Author Topic: Option to turn on/off success/fail jingle sounds [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Please consider an option to toggle the success/fail sounds, or just remove it altogether. I feel that while they can be informative in the sense that you know immediately if you failed a level or succeeded, that the sounds are very annoying and distracting.

For example, when I play a level, but then I figured I play the wrong level and want to change it, then I hit the exit level hotkey, I get the fail sound.

When I test my single level and see a minor mistake I want to fix, I hit the exit level hotkey...fail sound.

If I don't want to hear the success/fail sounds, the only thing I can do is mute the sound, which in turn will mute any lemming activity when playing the game.

Seeing text in front of me that tells me if I beat or failed a level is more than enough. So please either add the toggle option, or just remove it completely.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Option to turn on/off success/fail jingle sounds [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
I would also love at least an option to turn them off.  :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:45 PM »
Regardless of the option, the fail sound shouldn't play when you exit a level, but only when you finish the level and haven't saved enough.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
Regardless of the option, the fail sound shouldn't play when you exit a level, but only when you finish the level and haven't saved enough.

The problem is that the game can't really tell whether it's a case of "Player thought they had saved enough and hit Esc, but really hadn't" vs "Player quit". A few tests could be used such as "how long did they play" or "did they save at least one lemming", but these will be prone to both false positives and false negatives; if I were able to get such tests to the point that they're virtually always accurate, I should probably be designing advanced AI and not a lemmings clone.

As far as a user-side option to simply disable them altogether goes, that's already on the todo list: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixplayer/issues/80/postscreen-view-jingles-allow-user-to
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
The problem is that the game can't really tell whether it's a case of "Player thought they had saved enough and hit Esc, but really hadn't" vs "Player quit".

While that's true, I suspect the former is rare enough that the best way to minimise the total of false positives and false negatives is simply to stipulate that the fail jingle never plays after an Esc, but only when the last lemming dies or exits.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
I would still rather avoid any case of trying to determine when the user may or may not want it, apart from their own direct settings.

But for the next update, I have implemented options to disable or enable these sounds altogether. The two can be set independantly from each other - ie: you can enable the success one but disable the failure one (or vice versa) if you want.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:40:02 AM »
<SimonN> I think you should remove both screens from playtest, and wait whether users rage and want either back
<SimonN> I don't want to suggest anything for the
[non-playtest] game based on my own bad experience that didn't point me to anything
<SimonN> I wanted to remove the end-of-game box in Lix. That turned out bad, I wrote a blog-thread post on it. The particular idea sucked. But in general, I'm wary of extra dialogs or screens. Especially if they're clicked away 90 % of the time.

-- Simon