Poll

Is ditching the L1-like screen okay?

Yes, sure
4 (50%)
Hybridize it - keep some of the most common options on an L1-like screen, then have a popup window for the less-common ones
4 (50%)
No, keep it L1-like
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Config menu - is it okay to not use a L1-like screen?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Config menu - is it okay to not use a L1-like screen?
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »
I'm thinking - with more and more things potentially being added to the configuration menu (and more choices for existing options), using an L1-like screen is getting very cluttered.

How much of a problem would people see it if instead, it popped up a more Windows-like dialog box? (Similar to what the hotkey config already does)

EDIT: Also, another question. If moving to a universal player, rather than one EXE per game, then obviously any globally-relevant options should be kept in a seperate file, like how the hotkey config currently is. With this in mind - should these options share a file with the hotkeys, or have their own seperate file? Made a decision on this one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:17:18 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Config menu - is it okay to not use a L1-like screen?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 01:03:19 PM »
Have you considered a mixed approach: The 10 most important options in classical L1 style and then advanced options in Windows-style?

RE Edit: The question should be: What do players wish to change for each level pack seperately and what options are constant overall? Then every option that affects the game globally can go with the hotkeys.
To avoid confusion for players one could even make the arguments, that one should only have options affecting the game globally.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
I think you misunderstood the question. I was meaning - for options that are global, shoudl they be stored in the same file as hotkey configuration, or should there be two seperate files - one for hotkeys, one for other gloabl settings?

The reason I ask this is because people may wish to share hotkey files (for example, the hotkey file that's already available to give a Lix-like rather than NeoLemmix-like hotkey set), and it's simpler to do so if they're kept seperate from other options.

In regards to keeping common options on a basic screen and a dialog for advanced options - I hadn't considered this, this could be a good idea.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
The reason I ask this is because people may wish to share hotkey files (for example, the hotkey file that's already available to give a Lix-like rather than NeoLemmix-like hotkey set), and it's simpler to do so if they're kept seperate from other options.
Now I understand and have no preference at all regarding this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
Okay, I'm gonna go with seperate file on this for one main reason - it's a lot easier to implement. :P

I reset the poll, and added an option for Nepster's hybrid suggestion.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 12:50:20 PM »
<namida42> so now the question would be, which options are frequently-used enough to put onto the main config screen, if the hybrid method is used?
<namida42> although i'm not entirely sure how keen i am on that method, the more I think about it
<SimonN> if you want to get the release out of the door, put all options into a Windows form
<SimonN> progressive disclosure is good though, hide advanced rubbish, or make tabs
<SimonN> the option to not be bothered by options is the most important option :>
<SimonN> the L1 screen has low usability anyway, no way to annotate options, no mouse, etc
<SimonN> ditch it and use a proper Windows dialog; that's exactly what Delphi is good at

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »
I decided to go with the route of a complete switch to a dialog-based config menu. Currently, it doesn't have any options that the previous one didn't (except for seperating Sound and Music options altogether; which also allows turning sound off while leaving music on). If you want to try it out, grab the latest experimental release.

Note: The defaulting to the "Game Options" tab (which is useless in a lot of cases, since most games would generally have the debug options disabled) is a known issue; I've already fixed it for any future releases.
My Lemmings projects