Author Topic: [Genesis] Lemmings (Genesis Port) TAS (WIP)  (Read 80160 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings (Genesis Port) TAS
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2016, 11:49:40 PM »
I like the way that the lemmings just go up in that level you just did there.

Very Very sneaky but it's probably the quickest way you can do that level. :)

The fun special level, wow that is fast. :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2016, 01:26:13 AM »
Just watched the Fun compilation. Awesome stuff, it's great to see what tricks can be pulled off on the most surprising of levels. I particularly enjoyed Fun 26 and 27 :)

Good luck with the rest, and I'm looking forward to the next compilation ;)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
Thanks! :D

Tricky 3 in 1821 frames (~37s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJEta6r-nTk

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
I haven't watched it yet, but this came up in my Recommended videos today. It purports to be a TAS on the SNES version that includes all levels, unlike the previous one on YouTube that just did Mayhem as being the fastest way to get to the end of the game  :P  It might give you some ideas for route planning that transfer to the Genesis version.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »
I haven't watched it yet, but this came up in my Recommended videos today. It purports to be a TAS on the SNES version that includes all levels, unlike the previous one on YouTube that just did Mayhem as being the fastest way to get to the end of the game  :P

Nope, it's the exact same one by the same person that started on Mayhem.  To be fair, it was stated the reasoning behind doing it that way was because the game lets you start on Mayhem without using passcodes (and let's be honest, probably also because it'd be super-tedious to do the whole game for real, especially since SNES contain a lot more of the non-port-unique builder-heavy levels).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2016, 08:38:37 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry :-[ It did say "all levels" in the video title, but I should have realised that was the case from the video length...

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »
Took a break from this, but now I'll probably be coming back to it.

So here's Tricky 4 in 2935F (~59s):
https://youtu.be/A3s1fGAMNEc

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Over a year later (sorry) and a new solution. I had several crashes whilst doing tricky 5, one of my least favourite levels, which demotivated me, and I'm skipping it for now.

Tricky 6 in 1545F (~31s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW4kS9dOpGk

One interesting thing I don't think I noticed yet is that when you stop a basher tunnel to make a step, there's an extra pixel on the ceiling

This can be used to make an incredibly simple holding area that can be walked into which doesn't require a blocker.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:05:05 PM by Gronkling »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »
Haha, love it. Excellent application in the level, looks like magic. Looking forward to more!

Skip finnicky levels until the end. I hope you can easily stitch together multiple movie files into a full TAS, even if you didn't record them one after another.

-- Simon

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
I'm going to go back to Tricky 5 in a few levels time, leaving until the end would give a huge lump of unfun levels instead of scattered about, and I'd just end up never doing them.

The files can be stitched together relatively easily, I already did it with the full fun ranking video.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »
Tricky 7 in 2018 frames (~40s)
https://youtu.be/xhytpD2EmuE

There's basically no time to do anything meaningful in this level due to having to assign all the floaters and climbers at the start. Trying to put a small step on the wall that must be climbed doesn't seem possible as I haven't been able to change the digger once it starts due to all the lemmings walking in front. Extending the small platform to reduce the fall distance adds more lag frames, it is at the optimal height.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
Skill music. 8-) The RR adjustment and floater spamming forces the strange intervals between for the waypavers. I see how there is no choice here.

At the ledge, you build immediately. My hunch would have been to mine/dig into the ledge with the leader, then build after the first swing made a dent. Maybe a small dent wouldn't have made a difference for the last exiter anyway? Fall distance costs time only for every 3rd pixel.

-- Simon
TAS with copy-paste is cheating >_>;;

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
the timing on the bridge across the gap near the end is already incredibly tight, adding a bit of mining/digging at the beginning makes it virtually impossibly tight especially without adding lag frames

E: Tricky 7 2018F -> 1937F (-81F, ~1.62s)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:18:06 AM by Gronkling »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »
Good job discovering that extra pixel left by basher with Tricky 6. :thumbsup: I guess normally that pixel gets taken out immediately by subsequent frames of the bash stroke, so it's not noticeable unless you specifically stop the basher on that frame.  And even then, it also has to have bashed far enough into wall, which often tends not to be the case when you're trying to set up sliding against a wall.

Unfortunately I have no chance of contributing to this effort in any way nowadays (probably not even updating any emulator scripts like I might've mentioned on past postings) from lack of time, but will be cheering you on as you progress through the levels. ;)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
Nice to see some more progress on this! :)