Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning multiple skills to one lemming?  (Read 40984 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
EDIT: 7-1 – 94/100 confirmed*
7-4 – 24/25 (easy)  ---- I tried briefly for 100% but I doubt it's possible. There's not enough builders to build up to the ceiling (I think).

*(this method probably doesn’t save the most but it’s more fun than building straight up).
-set RR to 1
-build over first gap. 1 lem will die.
-the first builder has to die, so make the second one a blocker on the middle platform upside down
-set RR to 99. Wait until ~95 lemmings are out then set it around 20 to isolate the last few.
-make the last lemming out dig the steps away on the first gap; this takes care of the weasels.
-Make the second to last lemming bash when upside down on the steps going toward the balloon so that the last lemming will turn around. The basher will come out on the other side and be fine.
-let the very first lemming (who is near the balloon) fall off the wooden panels but block all the rest of the lemmings there near the balloon.
-that very first lemming should walk to a point past the gravity pad below then dig.
-the upside down worker (one that just turned around up top) builds over the pit. He’ll go on to flip the gate to drain the pool.
-the lemming digging will come out. You need to time it so he doesn’t come out too soon or he’ll drown. He’ll fall in the empty pool and flip that gate to free the way to the balloon.

the picture below shows the idea, however that take wasn't successful because I made some mistakes (if you notice the numbers)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
^^It's 94/100 actually. I edited that already. I explain it here:

Instead of having the last lemming dig through the steps, make him build over the gravity pad. He’ll drown but this will let the weasels flip the gate in the pool. The timing is tricky though, you have to make sure the worker (who is near the end of the line of lemmings) gets to the gate to empty the pool before the weasels get there. Usually the first weasel drowns but the second can make it.

Also: 8-8 Take her up to warp speed Captain is 23/25.

It’s pretty simple; just use extra skills to stall lemmings behind the workers. Two lemmings must sacrifice to close the doors.

-Going the back route way would kill more lemmings as it takes more than 2 or 3 builders to get to the balloon under the steel.

8-7 Watch Out Evil About! 47/50

*see picture.

8-9 Bridges 49/50*
mine through acid glitch.

This one was neat.
-turn the RR on the green lemmings up to 90ish
-make 2nd green lemming blocker and the third that turns around builder, to save the normal lemmings. Only 1 normal lemming should fall and die.
-Meanwhile have the first green lemming mine through the acid to get to the switch
-A normal lemming should walk out in front of the builder before he finishes. Make this lemming a blocker near the lava.
-set RR to 99. After the green lemming gets to the switch, make a normal lemming a bomber at the base of the steps. His crater will be created near the blocker on the left and should free him.
--------
I tried to save more by bashing out the green blocker but it seems impossible. One step too high; you can free him but the green lemmings on the other side can’t get back up. Too low and you can’t free the blocker and the basher will stop and turn around.

I found that a lot of the levels from the single lemming challenge don’t work here and ones that didn’t; do work here. Not all the time though.
This challenge is also ‘challenging’ because it’s easy to forget and assign more than 1 skill to a lemming.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
9-6 High Dive - 33/40

The solution is similar to The undamaged solution. I actually forget it right now and need to go back and see it again for myself

12-7 Long and Winding Road - 14/20

These two are simple levels and could probably be improved. I’ll come up with the pics and explanations later, I had these written on my computer for a while and wanted to get them off.

this one I just did:

11-5 Something Fishy

49/50 (minimum)

It’s all pretty straightforward until the end. When bashing toward the exit, dig into the steel so as to compact all the lemmings so they can easily make it through the door which the basher triggers. He (the basher) can’t escape the area where the switch is so he’s the one you lose.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Bumping this particular thread because I have a question to ask:

Now that namida's recently made a new NeoLemmix gimmick called "One Skill", should we create a new challenge thread for it or should we stick it to this thread? I understand there are different mechanics to NeoLemmix (And by the fact that he's changed versions to Amiga too, rather than DOS). Without those glitches there may be some of these levels may be impossible, but I don't know which levels absolutely require glitch solutions to be solvable.

As for the question, I'd rather create a separate thread, possibly something like "NeoLemmix Gimmick Challenges" so that I can fit all of these gimmick solutions into one thread, if that's fine with everyone.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic about the idea -- interest in challenges has largely died out as most of them have been completed, and I especially doubt you'll be able to generate interest in "the same challenge again but for NeoLemmix". However, if you have any interesting results to report on the original levels that are different from DOS results, please post them in this thread, though I won't add them to the original post.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
That seems kinda weird to make a challenge for fan made levels, since namida is right here in this forum and can edit the levels at any time.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I would say at least wait until the levels have been finalised. Doing them for LPII Bonus pack or Covox is probably fine. But yeah, there's not an overly huge interest in challenges, and 95% of gimmick attempts are either extremely easy or obviously impossible, though there is the odd interesting one, so I don't think a topic is worth it.

It should also be noted that there's a slight difference between this topic and the One Skill gimmick (even though said gimmick was quite obviously inspired by this topic); if you were to try to select the same lemming twice in this challenge, you'd end up with an attempt that fails the challenge (or if you used ccexplore's patched version, you wouldn't be able to select it a second time), whereas the gimmick would ignore the already-selected lemming and assign the skill to the next lemming in the priority order.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I would say at least wait until the levels have been finalised. Doing them for LPII Bonus pack or Covox is probably fine. But yeah, there's not an overly huge interest in challenges, and 95% of gimmick attempts are either extremely easy or obviously impossible, though there is the odd interesting one, so I don't think a topic is worth it.

That's OK. I'm actually keeping my own sets of results on Notepad for this gimmick (along with the others) anyway. You raised a very good point about most levels being obviously easy/impossible depending on gimmick. That must be one reason why I whizz through most of those levels.

Anyway, to try and avoid this going too far off topic, I've found that Tricky 20 is impossible with NeoLemmix (The basher isn't low enough to bash under the OWW unlike DOS). I'll see if I can find any others.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Lemmings Revolution:

Iron Curtain

[requirement is 20/30]
Don't know why I passed on this one before; it's pretty simple. [see picture]
Set RR to 1 and dig near the beginning so they can fall left onto the water (water lemmings can fall onto water safley from any height). You should only need one blocker. Use all builders to get up to the large structure.  Use bashers to stall lemmings if you need to because while building some may fall to death.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
8-10 Walk The Plank or Join the Crew --
[impossible but should not be; because the game is stupid and has a glitch where building in a place that was once bashed through makes the builders steps vanish I had to cheat. If it wasn't for this annoying glitch it would be totally possible. See the "Glitches in other Lemmings Games" thread for more about this glitch. Duh--the solution to this problem is obvious, see below. :XD:

Basically, the part that took me a while to figure out was you can bomb through the one way-wall.
-Set both RR to 1 You can completely ignore the top lemmings.
-On the bottom, make a blocker to trap them in. Then use bombers to get through the wall. Build over the lava.
-At some point, have a builder seal the gap you made with bombers so 1 climber can get up and flip the laser to turn on the speed up pad. Mine through the steps to let them through again.
-As soon or shortly after the speed up pad is activated you must turn the RR (the bottom hatch) to 99. This is because whenever the weasel is released by the lemmings on top, he'll quickly trap the bottom lemmings in if they don't make it past the door there [right next to the one way wall].
-On the other side of the lava, make 1 bash at the steps to remove the top layer of terrain away underneath the teleporter. Block underneath your steps before the lava.
-because of the glitch you must place a blocker to the left of the teleporter (after the basher has cleared away the terrain) and wait for the basher to finish and fall off. Then you may build right into the left side of the teleporter*
-The rest is pretty easy-build/bash to the exit.

You may be able to save more by blocking up top but blocking around the speed up pad is tricky. A "speed up" lemming that enters a speed up pad will get slowed down again.

*you must go in this side. If you go in the right side they'll be dropped to their death.

in the screen shot I didn't think of the blocker/waiting until the bahser was finished so I had killed the basher. I also cheated and used blockers to bomb through the wall but time bombing is obviously possible, so this level is totally do-able, glitches and all!

9-8 Gravity's Pull

You only need to save the middle lemmings that are above the balloon. I'm sure there are numerous ways. My approach was basically a brute force method. You don't have to worry about letting any of the side lemmings die. Some keys things are:

-activate the bottom lasers first; these open the top doors.
-After that build over the gravity pad, have others dig through the builders steps so they miss the gravity pad but hit the ledge and don't fall to death. More than 1 lem must enter the teleporters there [one still needs to use one skill after going through the teleporter].
-On top, when they come out of the teleporters; wait till 1 turns around then dig so he'll hit the gravity pad up there; he'll eventually flip the switches.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
10-6 Going in All directions

-set RR to 80; after 1 lem comes out set RR to 1.
-Make the first build over the first gap, the second should fall and flip the switch before dying. [you should lose no more on the first gap]
-The next falldown the the lower platform, flips that switch and start building on the water as seen in the pic.
-put blockers where I have them. THen just keep building up to the thin platform. You can loose up to six.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
9-9 It's a Hard Life

-at the small group near the balloon, block then mine left.
-while the miners still going, get 1 lemming that turns around to mine right somewhere beneath the stone. There are two usable lemmings left from this group, you need both.
EDIT: turns out this isn't necessary; building right up into the (1) miner's tunnel only takes 2 builders.
So; you can simply mine left and that will leave 3 lemmings left to work from that group. This would also save more lemmings and builders since you don't have to block later.

-use those two to build twice at the shaft for the other lemmings, you have to be pretty exact, build so that the first hits his head or barely misses. The fall there should be barely survivable.
-free the big group using a digger
- when they get back to the miners tunnel (see pic) build up to it then block and build toward the balloon.
[I did it this way because the resulting hole the LEFT facing miner makes here is very hard to build into to.
-build over the blocker.

10-7 Rocket Science

Pretty simple.
-bash through the thing thing, then block to separate two on the left.
-one bashes, the other builds. Get them all out of the bottom area and into the empty tank before the weasels come to close the door.
-build up above the steel, bash or mine to the exit.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
10-10 Reduce and simmer
[saves minimum 16/20]

a little trickier then it appears. I haven't found a way to save more. (or keep the RR at 99)
-set RR to 1, block under the right most wooden platform so the weasel misses them. Let 1 turn around and make him a blocker somewhere to the left. The switch doesn't matter.
-have the second build over the blocker, the next lemmign should get turned around by the blocker. Only one lemming should go past the blocker and die; the first builder. The next builds and connects with the terrain.
-build left and make another a blocker somewhere there, build finally to the balloon.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
11-3 Bash Street Kids

screen cap indicates all the important parts. Not super challenging; but a lot of precise time bombing. This saves exactly enough!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

my last post was in 2014! Indeed last post of any kind in this topic! Feels good to get back to it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[not solved] 12-3 All-in comes so close. Only one spot where my solution requires a lemming to use two skills, I can't atm see a way to get any other non-workers over on that side to bash this pillar or to somehow turn the other around without building or assigning any skills.

-Hakuin Ekaku