Author Topic: Lemmings/cloner counting -> own thread  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Lemmings/cloner counting -> own thread
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:59:24 AM »
Hi folks,

the NL bug thread has grown a very exciting discussion about counting lemmings, cloners, zombies, ..., at the preview screen, and during the game. The sparking issue was the information shown in the ingame panel.

I value this discussion really much, and feel that it will be important in the upcoming months to refer to it. Especially (what to show during the game panel) can be directly useful for designing Lix. These discussions deserve their own thread, or maybe two, since it's two closely related issues.

Unfortunately, by nature of the dump-all-bugs-here thread, it both buries other bug reports, and will be buried itself by new reports. The discussion has interruptions, is hard to link, and to get it all, you have to sift through off-discussion-topic posts in the same thread.

I conceive three possible solutions here:
  • namida says that putting all bugs in one topic, burying each other, is a good idea.
  • Some moderator refactors the thread, picking exactly what is relevant to the ingame panel info,  and cloner/lemming/zombie counting, moving them to 1 or 2 new threads.
  • I become mod and will then do it myself.
-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings/cloner counting -> own thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:44:06 AM »
I have split off the NL bug thread a couple of recently-reported bugs and discussions.

(Rant about the mod UI: If a hairy gumball thread is > 50 posts long, the select-what-posts-to-move page will only offer the most recent 50 or so for movement. WTF, splitting long topics is a one-time operation, I don't care if performance is slightly lower. What kind of joker thought that displaying only 50 is enough. If performance is a concern, don't write everything in PHP. -- Can't move anything to a different board apparently. Can't merge topics. Nothing of this rant needs fixing, I got done what I wanted. To split off posts not shown by the UI, edit the Javascript to point to the correct post, dump into browser's URL bar, hit Enter.)

namida: Would you like to continue with the policy "If you know of any bugs, or have any suggestions, for the NeoLemmix Player make them in this topic."? The topic will accumulate lots of barnacles again, then, needing occasional picking.

People seem reluctant to report minor issues in new threads. Do you want them to report minor issues? Even if they won't get fixed for now, making them public is nice for other users.

Can you estimate when NL2 could replace the NL1 game + editor + tooling?

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:22:13 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 01:02:58 AM »
imo; minor issues should be put in a mass "big" thread. While bigger issues can have their own.
If a minor issue becomes big [by lots of people giving different opinions on it] a mod can separate it to it's own thread.

Maybe make a subforum for bugs/issues/suggestions?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:10:41 AM »
A subforum for issue tracking is a good, clean idea. Then people should make lots of small threads, even for small issues. The board view is the bug list then, and need not be maintained separately.

(The standard solution in software development is a standalone bugtracker. I'm reluctant to suggest that though. For NeoLemmix, I believe almost all users are also Lemmingsforums users. A sub-board will be easier to post to for Neolemmix users than any bugtracker on an external site.)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:16:18 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »
That does sound like a good idea. Do you want one for the Lix board too?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
I wonder could this also apply to say
Ghosts and Zombies?
like if such a thing we're to exist
On the level properties
and option for how many ghosts and zombies
and they'll be available to change if the ether gimmick was on

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
This topic, on the Site Discussion board, is in relation to how these topics / etc are handled, not the issues themself. Please pay more attention to where you're posting and what the posts you're replying to say.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »
Do you want one for the Lix board too?

No. Thanks for the offer still. :-)

I track issues for current Lix on the self-made forum and issues for the D port on github. Occasionally, outsiders find the project on github, and several LF users already have accounts there.

-- Simon