Author Topic: [Checklist] What things must I consider when converting to the new formats?  (Read 2363 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've decided to make a list with all possible things you will need to change or adjust when converting your packs and levels to the new format version. I will cover everything from tileset to physic changes. That way everything is listed in one central topic, so no more searching around for all the changes. ;)

This list can be incomplete, so please if you found something I missed tell me and I'll update the list. I also try and include new things when they are freshly decided.

Physics changes

Radiation and slowfreeze cull (critical)

With the new format version radiation and slowfreeze-objects will be culled so each level using them will have to be adjusted or removed.

The ceiling will become deadly (critical)

The ceiling will now become deadly so each level in which the solid ceiling behavior is part of the level must be adjusted.
Note: A lot of levels can rely on the old solid ceiling behavior passively in a way that for example stray climbers or lemmings can suddenly die even when not part of the actual solution. I highly recommend countermeasures in these cases + where the ceiling can easily be reached as this can be highly annoying otherwise. So check your stuff carefully for unintentional ceiling dependencies!

Freed blockers can now survive a few more pixels when falling ((mostlikely) non-critical)

There was a bug that freed blockers could only survive 60 pixels falling doen rather than 63. This change will most likely not interfere with any level.

Tileset changes

GigaLems's freedom planet tilesets are ongoing a lot of changes (critical)

A lot of tiles were merged here (mostly rotated/flipped/inverted versions) and therefore levels will need some manual fixing as they will look quite different now.

LP V's machine tileset locked exits need to be placed in a different way (Situationally critical)

Currently you need to place the locked exit's door over a fake real exit. With the culling of "fake" based on my knowledge the locked door gets a non-animated exit around it, so the fake real one will be removed now and the placement of the new locked exit sprite should be checked.

Converted Lemmini castle tileset's flamer will have a more slimmer trigger area analog to orig_fire (Situationally critical)

Currently the castle tileset's famer's trigger area is 5 pixels too thick on the bottom side. This will change to match the standard fireblower trigger area.

L2 + L3 tileset changes (decoration critical)

All the changes are listed here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3209.0

Mostly a lot of decorational pieces will be removed and an identical terrain piece will be added to the list of tiles. This means a few decorational pieces will disappear from your levels and you might reconsider and add new decoration.

All custom background pictures must be selected in the editor again (decoration critical)

With converting your levels the background image you chose has been reset and you will need to select it again for it to be displayed. This is because of technical restrictions.

On top of terrain decorational pieces need to be set to "Only-on-terrain" (decoration critical)

As all decorational objects are now classified as moving objects they will always be displayed behing terrain. So for them to be seen on terrain again they must be set to "Only-on-terrain" giving this option more power.
Objects most likely to be affected are:
- L2 outdoor's spider eyes and bush eyes.
- L2 beach's sun eyes.
- L2 egyptian's sphinx eyes.
- The christmas lights of the original xmas set

If you find more tell me and I'll add them here. :)

Most exit tops have been merged with the exit (decoration critical)

As it says a lot of exit tops have been merged with the lower exit and you might reconsider your decoration if you have used the exit tops as decoration objects.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:06:11 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Hang on, the ceiling is deadly now? When did this happen? During the discussion post, most people were in favor of it staying the way it is.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
GigaLems's freedom planet and L3 tilesets are ongoing a lot of changes (critical)

Nepster had to change quite a few things here for the conversion, including tile merges and removals. Levels using these need to be rechecked and fixed.

Details from Nepster would be appreciated here. ;)
First of all this only concerns the Freedom Planet styles; the L3 tilesets basically stayed the same (except the usual changes). But I greatly reduced the number of pieces in the Freedom Planet styles by merging pieces and their rotated/flipped/inverted versions. So levels will quite often look very differently and will require manual fixes.

LP V's machine tileset locked exits need to be placed in a different way (critical)

Currently you need to place the locked exit's door over a fake real exit. With the culling of "fake" based on my knowledge the locked door gets a non-animated exit around it, so the fake real one needs to be removed now to ensure the locked exit behavior + the placement of the new locked exit should be checked.
The fake real exit should be removed automatically and the locked exit sprite will be corrected with the next update. So in 99% of the cases, no changes need be made here.

On top of terrain decorational pieces need to be set to "Only-on-terrain" (decoration critical)
You may add the lights in the christmas style as another example.

Hang on, the ceiling is deadly now? When did this happen? During the discussion post, most people were in favor of it staying the way it is.
First of all: The discussion thread is non-conclusive:
- möbius, nin10doadict, Proxima and myself prefer non-solid ceilings
- Dullstar, GigaLem, IchoTolot and you prefer solid ceilings
- kieranmillar, Simon and Strato Incendus are somewhat neutral
Secondly: Most people prefer the addition of the shimmier, too. But up to now, no properly codeable solution was proposed that keeps the solid ceiling and disallows shimmying along the ceiling.

So given the unconclusive discussion thread on ceilings and the huge support for adding shimmiers, making the ceilings non-solid seemed the best decision. The non-solid ceiling will appear with the next update for the new-formats player.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Solution: Shimmer cannot grab, and instead reverts to faller, if the pixel it would catch is at Y=-1 or lower.
Alternative solution: Allow it, and shimmying across the ceiling is a matter the level designer must account for when using the skill, just like builders or climbers hitting their head on it currently is.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
I already discussed this in the ceiling thread, cf. https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3435.msg67268#msg67268.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Added Nepsters points and changed the post accordingly. :)