Author Topic: Raymanni's tilesets  (Read 14578 times)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Raymanni's tilesets
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »
Hello guys! I'll be using this topic to share all of my custom tilesets for NeoLemmix. :D

I've included a preview picture of every tileset to show it's content. Tiles are on the left, steel and one-way arrows in the middle and objects on the right.
I hope I remembered to do everything. Every trigger area should be correct and all tiles should be there. :thumbsup:
If you find anything weird, let me know!

I will update the images soon!

1. Circus

2. Sewer

3. Food

4. Snow

5. Cyberspace

6. El Dorado

7. Biolab

8. Gore

9. Toys

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:09:12 PM by Raymanni »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Raymanni's tilesets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
Awesome! :thumbsup:

However, I'm not wild about the one-way arrows in the food style; the colour just doesn't stand out on those bricks. My first thought was red, but that wouldn't work on the apple. How about yellow with a red outline?

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:34 AM »
Aw man this rocks, though I may ask, Got any more planned?
or do you plan on making any more levels wit these sets?

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll be making more in the future, and levels too. :D
However, I'm not wild about the one-way arrows in the food style; the colour just doesn't stand out on those bricks. My first thought was red, but that wouldn't work on the apple. How about yellow with a red outline?
Hmm, good point. I'll test different colours and see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
Thank you so much for these, Raymanni! :thumbsup:

I've already made a level in the Cyberspace tileset and I've submitted this to Colorful Arty to stream. This level is of Fun difficulty, but I wanted to try out the tileset right away. Cyberspace is my favorite of all your tilesets!

The worm trap in the Food tileset is misleading as not every will know right away that the green dot is actually a worm. It should show the worm's face already so people will likely better know that the green dot is actually a trap. For the arrows, I think black with a yellow outline would work very well.

The Snow single-use trap really needs something added to it to make it less misleading. I would add some sort of warning sign that looks similar to this, except without the text and showing a lemming slipping instead.

I think you should add a locked exit to the Biolab tileset. The radiation looks very cool!

I feel the monster trap in the Gore tileset can still be misleading even though it doesn't have the Exit sign to make it distinguishable from the other one. Maybe a warning sign with a skull and crossbones on top of it? A locked exit in the Gore tileset would be very interesting; pretty much the exit opening its mouth when you've pressed all the buttons.

Can you add the rest of the alphabet for the blocks in the Toys tileset if you can? Also, there needs to be normal-colored square pieces in addition to the rectangle/triangle/arch blocks. The red dot on the top of the robot exit also needs to be adjusted; currently, it is flashing red and white really fast which could hurt someone's eyes; it should change colors in a way that is easier on the eyes (something like smoothly fading in and out; it's hard to explain, but see the Psychedelic graphic set's exit as an example).

Thanks again for these tilesets, and I will look forward to more from you in the future! Do you also plan to make a Rayman-themed tileset?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
Thank you Wafflem! I've taken notes on everything you mentioned, and I shall make more adjustments in the future! :D

I was actually planning to do a Rayman themed level for the level design contest 12, but decided otherwise in the end. The problem with Rayman tilesets is that they are really big compared to the size of the Lemmings. ;)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
Sounds great! I can see why making levels with big Rayman tilesets can be troublesome.

After playing around with the Cyberspace tileset some more, the one-way fields will also be in need of animation. Currently, it's just a non-moving green line, which people might potentially confuse for terrain. I would give the green line a slow flashing animation to make it clearer that it's a one-way field. Or you can give it a "wiping" motion (e.g. the Lab graphic set's one-way fields)

The splitter's arrow is the same as the one-way field, which can also cause some confusion. Perhaps make this arrow a bit bigger than the one way field's, and some text like "RIGHT" for a right-facing splitter and vice versa?

Perhaps the Food tileset could use more types of food - steak, eggs, mayonnaise, butter, syrup, hamburgers, fries...and maybe waffles? ;)

You should consider making another background for those who want to make levels involving vertical scrolling. If one attempts to make one that is of a tall height, the background will look weird (example in picture below).

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
After playing around with the Cyberspace tileset some more, the one-way fields will also be in need of animation. Currently, it's just a non-moving green line, which people might potentially confuse for terrain. I would give the green line a slow flashing animation to make it clearer that it's a one-way field. Or you can give it a "wiping" motion (e.g. the Lab graphic set's one-way fields)

The splitter's arrow is the same as the one-way field, which can also cause some confusion. Perhaps make this arrow a bit bigger than the one way field's, and some text like "RIGHT" for a right-facing splitter and vice versa?
Consider it done. :D
Perhaps the Food tileset could use more types of food - steak, eggs, mayonnaise, butter, syrup, hamburgers, fries...and maybe waffles? ;)
The possibilities are endless... But adding more food is not a priority right now. ;)
You should consider making another background for those who want to make levels involving vertical scrolling. If one attempts to make one that is of a tall height, the background will look weird (example in picture below).
I see, I'll figure out some alternate backrounds. Maybe an ice cave could work for the snow tileset?

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
Sorry for the quick doublepost, but I have made some additions.
-Every tileset now has a alternative backround suitable for vertical levels (Except cyberspace because it's backround works either way)
-I added a locked exit to biolab, changed the food tileset's arrows to blue, made the worm trap's first frame more understandable, fixed the robot's flashing light... :D
-Made animations to various objects so they wouldn't be confused with terrain, namely the arrows from cyberspace
-Added 16x16 bricks to the toy tileset
-I reworked the ice trap completely from the snow tileset. It's no longer a trap, but instead a triggered animation, this way it can be a hidden drop without actually killing a lemming. The only problem now is that the animation is triggered every time a lemming touches the trap, but it's not a huge issue. I also added a "Thin ice" -warning to the tileset.
-Every trap and object now has a custom sound effect! I wasn't pleased with the default slurp for the gore and sewer traps, so I made my own. :D
I added the zip to the first post.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
Thanks for the update!

The updates look really good, and I like the new vertical backgrounds, especially the Biolab one! The new sounds are also awesome! However, I'm not too sure about the Snow one, it doesn't seem like an ice cave like you suggested, and the background doesn't seem to go well with the terrain.

Got some single-use trap suggestions for Food, Biolab and Gore:
Food - a freezer, where a lemming enters it, and gets frozen by it. The freezer opens, showing the lemming frozen in ice, and no other lemmings can enter.
Biolab - I really like those containers where they show a lemming hooked up to wires inside green water. Perhaps such a trap would be a lemming accidentally walking into the container, the container closing, wires hooking up the lemming and then filling up with green water. This might be very hard to animate, though.
Gore - a monster, of a different color, simply eating the lemming, licking its lips and then sinking down into the ground.

Also, maybe add antisplat/splat pads to Cyberspace and Biolab? These objects have been extremely underused and only appear in the Wasteland tileset.

Every tileset by other people released so far has had pickup skills, so it feels weird that the Sewer, Food, Snow and Gore have no such objects, and as such are in need of them. I love the custom designs of the pickup skills, though; they look very well-made, especially Cyberspace!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:05:58 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks! Your suggestions are neat, I especially like the freezer. :D
Every tileset by other people released so far has had pickup skills, so it feels weird that the Sewer, Food, Snow and Gore have no such objects, and as such are in need of them. I love the custom designs of the pickup skills, though; they look very well-made, especially Cyberspace!
You are right, but I don't like the look of the default blue orbs that most of the other tilesets have.. :sick: I'll make some custom ones for a future update, but for the time being you could use a pickup object from another tileset. :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
Just keep in mind that there is no guarantee that custom pickup skill graphics will remain supported in the future. And, that weird stuff might occur if any extra skills are added and your graphic sets use a non-standard graphic (for standard graphics, it's possible for NL to auto-generate the missing ones; it already does this with Fencer pickups for older graphic sets that don't have a graphic for them).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
A suggestion for the water in the Cyberspace tileset - currently, it only displays the binary 0's and 1's that, while they look cool, they might again potentially confuse players. Something like in the picture below (it's a rough drawing but the main idea is there) would make it much clearer that the object is water.

Also, there is a "No Effect" object in the Biolab set; not sure why it is there, as it is basically a blank square.

Out of curiosity, but how will Spicy 1 of Raylems look like, now that you've removed the single-use trap in the Snow tileset?

I'm really enjoying your graphic sets so far and have made some levels with those already!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:41:30 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »
Just keep in mind that there is no guarantee that custom pickup skill graphics will remain supported in the future. And, that weird stuff might occur if any extra skills are added and your graphic sets use a non-standard graphic (for standard graphics, it's possible for NL to auto-generate the missing ones; it already does this with Fencer pickups for older graphic sets that don't have a graphic for them).
Well, if every tileset is going to have the same default graphics in the future, I'm more than happy to redesign the blue ball.. heh. :D

A suggestion for the water in the Cyberspace tileset - I think it should have some sort of background; currently, it only displays the binary 0's and 1's that, while they look cool, they might again potentially confuse players. Something like in the picture below (it's a rough drawing but the main idea is there) would make it much clearer that the object is water.
I'll look into it!
Also, there is a "No Effect" object in the Biolab set; not sure why it is there, as it is basically a blank square.
Yeah, that's an accident. :-[

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Great work!! :thumbsup: