Author Topic: [suggestion][editor]Smaller Water Objects?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
[suggestion][editor]Smaller Water Objects?
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
BitBucket: https://bitbucket.org/namida42/neolemmixplayer/issues/32/improve-fitting-of-water-to-smaller-areas

Would it be possible to create another water object that is maybe 1/4 or half the width as the normal water obstacles? Most of the time it is possible to cover up the water with steel but sometimes the large size of the water hazard can make it awkward to use in tight places.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:25:58 AM by namida »

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: [suggestion][editor]Smaller Water Objects?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »
Alternately, water could be resizeable horizontally because it tiles that way. The current size would just be the default setting.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:58 PM »
Great suggestion!

However I would suggest to combine adding the smaller water objects with updating to NeoLemmix V1.44 and its the new file-tree based style structure. The reason is simply, that when updating to V1.44 everyone has to download the new style files anyway, so noone needs to do any extra work in updating their local style files.

Alternately, water could be resizeable horizontally because it tiles that way. The current size would just be the default setting.
This sounds like a good idea, though unfortunately the current code is very poorly equipped to support it. Perhaps one could reuse some of the one-way arrow code for this. But the main priority in the NeoLemmix development lies currently on the new file system for styles, levels, ... so don't be disappointed if namida tags this additional suggestion as [LOW-PRIORITY] for now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
I do very much like this idea. Smaller pieces is absolutely doable; resizable I can't promise but I'll look into it - indeed, it will be lower-priority for now, but if the change is going to be made, it'll likely still be made before any major stable update.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:43:28 AM »

This is probably the best way to handle this, since I don't think smaller pieces would tile properly.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »

This is probably the best way to handle this, since I don't think smaller pieces would tile properly.

The thing is the smaller water doesn't necessarily have to tile perfect since you would only need it it small places. If you ever needed more than one of it you can just use the larger water piece we already have.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »

The thing is the smaller water doesn't necessarily have to tile perfect since you would only need it it small places. If you ever needed more than one of it you can just use the larger water piece we already have.

I think it would be better if it was made to tile properly simply because there's the possibility of having a space for water that's too big for the 1/4 water tile but too small for the full tile.  Covering these areas up with steel would probably be less of an issue than it is with a gap that needs 1/4 of the tile, but still awkward in some specific situations.  Resizable water with the current size as the default would probably cover more usage cases, with the added bonus of not cluttering up the interface with multiple copies of what is essentially the same object.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 06:28:49 PM »
Alright guys, lucky day for y'all!

I've implemented resizable objects! :) This won't work very well with stuff like traps, but it works very well for water (and one-way arrows, possibly updrafts too). So, no need for an alternatively-sized water object; in future updates, the water objects will be resizable.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:34:53 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)