Author Topic: New PSP Lemmings Screenshots.  (Read 31525 times)

tumble_weed

New PSP Lemmings Screenshots.
« on: August 30, 2005, 03:20:22 PM »

Bloody hell, the Hell level is looking really nice! I wonder what the exit is going to look like!

and the Egypt levels are looking nice too, very unambiguous, it seems that the column levels were actually intended to be an Egyptian style.

The new design of the skills doesn't really look all that great though, and the "SPLAT" thing looks awful.

Deathman48

Re: New PSP Lemmings Screenshots.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 03:35:55 PM »

Now there's a level we should all recognise. =D

I didn't know there was ever going to be another Lemmings game. I don't plan on getting a PSP though. Looks like there's gonna be a mix of old and new levels.

JM

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 04:16:55 PM »
The screenshots are looking good. Especially the crystal level.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 05:12:19 PM »
There's something very strange and very weird: Digger skill and Miner skill are exchanged. O_o

Also, I don't recongnize the level of the second screenshot (the hell one). Probably it's a new one!
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Jazzem

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 09:50:32 PM »
I think it looks horrible myself. It all looks so un-lemmings and the whole thing is a scramble of sprites that are ugly and don't go well together. I also hate the PSP d-pad, and I would hate to use it with Lemmings. Horses for course of course.

If I had/was getting a PSP though, it would be the first game I'd get.

tumble_weed

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 11:34:38 PM »
yeah I agree its not perfect...but its way better than anything i could have expected they would make...but if/when i get a PSP and if/when they release it here I would get it.

Offline Argai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem  link=1125415222/0#4 date=1125438632
I think it looks horrible myself. It all looks so un-lemmings and the whole thing is a scramble of sprites that are ugly and don't go well together. I also hate the PSP d-pad, and I would hate to use it with Lemmings. Horses for course of course.

If I had/was getting a PSP though, it would be the first game I'd get.

Exactly, Lemmings games have to look like a Lemmings game, not like a modern style 2D game.

Andi

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 08:34:33 PM »
2 good thing: - The umbrellas have now an acceptable size.
                     - I like the egyptian paintings. ^^

Some bad things: - The skill icons are just ugly.
                             - The levels are too "look like 3d". It's just confusing me.
                             - The new Crystal set sucks. I like the old one A LOT more.
                             - The good ol' Trapdoor seems to be gone. It was a very important thing for me to hear at the beginning of a level the gates of the trapdoor opening. Where are the gates?
                              - Ledder? what is that supposed to be? Bricks are much cooler! How do they think of creating a ledder?
                              - The hell set looks like "Burning Voodoo Island".
                              - Somethings says me background of the Crystal set doesn't fit to a crystal mine. More to: "Under the toilette". As well as the rest of the crystal set, but the crystals themself.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 08:47:12 PM »
Quote from: Andi  link=1125415222/0#7 date=1125520473
- The good ol' Trapdoor seems to be gone. It was a very important thing for me to hear at the beginning of a level the gates of the trapdoor opening. Where are the gates?

=8O OHNOS! It's the new high-tech retractible trapdoors we saw in lemmings 2! Everybody, RUN FOR THE OCEAN! :D

And the fallers don't actually look like they're falling, they look like they're finishing off a gymnast move or something.  O_o

EDIT: And I wonder what the pink levels are going to look like.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »
Quote from: Andi  link=1125415222/0#7 date=1125520473
- Ledder? what is that supposed to be? Bricks are much cooler! How do they think of creating a ledder?

You mean ladder :D
I guess its a replacement of the climber ability.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 09:52:48 PM »
Quote from: Mindless  link=1125415222/0#9 date=1125523995
You mean ladder :D
I guess its a replacement of the climber ability.

I think it's still the climber ability, just that they use the ladder to depict it in the skills toolbar.

It's just like how they are using an ax and a shovel to depict the miner and digger for example.

I'm guessing that since the PSP screen is smaller, it's better if they make the skill icons as distinctive as possible.  The old ones might look a little too similar on a small screen.  But on that note, the blocker and basher icons don't look different enough......  :-/

Jazzem

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 09:55:11 PM »
I hope there's an unlockable option that allows you to use the old look, this is all so lifeless and loathsome!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 11:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Jazzem  link=1125415222/0#11 date=1125525311
I hope there's an unlockable option that allows you to use the old look, this is all so lifeless and loathsome!

Well, you can always just play the PC version (CustLemm or Cheapo) for free.  ;P

I can't help but wonder whether we as a group are biased by the fact that we love lemmings so much, the original images of the game are so ingrained into our brains that anything else just seem so alien.  It's curious what people who have never seen or played the original games will think of all this.

DragonsLover said a discussion board was set up for this remake, correct?  What were people's opinions there?  (Of course, there's generally a natural bias towards positive support in these kinds of furms.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 11:10:58 PM »
Quote from: Argai  link=1125415222/0#6 date=1125519461
Exactly, Lemmings games have to look like a Lemmings game, not like a modern style 2D game.

Unfortunately, no serious modern day game publisher will take the risk of being ridiculed by game magazines and reviewers for graphics from the Jurazzic era.  ;P

That being said, there're certainly other ways to re-imagine Lemmings in hi-res graphics other than what Team7 currently came up with.  I have to say that I'm probably not going to becoming used to this new style for a long long time.  ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:14:26 PM »
Quote from: Isu  link=1125415222/0#8 date=1125521232
And the fallers don't actually look like they're falling, they look like they're finishing off a gymnast move or something. &#A0;O_o

Yeah, that doesn't look right, although I wonder if it's just because of the stillness of a screenshot.  Maybe in animation it'd look more acceptable.

Then again, maybe they just haven't worked on finalizing the animation yet.  Hopefully.