Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 4432 times)

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
I'm back!
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:20 PM »
Hi there!
It's been ages since I first joined this forum, bugging everybody with my questions about Lemmings Revolution.

Great to be back! :)
Playing: Lemmings Revolution
Solved: 93 - Unsolved: 9 - Unreached: 0
Last completed level: The Long And Winding Road

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Well, welcome back then, although we probably don't know each other yet ;) !

My brother spent a lot of time on Lemmings Revolution. As far as I remember, at least one level required a patch to be solveable at all, and another one used the bomber-as-a-floater trick to survive a fall (making a lemming a bomber so that it oh-nos in the moment of hitting the ground, then assigning a builder to it to prevent it from actually exploding). I believe that was only possible in Lemmings Revolution.

I did enjoy the concept of Water- and Acid Lemmings - although from a NeoLemmix perspective, they hardly differ from the swimmer mechanically, except that they can block / build / bash while walking on their respective preferred liquid. The most interesting tool to be considered from Lemmings Revolution, aside from the often discussed wraparound feature, would probably be the gravity inverter. In my book, this offers a lot more design potential than the magno booter from Lemmings 2, because those lemmings can still perform skills while upside down! :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »
Hi BBP, welcome back to the forums!

As far as I remember, at least one level required a patch to be solveable at all, and another one used the bomber-as-a-floater trick to survive a fall (making a lemming a bomber so that it oh-nos in the moment of hitting the ground, then assigning a builder to it to prevent it from actually exploding). I believe that was only possible in Lemmings Revolution.

I managed to beat all the levels without using any glitches ???.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:24 PM »
there are several versions of Revolution floating around; early versions of the game were glitched and do either require a patch to solve or using glitches. The patch (sort of) fixed the deadly fall height in some levels. Even after patched; a glitch persists which is as follows:
at a certain height in between safe and deadly; there is a ~50% chance of life or death. Making certain levels like the one Nessy mentioned very aggravating.

The level "the high Dive" doesn't work in some instances [crashes the game], unfortunately I've forgotten why.

I also really enjoy the gravity mechanic of this game but also the switches/doors maybe my favorite new thing.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Yeah I have a Dice re-release box that also packs X-mas Lemmings. It has High Dive patched, but the incorrect fall-height leaves Tanks A Lot and one other level unfinishable because the Lems are likely not to survive the fall they need to make. So instead of one unplayable level, you have two unplayable levels. :o

I'm not sure if there's been any interesting patch development since then - there's one I found that fixes the colours, but I couldn't find any that fix the fall height.

Since then I did get to finish all the levels of the original game, as I got two copies (one test copy even) of the CD-i version, and at present I'm having fun with replaying the Windows version.

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
I'm sorry, did I say I was having fun replaying Lemmings? I've been stuck on King Of The Castle (Win95) for days!

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
I'm sorry, did I say I was having fun replaying Lemmings? I've been stuck on King Of The Castle (Win95) for days!

Hope this helps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
I know that, but getting it implemented is so hard!

Thanks for the tip though, very nice!:D

Also made a new avatar for this place...

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
I love the new avatar. :D

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
Passed King Of The Castle! 8-)

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »
Not sure about where to put this, but by pressing Alt-F12 in DOSBox you can speed up emulation. Meaning you can use this as Fast-Forward button in Lemmings versions that don't have this.

How It Works:
Start up a level where you have to spend some time waiting
At the point where the waiting section start, press and hold alt + F12 to speed up the game
By letting go of the keys, DOSBox returns to normal speed.

Thanks Qbix for the tip!