix & proof replay until Sunday (tomorrow), so I can release Lix 0.10.4 after the multiplayer session on Sunday evening? Otherwise, I'll put your fix from 2022-12-22-morning into 0.10.4, which doesn't fix my reapplied backroute from 2022-12-22-evening, but it's still the newest version and maybe it fixes something from Ramond. Further fixes will then go into 0.10.5, which should ship in a few weeks. With all the work that's getting done, we can release frequently.

geoo has submitted (via github, not here) a fix and a proof for Pain Train, I've built a level contest entry, and I have a releaseable insert mode option. Insert mode isn't perfect yet, but it's enough to warrant a release of 0.10.4, and 0.10.4 should come ASAP because of all the backroute fixes that we already have.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 05:00:56 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2023, 03:49:18 PM »
Down Among the Dead Lix: Easy fix, just moved that small platform even further to the right, also shrunk it since that looks better now.

The Hotel in Hell: Not a fan of how this fix looks, but it should be functional, and partly covering up the trap wasn't a good look in the first place.
[EDIT: Replaced the trap with the 10-ton trap, which maybe combines with the laser a bit better?]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:15:39 PM by Proxima »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2023, 09:50:31 PM »
Thanks! Earmarked these fixes for 0.10.4. I've added your PM'd replay to Down Among to the proof collection, and now 0.10.4 is fully covered.

The Hotel in Hell: Hmm, I'm not too fond of my 10-ton weight's old pixel art. It's the first attached picture.

I'd would recommend to keep the squisher trap. That will also match the style of the other squishers in the level. I have a proposed fix. I've attached a screenshot of the fix (and I've also attached the level for completeness). Should we use this proposal for 0.10.4? The replay collection proves this fix solvable.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2023, 10:21:45 PM »
That's a good idea, thank you.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2023, 10:29:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! Then I'll use the horizontal laser with the squisher, and it's already covered by your 2016 replay. Excellent, then all loose ends are tied together for 0.10.4.

Lix 0.10.4 will release tomorrow. :lix-grin:

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2023, 01:29:01 AM »
my simple fix for Tinker Tailor Soldier Lix was too simple; Raymond backrouted it even worse. Attached a (hopefully) better fix, and replay.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2023, 03:06:18 AM »
and another fix for Theresa falls up the stairs. At one earlier version this second entrance existed and it was removed to fix another backroute, but I *think* that was before the protrusion in the wall existed, so maybe this will be okay???

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2023, 03:53:47 AM »
Watching Ramon's playthough, earmarking backroute fixes for Wait Why is There a Tree and (oddly), Chasm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2023, 10:31:32 PM »
Earmarked Theresa for 0.10.5. Thanks for fixing and covering it!

mobius: Tinker Tailor still has the same backroute even with your fix from 2023-01-17. Find my replay attached.

Proposals for chaos_defrost (click to show/hide)

-- Simon