Author Topic: Lix was part of a study about learning  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Lix was part of a study about learning
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:01:06 AM »
I don't know if it was talked about already:

Some time ago I stumbled into that google books snippet:

Snippet

The text parts available indicate that Lix was used in a study about learning, which I just found remarkable.

Abstract

Full citation:
Vahdat M., Carvalho M.B., Funk M., Rauterberg M., Hu J., Anguita D.: "Learning Analytics for a Puzzle Game to Discover the Puzzle-Solving Tactics of Players", 2016. In: Verbert K., Sharples M., Klobučar T. (eds): "Adaptive and Adaptable Learning", pp. 673-77. EC-TEL 2016. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 9891. Springer, Cham

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lix was part of a study about learning
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
that is remarkable :scared:

how comes Simon always gets all the fame? :P

I haven't read it all yet so I wonder exactly why the picked this: it's not well known but based on a well known game. Thought from my skimming it looked like perhaps they wanted an open sourced game that was easy to modify.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
how comes Simon always gets all the fame? :P

Because of his name. The Simon effect is an ancient psychological phenomenon ;P .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
Wow, interesting find! I knew this paper existed, but had not found it before. Thanks for fishing it from the internet!

I discussed this research project around 2012 with the scientists. Singleplayer and multiplayer work by recording the bare minimum to recreate solutions: You save/send only your assignments, everything else follows from the deterministic physics.  The scientists weren't C++ developers, but figured out enough of the code and the replay format to extend Lix with player monitoring: They monitored level restarts and level progress.

They chose Lix because of its self-contained levels, to study a well-defined small section of the game with many people. I was really happy about their choice, offered to answer any questions about the code, and answered their survey about game design and learning.

Never thought I'd get referenced by a psychology paper earlier than by math papers. :lix-evil: Cool thing!

-- Simon

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:15:24 PM »
That is quite cool they picked your one one for the study Simon. :thumbsup: I noticed they have included a screenshot of the lix game as well, might be more screenshots, haven't checked that one yet. That's kind of cool.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
On this site seems to be the data gathered for the study.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:33:41 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
In this PhD-thesis Lix seems to have played a big part as well. It's by one of the study scientists.
Link to the github page of AdaptiveLix, which seems to be used for the thesis and related to the study.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:55:14 PM by Forestidia86 »