Author Topic: Miniatures (misc/miniatures)  (Read 11915 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Miniatures (misc/miniatures)
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:47:59 AM »
Hi!

Find attached 10 miniatures built by geoo and me.

I call a level a miniature iff it satisfies all of these constraints:
  • Width is at most 320, which is half the default level width.
  • Height is at most 200, which is half the default level height.
  • Number of lix is at most 9.
  • Total number of skills is at most 9.
The width/height restrictions are inspired by Gronkling's small maps. Gronkling explained how the small levels would happen naturally for him. I was envious and decided to build a couple small maps, too!

geoo and I made these several months ago. Originally, I've wanted to hoard them until I had a proper pack. But I haven't worked on small levels recently, therefore I'll release them without pack polish.

All levels are proven solvable under 0.9.x physics.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:11:11 PM by Simon »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Miniatures (10 small levels)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »
Attached solutions to all of Simon's levels and three of geoo's levels. For the other two I have ideas, but I miss the variable SI to time my lix correctly.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Thanks for playing!

Feedback for Nepster (click to show/hide)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:13:33 PM by Simon »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:09:14 PM »
I really like the idea of miniature levels. I think they fit my playstyle best. I can deal better with one compact puzzle than having to go through a long level. And there are less possible combinations what to do so that I can even solve those things on my skilllevel. Insofar it's really cool that you made those levels.
I have attached solutions to all ten (played on v. 0.8.4).

Concerning the single levels:

Simon's levels:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

geoo's Levels:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
Thanks for playing, and welcome to the forums, Forestidia! I'm super happy that you joined because of these levels -- I didn't imagine they would make such an impact on anyone.

I wholeheartedly agree that the forced simplicity is refreshing; we'll still have large levels, too. Surprisingly, even among these small levels, some became harder than intended. I thought that happens only with large levels because designers underestimate distractions by side ideas and decoration.

Feedback for Forestidia86 (click to show/hide)

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
Hey, welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for playing our levels and the commentary.
Good work on solving the levels, I think some of them, in particular 'Rock on the Block', are quite tricky.

I'm going to comment on your solutions to my levels.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on my solutions. I have solved your 3 alternative/new versions, geoo, and attached the solutions.

Edit: I forgot but I noticed that the alternative "Solitary Confinement" level has only save one but I guess one should save all three (, which I have done in my replay). My solution is actually kind of the inverse of what I tried the whole time before I got to the alternate one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:29:03 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:38 PM »
Cool, you found the intended solutions to Solitary and Cubicle now :)
I attached a fix for Solitary (changing the requirement to 3/3, thanks for the remark) and also a minor change to Frog Fractions.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »
Have solved the new "Frog Fractions" and attached. Note: I renamed your level file to "frogfractions_alt2".

Some remarks on the three redone levels:

Edit just for clarification: With "attached" I mean of course "attached the solution". (I hope nobody got that wrong. I'm very insecure about such things).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:13:13 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »
I streamed these levels (starts around 43:00)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/187415227

I solved one or two from each I think. They had pretty neat or clever solutions. With good stinking discussion. :laugh:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »
Hi,

I solved these levels a while ago but forgot to post my replies :\

Thanks mobius for reminding me.

All level replays are attached below.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »
Hi, I solved these levels a while ago
replays are attached below.

Thanks for playing!

About Nessy's solutions (click to show/hide)

Quote from: mobius
I streamed these levels (starts around 43:00)

I skimmed through the video. Solitary Confinement was solved very complicatedly, but nonetheless a cool solution. You didn't stick with any level for long, but what you did solve, it looked very much intended or acceptable.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »
I'm considering to include these levels in the Lix main download.

geoo, are you okay with including your levels in the Lix main download under CC0 (same as all existing levels in the Lix main download)?

For the directory structure, it's getting tricky. You designed 5 miniatures in 2017. I've released 5 miniatures here in 2017 and have designed 3 more in 2018. And then I have designed 4 standalone levels in 2018 that aren't miniatures, but should be released nonetheless. My so-far-unreleased 3+4 levels are attached to this post, in case it helps the discussion, and also as a cultural backup.

I feel like everything should go into some subdirectory structure in levels/single/misc/. But the exact directory structure, should it separate by release (thus separate the 10 miniatures from this thread from the 3 new miniatures), by author (thus split the 10 minis from this thread apart), or by miniature status (thus make a completely separate dir in misc/ for my other 4 levels)?

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 05:40:14 AM »
For me it's similar, in addition to the miniatures I also have a tiny amount of levels sitting around that I haven't released yet.

The miniatures were released as an entity an make a coherent small pack of levels. So I'd propose to have them in levels/single/mics/miniatures, and any future miniatures that fit the spirit as well, and we just decide on an ordering of the levels (without author-specific subfolders). Kinda similar to your and Forestidia's Xmas pack.
We'd then release our non-miniature levels in author-specific folders within misc.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »
I like your proposal with 3 directories: all miniatures, all non-miniatures by geoo, all non-miniatures by Simon. The miniatures have strong coherence indeed.

I won't work on this collection immediately. If I need replays or can't find levels, I'll come back to you.

-- Simon