Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Reunion [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]  (Read 69106 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Reunion [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2020, 07:21:46 AM »
V 4.3 is out!

Levels fixed:

- 5 09 (added a steel block, the bombers are now pick-ups)

but it seems this level just can't be fixed.

I think you don't fully understand yet how I fix levels and that no level will be simply left behind because of a few backroutes. Even when I 100% cannot enforce the intended solution it will just be adapted and a new solution is made the intended one. Even when it takes quite a few versions. A level won't be forsaken just because of backroutes.

In any case the posted backroute can easily be fixed through a steel block as it is dependend on a digger hole in the ground and the intended solution is not. On top of that to secure the usage of the right side, I just made the bombers a pick-up skill and put them there. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
Suggested fix for Lemmings Reunion HeyNotTooRough level 9 Drunk Lemmings on their way Home.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:05:59 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2020, 08:38:47 AM »
V 4.4 is out!

Levels fixed:

- 2 09 (-1 builder, some terrain changes)

Let's say the level has a different problem as I noticed. If you position the skills nicely a sixth builder is totally not nessesary here and the placement is not even very unobvious or precise if you get the main trick. So no need for pick-ups here. Also, if you change up the barrier before the final water pit as I did now it fixes it as well. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »
ok, here is my solution to Version 4.4. to Drunk lemmings on the way home
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
That's intended. :thumbsup:

It's slightly more precise than before, but not too much in my opinion. It's just that this is straight up an improved version of the old trick.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2020, 04:27:38 AM »
Ok, I've tried the 12.10 with lemmings reunion. Why are the replays in 12.10 not working.  When I do mass replay check with 12.10 alot say level not found. Also when I load a replay it says replay
is not for the level, and when I start it anyway the replays break. I think so far I will stay with 12.94

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2020, 04:43:00 AM »
Strange. Everything works fine for me, replays and all. Whose replays are you using? Did you upgrade from 12.9.4 or from a 12.10 RC build?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2020, 05:22:07 AM »
no I didn't upgrade, I did a fresh install of 12.10 and just copied the levels, music, styles, and replays folder of reunion into the new player, for some reason the mass replays checks don't work and when I start a level in 12.10 many say the replay is not for the level, and even when I start the replay anyways, they break. I don't know what's happening.

all but level 22 in the first rank were good, all the 2nd rank were good, but almost every level in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rank said level not found (with mass replay check), and even when I try to replay the levels, they say replay is not for the level, so then I try to replay it anyways and they break.

and even when I saw your reply, I did a fresh install again, and the same thing happens. I will be testing other packs with 12.10 to see if those replays work, hopefully they do otherwise then I will just stay with 12.94 even though I like the new features of 12.10

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
Interesting. I can't think of anything as to why they wouldn't work. It just might be something on your end. I checked all of my replays and other people's replays for all other packs I have finished and they all work just fine for me.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
V 4.5 is out!

Naming format of the rank signs adjusted. For updating please delete the old version of the pack.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2020, 06:39:16 PM »
I finally dug into this pack! :thumbsup:

I've completed the first two ranks so far, and I had quite a lot of fun. The difficulty is already really high, which I expected, and some rank 2 levels made my brain itch a bit.
I attached all the replays, not sure if it's still useful? Well rank 1 replays are probably useless but they're included anyway :laugh: None of my solutions seem like obvious backoutes, but I sometimes had some skills lefts.

The levels I liked the most:
1-26 Tomb of Ramses II - Lots of multitasking, lots of fun!
1-29 Roofjumpers - This is a great puzzle for a first rank
1-17 Wheel of Fortune - Wheel of misfortune for a few poor lemmings :XD: It's a very well-thought level, not too complicated but needs some thinking and coordination.
1-22 Rock and Metal - Excellent level, very satisfying to solve. It gave me strong Dodochacalo vibes in the way it's crafted to make the solution unfold.

2-12 On a crystal clear night would have been another favorite if it was more packed, and I'm mentionning this to transition to my only real criticism:

So many huge levels! :XD:
It's a matter of personal taste, but huge levels often demotivate me. I think I would have liked some levels more if their layout was more compact - which doesn't mean everything has to be cramped. On the other hand your levels look really nice and big layouts make them more engaging to the eye I guess.
In this regard some levels were just not fun for me, like Maschendrahtzaun where the solution is very straightforward but the execution takes ages.
As I said it's only a matter of personal taste, and it wasn't too frustrating anyway. :laugh:

I'm eager to play the next ranks! I know I will suffer but I'm ready for it :cute:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 10:07:08 PM by Pieuw »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2020, 07:17:16 PM »
hi, Pieuw, Yes I really like Icho's Lemmings reunion. Lots of good puzzles. Also I've converted his pack to Superlemmini since it started off in Lemmini. Although I had to do some editing to some levels due to Climber issues in Superlemmini(Ie: climbers climb past 3 builder walls so a few levels I had to add 1 builder. Also climbers climb 1 pixel pieces of terrain in SL, unlike NL)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2020, 08:52:40 PM »
I'm eager to play the next ranks! I know I will suffer but I'm ready for it :cute:

That's the spirit, Pieuw! :thumbsup: I love it when others are determined and persevere through level packs, because that is certainly what will help one to get far in a pack. Reunion is such a great pack and is very highly regarded. As you have noted, it gets difficult much faster than the original Lemmings. It does have a nice difficulty curve throughout. I know you can do it! :thumbsup: Just so you know, Reunion was my third custom pack I played and solved on Lemmini back in 2017, right after I solved all of your Pimolems the same year (2017 was when I came back and got myself unstuck on Hurricane 3, so it was a 2-3 year break I took). Took me 3 months to solve the pack, mostly due to how I was working a job at the time and so I had very limited time each day to play. The level in the pack that I was stuck on the longest was Nightmare 16 - Another Brick in the Wall. This one took me about 2-3 weeks. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is one of Icho's Reunion levels that Icho added to the Special rank of your Pimolems. 

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2020, 09:22:56 PM »
Thanks for the replays, Pieuw! :thumbsup:    Will look through them soon. :)

So many huge levels!

I was and am still a fan of larger levels you have to work yourself through - if they are well made. Like not with hundreds of skills or too much spamming.

My levels grew a bit smaller over time though. The main thing responsible for many large levels back then: Lemmini!

Back when creating Reunion I still used quite a lot of "dead space" as the size was always 1600x160 and I wanted to fill that out with at least some decoration. :)

I just did not like all that empty space. ;P

I would recommed comparing the first rank of United or just the new NeoLemmix Intro Pack with Reunion and you will see my development over time. I still have large levels, especially in later ranks, but way less, usually less extreme and less dead space.

My philosophy now: Only use as much space as needed with maybe a bit extra for decoration, but don't shy away from making the level larger to fulfill your needs.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:40 PM »
My philosophy now: Only use as much space as needed with maybe a bit extra for decoration, but don't shy away from making the level larger to fulfill your needs.
Definitely! :thumbsup:

I just want to clarify: when I say huge levels, I mean levels where lemmings have to progress along/through huge portions of terrain. If a level is huge but is mostly made of decoration, it's totally different! When the preview screen appears and I see a layout that takes all the space with a trapdoor on the left and the exit on the far right, this is what makes me feel like a bomber ready to explode. Oh noes! :XD:

I love it when others are determined and persevere through level packs, because that is certainly what will help one to get far in a pack.
Determination is the key, but the true motivation for me is in this place. I often wander far away from LemmingsLand but coming back to the forums often makes me want to dive into it again. It's inspiring to see that the community is still very active today! Lots of good vibes in here, which motivates me to play and create levels, even after months/years of inactivity :thumbsup:

The level in the pack that I was stuck on the longest was Nightmare 16 - Another Brick in the Wall. This one took me about 2-3 weeks.
This bodes well for my sanity :crylaugh: