Author Topic: jLemmings (disappointing)  (Read 17771 times)

JM

Re: jLemmings (disappointing)
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2005, 02:36:02 PM »
That's an amazing screenshot Ahribar. The level design is also amazing.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2005, 05:52:36 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125768276/30#43 date=1125836268
Wow, I didn't realise this would generate so much controversy :D

Neither did I.  :-/

Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125768276/30#43 date=1125836268
I've uploaded the exits I used for the five Lemmings 1 styles so you can have a look: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/exits.gif

If you really don't like them..... I guess I could make a poll and ask other people whether they prefer the originals.

I'd rather you used the originals...

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »
 Well, for the exits, I don't like the ones for the Classic/Colums and the Crystal style. I really prefer the original for those.

I general, I hope the music gets ready as soon as possible since I want to use your styles; the only changed style of Cheapo that wasn't that bad was the Fire style (except the objects, which were really bad). The Classic/Colums style in cheapo have a totally different feeling, for the Crystal one I dislike the missing contrast, and the pink is really bad.
(I don't really care about the dirt one since I also don't like the original too much, but the cheapo one causes also a different feeling).

That's my opinion.
(About jLemmings I think I don't need to say anything.)

(Note: this should be right topic now ;))

JM

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2005, 06:17:10 PM »
I dont really like the hell graphics as much but I love the pink set and the crystal set.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2005, 07:18:08 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125768276/30#44 date=1125837283
Um....... I haven't seen either so I can't tell you :P Here's a screenshot of a whole level in one of my styles, if it will help you compare

You've seen the windows hi-res one if you look at the 3 screenshots 0xdeadbeef has posted.  The DOS one is basically like the one you see on "The Lemmings Solutions".

The difference can be very noticeable, take a look at 0xdeadbeef's screenshot again:

http://home.arcor.de/0xdeadbeef/rocky.png

I don't know, my first impression was "wow" as you've read.  Maybe that's just me, but if you too, try to include them (all 8 sets!) in your styles!  0xdeadbeef should already have all the graphics so it's a simple matter of asking.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2005, 07:21:01 PM »
Actually, forget it.  They look nice precisely because they were displayed in high resolution.  Cheapo doesn't support that it would seem, so there would be no way for you to use those graphics.  Shame.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2005, 11:22:39 PM »
Quote from: geoo89  link=1125768276/45#47 date=1125856410
Well, for the exits, I don't like the ones for the Classic/Colums and the Crystal style. I really prefer the original for those.

OK, I'll put both in; but I'm still going to use my ones on my levels :P

I general, I hope the music gets ready as soon as possible since I want to use your styles

I'll send you ccexplore's e-mail address then, so you can help to nag him! God knows I've made little enough progress on my own........

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
Quote from: JM  link=1125768276/45#45 date=1125844562
That's an amazing screenshot Ahribar. The level design is also amazing.

Thank you!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2005, 11:43:35 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125768276/30#44 date=1125837283
Here's a screenshot of a whole level in one of my styles, if it will help you compare: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Teaser.gif

I was distracted, but now that I took a closer look...hey, the Twenty-Second Teaser!

Wow, what a difference you've made to the level's appearance.  Of course, now sour-mouthed Shvegait is going to whine about having huge swaths of the level area unused in the solution <ccexplore shoves Shvegait into a cannon and blasts him off this planet  ;P>.

But seriously, it is very impressive looking.  The only bit I'm less sure about are those overhead pipeworks, they seem a little excessive (too many).  But other than that everything else looks fabulous.  B)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2005, 11:49:52 PM »
Thank you! :D

And yes, that was the joke..... since that, out of all my levels, uses by far the least space, I thought I'd put it into a *huge* level. However, to appease Shvegait a little, I've also made a prequel, "Goblin City", that uses quite a bit more of the terrain. (I didn't plan it that way; I just realised after I'd created the layout that it allowed the possibility.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2005, 01:10:53 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1125768276/45#51 date=1125876159
OK, I'll put both in; but I'm still going to use my ones on my levels

Done.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2005, 02:32:02 AM »
I guess I better watch what I say (or how I say it). The first thing I said on the subject was that Hubbart's levels were *extra* cool for using interesting terrain as part of the actual levels (as in, where the Lemmings actually walk). The other thing I said was that it's odd to say that a "good" feature (in a review) of a level would be using only a small part of the terrain. Any comments about terrain use in "The Selhajek Arbenition." are restricted to that level, because, well, you know. I shouldn't have to through that again. :P

I very much like extra scenery for effect!

But if for some reason I'm in a grumpy mood and decide I don't, and I feel like playing the level, well, I have an old version of "Twenty Second Teaser" that doesn't have the extra scenery :P (Btw, the scenery is quite interesting on that level. I would have never thought of making a tree in the pink set!)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2005, 06:29:45 PM »
What the?...Why do they all have mustaches?  They look horrible.  So wait, someone is making a java lemmings right now, I know that much, but, is that someone else's creation or no?

JM

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2005, 06:50:26 PM »
I hate the moustaches. The lemmings look pathetic with moustaches and the graphics (according to the screenshots) are horrible. What the?? This JLemmings game is horrible I'm not touching it.

0xdeadbeef

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2005, 07:05:09 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1125768276/45#57 date=1125944985
What the?...Why do they all have mustaches?  They look horrible.  So wait, someone is making a java lemmings right now, I know that much, but, is that someone else's creation or no?

It is.
And if I'll ever finish and don't get sued by Sony or whatever, the Lemmings will look like this:

And levels will look like this:
http://home.arcor.de/0xdeadbeef/escher.png