Author Topic: MazuLems for NeoLemmix!  (Read 13542 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
MazuLems for NeoLemmix!
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72760678/MazuLems.zip

MazuLems was a classic pack of 30 levels created by Martin Zurlinden over 10 years ago for Dos Lemmings. Since a Neolemmix conversion has not been made yet; I decided to do it. I made a few very minor edits to account for necessary details noted below. This folder comes with a walkthrough written by MZ himself. Thanks to GigaLem for making the title graphic.

notes:
level 6 has known backroutes but I don’t know how to remove them at present.
level 10 has an invisible exit.
level 15 has invisible terrain
level 16 has been omitted because it relies on glitches only present in DOS.
level 28 supposedly has at least 6 actual different solutions. I’ve only found 2 so far, I’m curious to see other peoples and how many solutions can be found.

If you have issues/questions/comments feel free to post or contact me, Martin Zurliden has been here before but he's not immensely active.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: MazuLems for NeoLemmix!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:35:09 AM »
First of all thanks to mobius and Gigalem for their hard work involved in converting this pack to NeoLemmix

Secondly, for those who aren't aware. I intend on doing a video play through (with commentary as usual ;P) of this pack soon on my Youtube channel. I have finished Lemmings Plus II at the time of writing this but I'm having trouble getting the last videos uploaded at the moment (due to my stone age internet connection), but rest assured once all the LPII videos are up, this will shortly follow :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
level 10 has an invisible exit.
level 15 has invisible terrain

In both of these cases, those are the entire point of the level, and should not be changed. People who really don't like this are free to skip over those levels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, did you include the two former levels that were removed? I remember that at least one of them was a fairly decent level. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:53:32 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
Yeah Namida is right I remember there were two other levels that never made it into the actual 30 level pack. The 30 main levels were very well designed and at the time it was very hard puzzle wise. I remember playing this pack with my dad must of been the early 2000s where we must of got stuick on the china syndrome level. :) Level 15 oh that must be the cave level well I remember getting stuck on that one for a while.

I will be looking forward to seeing you play through the pack Flopsy, Have you completed the pack before as it will probably be a very tricky pack to play blindly but if anyone can do it you can Flopsy. Anyway up to you. :)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:26:49 PM »
I have seen some of the levels in this pack before grams88 but it was because I watched namida's playthrough of Revenge of the Lemmings. At least that's where I think I saw these levels.

EDIT: Hopefully this pack will be hard enough to prepare me for Lemmings Plus III (which is after that), which is going to make LPI and LPII look easy according to what I've heard

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »
level 16 has been omitted because it relies on glitches only present in DOS.

I can confirm this level is possible to solve, unmodified (except for removing the steel areas and using Autosteel instead), in both V1.43n-F and the latest experimental version from Nepster. Obviously, the solution is different from the original one (though fairly similar). Replay for V1.43n-F attached; the solution is the same for the experimental version though the exact replay likely won't work due to subtle differences in timing. Considering that this solution is very similar to the original one, I don't think the slight difference is enough grounds to justify excluding it, unless Mazu himself has said it should be for this reason.

(EDIT: There are at least two other solutions that work in NL too, although they're just slight variations of this one.)

Yeah Namida is right I remember there were two other levels that never made it into the actual 30 level pack.

At least one of them was in there originally; back when I first played this pack it was Level 15. It was replaced at a later date.

EDIT:
The two removed levels can be found here: http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgIXYlwkM/
Looking at them now, these two were definitely both in there back when I first played this pack. "Lemming Come Back!" is the one I was specifically referring to earlier.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:04:43 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »
oh no! I totally forgot about the extra levels. :XD:
I'll try to update and fix this over the weekend. I guess I'll include a magical world along with that.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
That level mastermined was very hard, you have to be very good with the digging tools if I remember correctly. :devil:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 10:34:53 PM »
okay, I made a decision; after reviewing the issues, I'm not going to make any changes;

-as to the two extra levels; I agree with MZ's decision on removing them, I don't find them to be all that interesting or challenging in a satisfying way. The second especially with the advent of un-timed bombers.
-as to It's a Magical world, the alternative solutions don't employ any remarkable trick and look rather messy imo. I don't like levels relying on that sort of thing [which looks and feels backroutish].
I realize the solutions aren't that different from MZ's intended, but the whole point of the level was revolving around that glitch.
If some one finds a solution, or alters the level to find a more interesting solution I'll consider adding it.

Of course; if anybody else wants to compile a new version on their own and make these changes they're welcome to do so. Just ask me for the files.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:50 AM »
I'm about to embark on my playthrough of this pack anyway so what I've decided to do with agreement from others in IRC.

I'll play through the pack up to Level 16 then stop and load the Lemmix level for Magical World.
After doing that level, I will return to the Neo Lemmix pack and do Levels 16-29 then.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 03:22:29 AM »
Sorry for double post but I'm just posting to say the Mazulems playthrough is complete already taking just under 5 hours of play time.

I did drop into Lemmix to record the original Level 16 It's a Magical World during this playthrough.

Probably be split into about 10 videos and uploaded after LPII videos :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy watching them when they get uploaded to my channel!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 07:46:07 PM »
That was very quick Flopsy. :) Sorry for changing the subject but how have you been getting on with lemmings 2 tribes?

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
Currently somewhere in the middle of the Cavelems tribe which is the 4th tribe.

Got a massive backlog of videos at the moment and a slow upload speed, I can try and upload a tribes video in the next few days.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
Me thought at first that you abandoned the project. :(

No rush flopsy, I've been watching some of your highland tribe ones and noticed you made a highland level which looks very nice. I guess that was for the contest run by Namida.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 04:34:11 PM »
Here are my replays :)

I would 100% make the invisible terrain from the one crystal level visible! :devil: