Author Topic: 2.00 Summary of design decisions so far  (Read 4470 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
2.00 Summary of design decisions so far
« on: September 17, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »
With this sub-forum getting larger and larger, I think it's about time to have a single post briefly listing everything that's been discussed; both for easy reference for anyone who's interested, and for me myself to easily keep track of things in one place. So... yeah, here it is. :) To keep this organised, I'll post the lists / etc in replies sorted by category.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: 2.00 Summary of design decisions so far
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:54:19 PM »
Finalized decisions
These decisions are very unlikely to be changed, and as such, the topics have generally been closed (unless they relate to multiple matters instead of just one, and as such are remaining open for the discussion of these other matters).

Core Design
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will have a single Player app that loads data files for various content, and a seperate editor app. (Topic)
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will not be developed as a cross-platform app. (Topic)
- NeoLemmix V2.xxn (not the initial release) will have an online database accessible directly from the game / editor for content. (Topic)
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will not offer means of limiting access to custom content. (Topic)

Display
- Display at 2x resolution will be supported. Higher resolutions may be supported in the future. (Topic)
- Alpha blending will be supported.

Sound
- Volume of sound and music will be adjustable (independantly of each other). (Suggested in this post)

Physics
- Physics will mostly be kept as close as possible to those of NeoLemmix 1, while making any nessecary bugfixes / tweaks. (Topic)
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will continue to base physics off a 1x (320x160) resolution; support will exist for display in higher resolutions. (Topic)
- The "Timed Bombers" and "Disable Direct Drop" options will no longer be present; bombers/stoners will always be untimed (except as a result of radiation/slowfreeze objects), while direct drop will always be disabled. Some minor details relating to these are still being discussed. (Topic)
- Trigger areas for objects may be of arbitrary shapes / sizes. (Topic)

Interface
- Gamepads are not going to be supported. (Topic)

Misc
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will not add extra types of talismans, but will maintain the existing ones. (Topic)
- The scoring system will be dropped; but more-detailed statistics will be viewable on the postview screen (or a subscreen thereof). The topic is still open for discussion of what statistics should be included. (Topic)
- NeoLemmix V2.00n will be open source; but most likely fancy stuff like Git will not be used; the source code will simply be available as a zip file or something like that. (Topic)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:28:34 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:55:55 PM »
Semi-finalized decisions
This means that the decision is mostly final, but could change if very convincing arguments are made or the majority opinion appears to have shifted.

None at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:56:26 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:23 PM »
Open discussions

Naming
- Should the name "NeoLemmix" be dropped in favor of something else? (Topic)

Physics
- What should be done in regards to graphic sets that were designed around direct drop being possible? (Topic)
- Details relating to potential physics changes can be discussed here: (Topic)
--- Currently-discussed matters: Should blocker fields and/or zombie fields have a larger / differently-applied area? Should the "one frame skip trap" bug be fixed? Should blockers' immunity to most objects be removed?

Graphics
- Details relating to graphic sets can be discussed here: (Topic)
- Details relating to the implementation of one-way arrows can be discussed here: (Topic)

Music
- Details relating to music can be discussed here: (Topic)

Menus
- Details relating to the outside-of-gameplay menus can be discussed here: (Topic)

Interface
- Details relating to the skill panel can be discussed here: (Topic)
- Details relating to hotkey support / implementation can be discussed here: (Topic)
- Details relating to hint support can be discussed here: (Topic)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:00:32 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:09:21 AM »
Suggestions

Display
- Markers (or some other method) of identifying the skills pre-assigned to lemmings, especially in the case of trapdoors (Topic)
My Lemmings projects