Author Topic: [sug] sounds on buttons  (Read 2067 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[sug] sounds on buttons
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »
I think sounds should play when you press the pause and RR buttons, OR ANY of the other buttons. It's a bit awkward that a sound plays on the skill buttons but not them.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: sounds on buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:04:10 AM »
Basically custom sounds for
-RR
-Selecting a skill/highlighting a lemming
-Clicking a lemming
that's what you're getting at?

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [sug] sounds on buttons
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
It's certainly possible to add them, if you tell me what sound should play and attach the sound files here (if they aren't yet used somewhere else in NeoLemmix).

@GigaLem: Whatever sounds are implemented are automatically customizable, at least globally (i.e. not on a per-pack basis).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
While I have no objects to the option of more sounds, I feel like the current behavior might not be that different from what you get in actual Lemmings 1?  I don't remember for sure.  Lemmings 1 (at least on some ports like Amiga) definitely have sound effects for changing the RR, but that's technically not the same as merely clicking the RR buttons.  I want to say pausing never played a sound in Lemmings 1, but I could've just misremembered (after all, usually when I pause, I'm focus on some parts of the level and not the sound effects).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
@ CCX: Who gives a crap about Lemmings 1? ;P [lots of people, I know] I like that when I press a button I hear a sound to know that it worked. In the heat of action you're not always looking directly at where you clicked you might be looking ahead or... etc. If the skill buttons make a sound; so should every button.

As to what sound; it doesn't really matter; it should probably be the same sound that plays when pressing the skill buttons. Another sound option; as in Lix; is a different sound to play when you have 0 skills of the skill you're trying to select. This sound could also play when trying to change the RR when it's locked or at maximum.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
RR changes could play a sound whose pitch varies with the current RR, so that holding down the change button makes it gradually decrease or increase in pitch.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:02:32 PM »
I did like how the SNES version had different SE for picking each skill so the toolbar was like a little piano.