Author Topic: Christmas pallet not showing up in Lemmain  (Read 8416 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Christmas pallet not showing up in Lemmain
« on: December 24, 2015, 05:55:49 AM »
When i finally put all the levels together
i have decided to try to put it together into flexilemmix
i changed the pallet, but the lemmings nor the menus did not change
my second attempt i also extracted the xmas pallet
and it turned into a glitchy mess (This time i kept backups)
This topic may move, im not sure thought

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Christmas pallet not showing up in Lemmain
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:06:42 PM »
I replied to your PM with instructions.

For anyone else reading who has the same issue - with NeoLemmix MAIN.DAT files, the "Xmas Palette" option does nothing - it's only there for regular Lemmix (or DOS) MAIN.DAT files, which use a restricted palette rather than (almost) full color support.

The way to get Xmas themed graphics therefore is to extract them from a MAIN.DAT that already has them, for example, Holiday Lemmings 94.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 04:12:36 AM »
Im goting to be honest, I hate (And i mean HATE) working with lemmain sometimes
because im trying to is get this (Image is example)

But what do i get?
T̷͎̩̩̭͕̺̯̍̀͑̽̐Ḣ̡̱̪̟̝͋̎̿͛̕Ì̻͙̣̔S̬̠̟͕͎̐ͯ̿́ͯ!̛̰̞̪̪̱ͧ͊̏̃̈́͗ͥͫ
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline WYSIWYG23

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »
What is lemmain? Is there a way to edit MAIN.DAT files? Even for DOS lemmings too? ??? (lol)
Hunt the Nessie  :3

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 04:32:07 AM »
Well...its mainly for neolemmix based editing, as in for making you own .exes for level packs
Something if you screw up in a certain territory, unless you have help (hurry namida :( ) you are F***ED

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
As with every other time you've had this problem, it's because you've either exported or imported with the wrong settings.

Assuming you're using a recent version of NeoLemmix (V1.29n+), use the "V1.29n+" option when importing. When extracting, use the option that's correct for the MAIN.DAT file in question; this will usually be the V1.29n+ one (and will certianly be that if you used the MAIN.DAT I told you to) - and if the error was on the extract side, you would've noticed when trying to edit the images. Yes, LemMain is a bit of a pain in the ass, but at this point there's little reason to replace it.

What is lemmain? Is there a way to edit MAIN.DAT files? Even for DOS lemmings too? ??? (lol)

LemMain does work with DOS lemmings, but the compression algorithm isn't very good which more often than not leads to glitches when using the rebuilt MAIN.DAT with DOS Lemmings (it works fine in Lemmix). Use the "Four-Rank Traditional" (or in the case of ONML, "Five-Rank Traditional") option, and after rebuilding it, you'll need to use some other tool (such as Mindless's DAT Tools) to extract and recompress the generated MAIN.DAT file.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
As I see this fucked up picture:
GigaLem, did you save your logo as a 24-bit map?
I ask, because when you made my Reunion logo you gave me an 8-bit map which resulted in an comparable mess.
You can simply change it to an 24-bit map by choosing the "save as" option in an editor program an selecting the 24-bit save option.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
Yes its a 24-bit bitmap, luckily this issue was resolved when i put the .exe together via Flexitoolkit
however the main problems that i sent a file to namida about
the messages wont show up
and two tile sets wont load despite being in there (clockwork and xmas)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
Side Topic: About how tile sets refuse to load in flexilemmix
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:03:52 AM »
While im still on the topic for my late holiday(s) pack
i tried changing the name and putting into a new .exe
yes im using flexi tool
here is the result below

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
So far, I have been unable to reproduce any of the problems you report, even after you sent me your project source files. I tried running the exact EXE you sent me, and it worked fine - no need to even so much as rebuild your source files. This reminds me of the case with Resident GigaLems, where you said there was a problem with the EXE and sent me the supposedly faulty EXE, I had no problem when I ran it, so I sent the exact same EXE back, asked you if it worked, and you said it worked fine. The exact same EXE you sent me that you said was not working. And that's exactly what happened this time too. Either you're running the wrong EXE, or there's something very unusual about your computer that causes the problem's presence or absence to be based on whether or not you've sent the file to me and I've sent it back.

If you're definitely not doing anything wrong, the only remaining suggestion I can make is to try building your EXE on another computer, since your computer seems to be the only one with this problem. You should be able to do this on any Windows computer (as long as it's Windows 2000 or higher; building an EXE doesn't work on earlier versions than that. It should work on a Linux PC that has WINE installed), and you do not need administrator rights.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
If you're definitely not doing anything wrong, the only remaining suggestion I can make is to try building your EXE on another computer, since your computer seems to be the only one with this problem. You should be able to do this on any Windows computer (as long as it's Windows 2000 or higher; building an EXE doesn't work on earlier versions than that. It should work on a Linux PC that has WINE installed), and you do not need administrator rights.

Like i said this is the only working pc i have access to, i have no access to any other pc as of right now, and of course the one i had is in storage, im not sure if it still works since the last time used it was 4 years ago, if i cant make a working exe where i have no problems with the tilesets or message, i might as well shaft the projects i've been working since i cant get them released for the life of me, programs like flexi tool and lemmain, THEY HATE MY GUTS

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:03 AM »
When the produced binaries give division by zero, it's probably a bug in the host game, or in the toolchain. The toolchain takes content and bundles it together. Whatever is missing should be identifiable at that time.

I have no idea whether Giga's problem reports are detailed enough for namida to understand. They look vague to me. Without a brutally detailed description of what's been done, this sounds impossible to reproduce -- an obscure bug in the host game that nobody else has had in years, throwing a bland error message that contains no stack trace or anything.

I have no idea what has been sent via PM. Apparently, 80 percent of the problem reporting happens via PM.

you said there was a problem with the EXE and sent me the supposedly faulty EXE, I had no problem when I ran it, so I sent the exact same EXE back, asked you if it worked, and you said it worked fine.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 01:24:30 AM »
Wonder if there's some way to make the error message better, like including the source filename or line number of the code where the error originated from.  Not sure if doable in Delphi.

Perhaps GigaLem can try sending a PM to himself with his EXE as attachment, then download the PM attachment and see if that fixes his problems. :-\

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
Wonder if there's some way to make the error message better, like including the source filename or line number of the code where the error originated from.  Not sure if doable in Delphi.

Perhaps GigaLem can try sending a PM to himself with his EXE as attachment, then download the PM attachment and see if that fixes his problems. :-\

His 100MB EXEs due to consistently disregarding my advice to build low-quality musics into the EXE and use a seperate music pack would prevent this from being doable, due to the 16MB size limit. But perhaps he could try putting them in Dropbox (or similar) then downloading via the web link.
My Lemmings projects