Author Topic: In what order should I play the Lemmings 2 levels?  (Read 16146 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: In what order should I play the Lemmings 2 levels?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
There's a walkthrough for Genesis Lemmings 2 on GameFAQs, and the author ranked the tribes' difficulty as follows:

beach    1/5

medieval 2/5
outdoor  2/5
shadow   2/5

circus   3/5
egyptian 3/5
highland 3/5
polar    3/5

cavelem  4/5
classic  4/5

space    5/5
sports   5/5

Obviously just one guy's opinion, and the fact is, within each tribe, later levels will tend to be harder than earlier levels, so the last level of an "easy" tribe you may still find more difficult than first level of a "difficult" tribe.  I do agree with the assessment that Classic and Sports definitely have some of the more difficult levels.  "Odyssey" (Space 8) is also amongst the difficult ones.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
The classic was very hard I thought as I was not too sure how many lemmings to save as a lot of the levels in the classic tribe you are sometimes allowed to lose a couple of lemmings.

Even though I think the classic is the hardest in my opinion I agree with the author that Ccexplore was mentioning about as I feel that last level in the sports one is a very hard one and would probably overall be the hardest. It's interesting seeing what others think is the hardest level, I think most often a lot would mention the sports one.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
I'll be starting my Genesis L2 Tribes version playthrough next week as I finished Lemmings Paintball last night (God those last 3 levels on Mayhem took forever!).

I'm willing to come away from that with my thoughts on what the most difficult tribes are and what I thought the most difficult level was. Despite the Sport levels being hard, I like the graphic set a lot.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
I haven't actually played in a long while, but if I ever play it again, I'll keep in mind those things.

Hi 607, Hi everyone

How are you getting on with the Lemmings two tribes and how far are you on the original lemmings? I do notice that a lot people tend to play the beach levels first but I think that's because if you click on the (play game) I think it's called takes you to the beach levels. :8()::8():

I would personally recommend the practice levels because you have so many skills and there might just be a couple of skills we have not quite mastered yet. I think a lot of people struggle with the twister, others are very good with the twister. I used to find the superlem one a hard one to master especially if you fly through tiny spaces.
Hm, I don't think the practice levels are all too useful. When I was younger, I only played the practice levels and nothing else, so now I chose to start with the real levels right away. If I don't know what a skill does, I can simply try it anywhere in the level where it appears in, and then restart.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
Just thought I'd post to state that the first video of my Lemmings 2 Tribes Genesis port playthrough is up on my channel on Youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JAwKyW340QFfSzdmv8Ljg

I'm currently playing through the Egyptian tribe as requested by grams88 :thumbsup:

I'm now looking for suggestions on what tribe to do next, I'm completely open to having my entire playthrough done by request :P

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »
Just thought I'd post to state that the first video of my Lemmings 2 Tribes Genesis port playthrough is up on my channel on Youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0JAwKyW340QFfSzdmv8Ljg

I'm currently playing through the Egyptian tribe as requested by grams88 :thumbsup:

I'm now looking for suggestions on what tribe to do next, I'm completely open to having my entire playthrough done by request :P

Highland tribe is similar in difficulty, I think

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 03:11:07 AM »
I've always thought Egyptian to be the easiest.  Sports is pretty hard, though, if you're going for Gold ratings.

Currently based on some issues I've been having with the FIRST LEVEL in Sports, I'm not sure Gold rank is possible on the DOS version, unless the issue I'm having turns out to be DOSBox being stupid.

I posted about this issue in another thread, but to make it clear what I'm talking about:
Figured I'd post this in this thread instead of making a new one:

I've been trying to get golds on all the levels, but Sports 1 has been giving me a particular amount of trouble. I don't have access to my actual 486 right now, so it might be due to an emulation issue with DOSBox, but as far as I can tell, in order to minimize deaths the bomb must be used as early as possible.  However, for some reason the game won't let me use it for a few seconds after the first lemming gets back up, which, depending on how long specifically it takes, will either cause lemmings to end up in a position that makes the level unwinnable or kill 4 (you can only lose 3 to get gold, if I'm not mistaken).  The longer I wait, the more lemmings die. Any idea what causes this?  I've tried it several times so I'm fairly confident it's not just a fluke.  Spam clicking the spot where the lemmings land consistently results in the outcome where 4 lemmings die; waiting longer increases the number.  It looks like it should be possible to use the skill earlier but for some reason you can't (at least not in the right location).
Link to thread I actually posted this in:
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2592.30

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 03:24:45 AM »
I'd think if it was impossible (even only in DOSBox), it'd be well known by now. Perhaps that specific solution doesn't work on DOS?

By the way, welcome back to the forums! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 03:59:14 AM »
Maybe? Does that level have any alternative solutions? As far as I can tell the minimal skill count in it prevents anything else from working.

Here's a video of attempting the solution; the entire time the cursor is in the position where the bomb gets used, I am spamming the mouse button.  3 lemmings died, and one got stuck (he can't be freed because the two remaining flamethrowers are necessary to complete the level).  Most of the time 4 die.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 04:06:13 AM »
I just looked it up on Youtube. Not only is it possible to save 57, it's possible to save 59. (Via a glitch it's even possible to save 60.)

I'm not familiar enough with L2 to know exactly how or why it works, sorry.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 04:32:55 AM »
I think the problem is, pointer is set on the stunned lemmings and they can't be selected to use the bomb. Try to put the pointer a little on the left and up to catch the first awakened lemming. Also may help to set the second lemming to use the flame thrower at the first obstacle, so the first one will get some time. It is possible to lose only 3 lemmings. I just tried and was successful after a few attempts. Two lemmings lost and one remain stuck on the screen, altogether 57 saved and that's enough for the gold medal.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
Using the second lemming to use the first flamethrower seems to have done the trick.
Thanks!

Seems to take multiple attempts though. Must be some sort of RNG factor in there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »
I would be very surprised if there was any RNG at work in a game like Lemmings. However, it's definitely extremely "chaotic" - a one frame difference to something at the start of a level could result in a huge difference to positions later, especially with the presence of fling exploders. This is especially visible in engines that have replay support, if the level is replayed after minor changes to it (which could be as simple as moving the entrance by a few pixels).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »
I'm currently at the middle of the Medieval tribe in Lemmings 2 on my Genesis playthrough on Youtube which is the 5th tribe in my playthrough (after Egyptian, Beach, Highland and Cavelems respectively).

I'm now currently taking requests for what my 6th (and possibly 7th!) tribe will be out of
Circus, Outdoor, Sports, Classic, Space, Polar and Shadow

Pick wisely :D

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Flopsy

I will vote or pick the Outdoor tribe for the 6th.  I was watching IchoTolot playing the outdoor tribe and it reminded how good the outdoor tribe is. :thumbsup: It's good seeing more playthroughs of the levels.

Enjoying your playthrough Flopsy. :thumbsup

The 3rd last level on the Medieval tribe can be done in two different ways from what I remember, With one of the solutions you don't need to use the balloon or the bottom part of the level but it does tend to be a much more trickier way to do the level.

Thanks to Ichotolot as well for doing a playthrough. :thumbsup: