Author Topic: [FIXED] Jumping disarmers should continue jumping [BUG] [PHYSICS]  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
A walker reaching a step of 3-6 pixels will be for a few frames a jumper, who cannot receive any skills. However a jumper can still disarm a trap when reaching a trap trigger area and of course having the disarmer skill. After having done his work, the disarmer will revert to a walker at his current position, which is one pixel inside the wall and at an intermediate height.
This creates several problems:
- The disarmer may ghost through 1-pixel thin walls. See example level 1.
- One can assign a new skill at intermediate height. See example level 2.

I suggest the following fix: If a disarmer was a jumper before, he will become a jumper again once finished with disarming the trap.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:22:04 PM by Nepster »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Jumping disarmers should continue jumping [BUG] [PHYSICS]
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Sounds really weird, and given that the disarmer looks like a digger, I would expect this to look weird as well. I would suggest instead that jumpers cannot disarm.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:39:12 AM »
given that the disarmer looks like a digger

Let's not take the animation into account here, because the Disarmer really does need a better one anyway. It's just something I (still) haven't got around to doing.

I would suggest instead that jumpers cannot disarm.

Jumper is effectively a sub-action of walker, when they step up slightly steeper walls. On the other hand, a precedent for different rules for the two do exist in, as mentioned, Jumpers not being able to be assigned skills.

I prefer Nepster's suggestion, but I don't have too strong a preference either way; it's probably something level designers should avoid relying on either way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
I realized that regardless what we decide upon, it won't be sufficient in itself: Even when only stepping up two pixels, i.e. even when remaining a walker and never becoming a jumper, disarmers can ghost through 1-pixel walls. See attached example level.

The only idea I have to fix this, is the following:
- Whenever a lemming moved upwards when reaching the trap trigger area, he will become a jumper after disarming the trap.
- Whenever a lemming moved downwards when reaching the trap trigger area and doesn't have a solid pixel under his feet, he will become a faller after disarming the trap. (And yes, this can occur when a lemming takes a two-pixel step down.)