Author Topic: Improve fall height ruler for climbers [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Improve fall height ruler for climbers [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
Some time ago a fall height ruler was added to NeoLemmix to indicate the max fall height of lemmings. For lemmings walking over edges this works very well, but less so in case of climbers: When a climber hits his head on the ceiling, his position is still several pixels below the ceiling. So he does not fall the total distance between ceiling and ground, but slightly less. However this small difference cannot be measured with the current fall height ruler. In other words: In the climber setting, the fall height ruler does not give an accurate answer to whether the climber will splat or not.

Question: How can we improve the fall height ruler, so that players can apply it to measure fall distances of climbers?

Here is the best idea I could come up with: Add a climber sprite at the top of the fall height ruler, so that a climber will survive the fall if and only if the ruler together with the climber sprite fits between the ceiling and ground.

Any thoughts, better ideas, criticism, ...?

Thanks to möbius for noticing this and telling me.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Improve fall height ruler for climbers [DISCUSSION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:46:41 AM »
Adding a seperate region of a different color might work for this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
The problem with that suggestion is that it's not clear to new users what it means.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
Neither is the fall distance ruler in and of itself. Arguably, of course, that too should be improved, or at least documented somewhere beyond "people mention it to each other sometimes and a reference to it can also be found in the Hotkey Config menu".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 03:53:34 AM »
New fall height ruler for V12.8.0.

How it works: The pixel inside the magenta area at the bottom, is the pixel the lemmings will be landing on. Green = walkers / etc falling from this height will survive; Orange = climbers hitting their head at this height will survive; Red = splat.

There's nothing required other than the new image file, so you can replace the image file in stable (gfx/helpers/fall_distance.png) to try out - and use, if you like it - the new one.
My Lemmings projects