Author Topic: [BUG] [PLAYER] Too many skills overlap.  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
[BUG] [PLAYER] Too many skills overlap.
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
When I added more than 8 skills by accident, the extra ones went on top of the pause and nuke buttons. :P
This happened in the latest version of the new format editor.

Attached is a picture of what happened.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:45:07 PM by Raymanni »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] [EDITOR] Too many skills overlap.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the bug report. It's amazing that NeoLemmix didn't crash there :lem-shocked:.

And actually that's not an editor bug, but a player bug. As everyone can modify level files even without the editor, the player itself has to check that only 8 skills a present. This bug will be fixed in the next NeoLemmix player version.

I want to continue allowing setting more than 8 skills in the editor. It is convenient to be able to do this, if you want to replace your blockers by stoners in a level that already uses 7 other skills. If I restrict the editor to 8 skills, you would have to remove the blockers first before adding stoners; in the current set-up you can also swap the two actions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG] [PLAYER] Too many skills overlap.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »
I would suggest not allowing *saving* a level with more than 8 skill types - or at least presenting a warning when attempting to do so.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
I would suggest not allowing *saving* a level with more than 8 skill types - or at least presenting a warning when attempting to do so.
The level validator already checks whether there are at most 8 skills, but that might indeed be not enough. On the other hand I don't want to present level designers with too many warnings about potential problems with their level, because warning messages are annoy me.
So I would like to have a bit more input whether such warnings would be appreciated or not, before implementing it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Either display a warning or expand the number of skills the player supports in a given level.

Both (having the process of saving fail) and (having the process of playing the level fail) as a result of 9+ skills is easy to fix as soon as the user is aware of the problem - if the problem is just that the level won't save or won't play for some reason, then they just have to try different things until they figure out that 9+ skills is the problem (whether they accidentally had 9+ or were unaware that 8 was the maximum). And considering there are few issues that the level validator is needed for, they might not think to use it.

Warning are only bad if they tell the user things they don't really need/want to know. "Your level will cause the player to have issues" is probably something the user needs to know.
Since 9+ skills causes problems, I see no reason NOT to warn for this.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
This bug can all serve as a suggestion, like having the bar expand for having 9+ skills
Another thing I could add is I like that lix doesn't limit you 8 skills you have the ability to use all 14 skills in one level, I would like for Neolemmix to allow the use of using more than 8 skills.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
Ok, I might be able to modify the skill panels to allow for more skills:
- In the normal skill panel, we have some space left anwyway.
- In the compact skill panel, I could remove the minimap, if a level uses more than 8 skills.
But there is no hope to get all 17 (soon 19) different skills on the skill panel. Therefore there has to be some limit.

And, yes, probably it is a good idea to add a warning message in the editor already.