Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #5  (Read 7672 times)

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Level Design Contest #5
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:29:15 AM »
So, time for a new contest!

Let's start with the general rules. Again, there's been some slight changes, specifically relating to how updated versions of the levels are handled. Apart from this, they're the same as before. To be precise - during the playing phase, until the "update deadline", you may post updated versions of your levels as often as you like. Initial submissions (during the creation phase) are still via PM. No new levels may be submitted during the playing phase, only updates to existing submissions. There'll be two seperate topics during the playing phase; one for general discussion / replay posting / etc of the levels, and the other one only for creators to post updated versions of the levels; this is to keep them easy to find (any other posts in that topic will be deleted). And just for reference, the update deadline is subject to the same 72 hour rule as the main submissions (ie: even if the deadline has passed, updates only close when no updates have been submitted for 72 hours).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Contest #5

These rules were picked by Nepster, as a prize for the last contest. As such, any questions on the exact details of the rule will need to be answered by him, too, unless the questions relate to general contest rules.

For this contest, your goal is to design a level with a save requirement of no more than 10%. Remember that all engines that use percentages round down, so the same will be true here - 2 out of 19 lemmings equates to 10.5%, but since this would be rounded down and displayed as 10% in-game, that's acceptable. Likewise, in a level with 200 lemmings, a save requirement of either 20 lemmings or 21 lemmings is fine, because both would be displayed as 10% (but do keep in mind that traditional Lemmix would accept 20 lemmings as a pass in this case, even if the requirement is actually set to 21, because both calculate to 10%; NeoLemmix does not have this issue (20 lemmings would equate to failure in this case)).

Allowed engines: Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini, Lix

Engine-specific rules:
NeoLemmix: The "10%" should be according to Cloner-adjusted percentages. If you're calculating by hand, this means you should treat the total number of lemmings as (number of lemmings + number of cloners in skillset + number of pickup skill cloners in the level). More reliable would be to simply ensure you've set NeoCustLemmix to use the Cloner-Adjusted Percentages (run it directly rather than playtest mode, and in the settings menu, check that Use Percentages is set to "ADJ") and check what it says there.

Timeframe: Entries will close on 16th June 2015, 4:07 PM (UTC) (subject to general rule #10).
The update deadline will be announced when the playing phase begins, but will be at least 10 days.

The prizes available for this contest are:
- US $10 $12.50 (see general rule #8) <Will be increased to $15 if we reach 10 entries>
- One month's * advertising for a project you're creating (or involved in creating), whether lemmings-related or not, and whether free or not, in the forum's news ticker <Will be increased to a month and a half if we reach 10 entries>
- A Two new gimmicks of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason)
- A new object type of your choice added to NeoLemmix (within reason); this only includes supporting it in-game and in the graphic set editor, and does not include actually creating a graphic set (or expanding an existing one) to include the object
- Your choice for the next contest's rules (within reason)

* "One month" refers to a calendar month; not specifically "30 days" or "31 days".

Entries received: 7
bsmith
Crane
geoo
GigaLem
IchoTolot
Nepster
Simon
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:32:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Level Design Contest #5
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:37:41 PM »
I have an idea or two for this one. I just hope I can find time to join.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:23 PM »
I'm very happy that I got the motivation to return, and hopefully with some new experience in designing.  Fingers crossed that this one isn't as broken as my past contributions.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:54:57 AM »
Let's not forget that your supposedly "broken" level won the contest it was entered in. :P Backroutes don't nessecerially kill a level, especially when the focus is on making a good and fun level, not nessecerially a hard one. But at any rate, it's great to have you back! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
Aww, thanks namida!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
I wish I could go back in time to the early 90s and submit Cascade as an original level! I don't think that one can be beaten so easily in regards to its unique and foreboding design, but which is still possible to save 100% if you're feeling brave.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
Got about 48 hours until entries close (if no further ones are received / existing ones updated; otherwise it's 72 hours from the latest submission). Remember that once the deadline has passed, existing entrants can update their entries as often as they like (until the update deadline passes), but new entries cannot be submitted.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
Please read namida's post as:
If you want to enter the contest, but do not manage to finish your level until the deadline, do the following: Submit an essentially empty level now (of course with at most 10% save requirement) and update it later on with your actual level ;P :lix-wink:.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
Well, I can only assume you would have at least a name and a theme going, otherwise I can see it being disqualified.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
I guess that technically, there's currently no rule about how much can be changed in an update (apart from that the update must still meet the rules). The problem with defining an explicit rule in this case is that it can't really account for all possibilities. :P But, I'd also assume that most of this community is above exploiting loopholes like that except where explicitly allowed / encouraged.
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 04:20:55 PM »
WOW, this is turning out to be the most popular contest yet! Just received a 7th entry! This also means the deadline's extended by a bit more - so if you haven't got an entry in yet, you've got a bit more time to do so now. :)

Since this contest is so popular, I'm going to increase the prizes a little bit, since it's going to be a particularly tough one to win...
EDIT: Done. Increased the cash prize by 25%, increased the "a gimmick of your choice in NeoLemmix" to two gimmicks of your choice, and re-added the advertising prize as an option.

If we reach 10 entries (unlikely, though), I'll increase the cash prize by the same amount again, and increase the advertising prize to a month and a half, plus add one more completely new option. :) (To be clear, that's only for this contest, and doesn't mean that the same will happen for any future contests that reach 10 entries.)

Just to be clear on the gimmicks prize - you may notice I often add gimmicks based on suggestions, but the difference is that with suggestions, I might decide "I don't like this one, so I'm not adding it". Whereas with the prize, the only reason I might say no is if it's too complicated to code it; whether I like it or not has no bearing on whether it gets added.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:33:35 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »
This is indeed quite an interesting contest, good idea, Nepster!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
increased the "a gimmick of your choice in NeoLemmix" to two gimmicks

-- Simon