Author Topic: [Fixed][Sug][Editor] Readdition of simple drag&drop and little grey borders  (Read 3640 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I found 2 new editor things bugging me. One is rather small and the other I would call a bit more annoying.

The small thing:

When zooming in and scrolling, it stops precisely at the level edge and goes no pixel further. I would like to have at least a small grey buffer area. This is helpful when placing pieces partly outside the level area and reduces the chance of missclicks.

The big thing:

Currently you cannot simply drag and drop single pieces. You have to click the piece first + releasing the mouse button and only then you can drag it. This extra click is pretty annoying and is currently needed as it allows you to also drag a selection box by simply holding down the mouse and not having to hold down an extra key like Ctrl too. But I would argue the simple and easy drag and drop is more valueable than a more easily accesible selection box.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:18:09 PM by Nepster »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
This so much!

This is why I like Neolemmix and to a further extent Lemmix because it let me give a good place to put anything and everything down as well as see the entire level when I need to
(because TBH, I don't like the level editor in Lix)

When I eventually make the shift, I want this feature implemented when I get there.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I agree these are two things that would make level making nicer. I commented earlier on the clicking twice issue and Simon made a suggestion.
I wouldn't mind always requiring a control or any key hold down to select multiple pieces.

The first issue is also important. I wonder how I would be able to handle it; as I seem to have the same glitch (that other person with the Kirby avatar) had where moving pieces outside the level area causes a crash. But this is important and useful.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The first issue is also important. I wonder how I would be able to handle it; as I seem to have the same glitch (that other person with the Kirby avatar) had where moving pieces outside the level area causes a crash. But this is important and useful.

I can confirm this crash bug as well (It happened quite often while trying to select and move all pieces in a level starting the selection box from outside the level) and yes this needs to be addressed, but sadly Nepster wasn't able to reproduce this until now. Hopefully it will soon be reproduced and gone. :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
I don't like the level editor in Lix

Please write a nice rant against the Lix editor! Can't improve it when I don't know what's bugging you.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
As there seems to be some support for this suggestion, I implemented the following:
If there is some piece under the cursor point this is selected and one can directly drag it. If there is no such piece, then the area selection is used, i.e. no change is made in this case.

Personally I consider this behavior problematic for two reasons:
1) One can much easier accidentally drag some pieces around
2) In a level which is full of terrain pieces, the area selection is much harder to get. This is partially migitated by the fact, that area selection is always used if Ctrl is pressed, i.e. when the "add pieces to selection" mode is used.

I still can't reproduce the bug with the piece selection outside the level area that Kingshadow3, IchoTolot and möbius encounter.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As there seems to be some support for this suggestion, I implemented the following:
If there is some piece under the cursor point this is selected and one can directly drag it. If there is no such piece, then the area selection is used, i.e. no change is made in this case.

Personally I consider this behavior problematic for two reasons:
1) One can much easier accidentally drag some pieces around
2) In a level which is full of terrain pieces, the area selection is much harder to get. This is partially migitated by the fact, that area selection is always used if Ctrl is pressed, i.e. when the "add pieces to selection" mode is used.

I still can't reproduce the bug with the piece selection outside the level area that Kingshadow3, IchoTolot and möbius encounter.

This seems promising for the drag and drop case! :)

Problem 1 can easily be countered with the undo feature I think.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
I don't like the level editor in Lix

Please write a nice rant against the Lix editor! Can't improve it when I don't know what's bugging you.

-- Simon

At some point I will, I'll just need to get my barrings at together for it.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I found 2 new editor things bugging me. One is rather small and the other I would call a bit more annoying.

The small thing:

When zooming in and scrolling, it stops precisely at the level edge and goes no pixel further. I would like to have at least a small grey buffer area. This is helpful when placing pieces partly outside the level area and reduces the chance of missclicks.

is this being work on at all? I'm beginning to find this very annoying that whenever I want to edit the level around the edges/corners it's awkward because I'm always running up against the edge of the visible screen. And it's nice to having your area of work (no matter where in the level it is) at or near the center of your screen.
Also, and I believe someone else mentioned this elsewhere; it's useful to keep whole complex pieces off screen to use again later.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I think it's currently not worked on, but I am with you here. The more people speak up about that issue the higher are the chances are that it's being addressed.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Regardless how much you speak up, don't expect this any time soon. The reason is two-fold: First of all my focus lies now on the online features and the shimmier addition. So everything else (except actual bugs) will have to wait. Yes, I know, I have promised working on the online features several times already, but now it has priority over improvements of the editor. Secondly I have lots of stuff to do in real life, so progress on NeoLemmix will be slow for a while. Btw, I am still looking for someone else who would like to join the developer "team" and work on improving NeoLemmix (but not by reimplementing stuff that was culled for good (or even any, or even no) reason ;P).

Finally there is a rather easy way around half of the level-edge problem: Make your level area larger when creating the level and shrink it again once the level is finished.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
I finally got around implementing little gray borders that are 10 pixels thick.

As the drag&drop was already added previously, I think everything this suggestion asked for is now implemented.