Author Topic: Extended graphic sets in Lemmings  (Read 21533 times)

JM

Extended graphic sets in Lemmings
« on: June 01, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
How do you edit the extended graphics sets in Lemmings?

Re: Extended graphic sets in Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »
Well, you can open up one of the four official "special grahpics" levels in LemEdit.  LemEdit won't be able to display the terrain because that comes from the extended graphics; however, I believe it will still let you edit certain level data such as the title, skillset, release rate, etc.  Maybe even editing interactive objects and steel areas (but it'd be kinda hard doing that without being able to see the terrain).  Then save the level into your own .dat file.

From what I've seen, it seems that when you use an extended graphics set, all the terrain layout info is taken from the vgaspecX.dat file rather than in the level data, so there's pretty much no way for you to change the terrain without editing or creating your own vgaspecX.dat file.  At this point you're on your own.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:52:07 AM »
As far as I know, they 'extened graphics' sets are simply compressed planar bitmaps (not openable with Paint), so you can't really edit those graphic sets or the levels that use them.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:10:50 AM »
A little off-topic but I've done a repeat of one of the special levels in Cheapo. Can't upload it just yet though.

Patience.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:16:58 PM »
Okay, Here it is. A nasty trick is needed to pass the level within the tight time limit. Most of you probably know what it is anyway.

Attached file:
BeastIII.zip (190 KB)

JM

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 05:11:11 PM »
I've edited the objects and release rates and skills etc of the levels with the extended graphics.Download 1 of my level packs and look at A Beast of a Level strikes back and I edited the objects using the snow graphics.

JM

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:46 AM »
It would be good if you could see the terrain on an extended graphics level in Lemedit.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 02:43:01 PM »
Is there any way to find out what program was used for the extended level things?  I know that there are a lot of people on here who know all sorts of weird stuff.

As for myself I have no idea how to hex edit or anything.

It seems to me that we know more about these extended graphics now than we did about 5 months ago.  Imagine being able to create special graphics levels.....

Then again I guess that's why we have cheapo.  Still it would be cool...

(One problem might be the fact that we can no longer use actual lemmings in cheapo...oh well.)

JM

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 05:53:20 PM »
The extended graphics are cool.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 07:09:29 PM »
You know, there's not only the ones of:

- A Beast of a Level I
- A Beast of a Level II
- Menacing
- This is an AWESOME Level

There's more in Lemmings demos. There's one of PRISMA, something like this... it used the graphics of the pipes from Oh no more Lemmings. The level is green and purple and there's a huge triangle in the center. I don't remember the title. There's another one that used the Crystal graphics from Lemmings. I don't remember the title either.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 07:55:32 PM »
There's also a unique graphics level in the Sunsoft levels on the Genesis version.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »
I just found out that I have a hex editor on my computer.  I started messing around with the files on lemmings.  For tricky level 1, I got something that looked like a bunch of multicolored dots.  After the timer reached 3:08, the background became green, but it took about 3 seconds for every pixel to become green, and then everything just started changing colors!  Eventually, it started looping.  Oh, and when this happened the game stopped.  What I did was replace about the first ten characters that weren't .'s with a's in the GROUNDO0.dat file.

Is there some way to tell how changing a number will affect the file?

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 09:26:04 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1117659057/0#11 date=1119384094
After the timer reached 3:08, the background became green, but it took about 3 seconds for every pixel to become green, and then everything just started changing colors! &#A0;Eventually, it started looping. &#A0;Oh, and when this happened the game stopped.

LOL in other words, you crashed the game.  ;P

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 01:00:05 AM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1117659057/0#11 date=1119384094
What I did was replace about the first ten characters that weren't .'s with a's in the GROUNDO0.dat file.

basicly you screwed up the animations of objects in the dirt style
afaik the first 448 bytes deal with objects

JM

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 11:48:40 AM »
I used to a hex editor to mess around with the VGASPECx.dat graphics.In the BeastII of a level graphics they all became invisible in the game.The A Beast of a level graphics came out with terrain moved onto other parts of the screen.If anybody manages to edit the terrain in special graphics levels and it turns out good please send them in thanks.