Author Topic: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Play Lemming-death-sound when falling out of the map  (Read 3188 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You know the situation:
You thought you had it solved and you are missing a few Lems. 90% of the time it is because some have fallen out of the map without you noticing! :devil: (especially in large levels)
So it would be a lot more user friendly when you have some "out of the map fallers" that they at least make their little Lemming scream to inform you that prob not everything goes as planned ;)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] Play Lemming-death-sound when falling out of the map
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:10:47 PM »
Agree. This happened in Cheapo and Lemmini and I thought the lemming screaming made it very informative and helpful. I'd also make it a configuration option though, as I feel not everyone will be accustomed to the screaming.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Yeah, this happens on the genesis too. I was quite surprised when NL didn't have a sound for it and it's something I find quite helpful.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
I could add this. Unless there's suggestions otherwise, I'll probably use the sound effect from WinLemm, as that's where most of the sound effects come from.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:34:28 AM »
Unless I have the wrong version of Winlems [the version coupled with Lemmings Paintball, which was the later-updated version] no sound plays when falling off the bottom. ???
^this is true but the sound does exist in the game files, I think this is a bug of the game that it does not play in some versions, anyway, irrelevant.

I'm in favor of this and the Lemmini sound is nice enough imo.

But I still hate most of the other WINLEM sounds and find them very irritating
If I look for sound effects that would be suitable, would you consider putting them in the game? Or do most people like the current WINLEM SFX? I'm mostly talking about the select skill and assign noises. IMO, these sounds should be minimal and not stand out, I find them distracting.

Oh and one other thing: which is very related to this so I won't make another topic:
Currently when a Swimmer lands in water it makes the same sound as a lemming drowning, which can get confusing. It just so happens there is another "splash" sound in WINLEMS [which is also unused in the game]. Couldn't you use this as the sound for a swimmer entering water?

EDIT: the sound is a bit longer then normal which may or may not be a problem. If you think it is; I might be able to edit the sound if you'd like, to make it shorter
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 05:52:37 AM »
WINLEM sounds and find them very irritating

Hmm.

Dos/Adlib L1 assignment
Dos/Adlib L1 select skill in panel
>_>

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »
EDIT: the sound is a bit longer then normal which may or may not be a problem. If you think it is; I might be able to edit the sound if you'd like, to make it shorter

This would not be a problem from a coding point of view. Whether or not it is from a user point of view might have to be tested.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
That's what I was thinking; if the sound is too long; when a lot of lems go into water it could get loud and annoying.

WINLEM sounds and find them very irritating

Hmm.

Dos/Adlib L1 assignment
Dos/Adlib L1 select skill in panel
>_>

-- Simon

I do like those sounds better except maybe for the builder brick. The WINLEM builder brick sound isn't bad imo. That is something that should stand out to let you know a Lemming off screen is running out of bricks.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Another related problem - how about a different sound for disarmers? They make the exact same noise as a builder/platformer/stacker running out of bricks, which can also lead to confusion.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 11:33:37 PM »
Added a different sound for swimmers, and a sound for lemmings falling out of the level.

I haven't done anything for disarmers yet; any suggestions on what sound to use?
My Lemmings projects