Author Topic: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes  (Read 23795 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:29 AM »
I use Cyberlink Screen Recorder, it was bundled with the software which I edit my videos with so it's not a great screen recorder but it gets the job done.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
I forgot to mention that DOSBox itself has a recording feature built-in.  It might work better than using a separate screen recording software.  However, it won't help if you plan to record more than just the game (eg. if you want to record yourself talking while playing the game).  I think it also saves with a special codec which may potentially cause issues loading the saved movie in an editor afterwards.  I'll take a look at Cyberlink later this week and see.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:27 AM »
I forgot to mention that DOSBox itself has a recording feature built-in.  It might work better than using a separate screen recording software.  However, it won't help if you plan to record more than just the game (eg. if you want to record yourself talking while playing the game).  I think it also saves with a special codec which may potentially cause issues loading the saved movie in an editor afterwards.  I'll take a look at Cyberlink later this week and see.

DOSBox's built in recording has an issue at least with L1, where every time a new screen is entered, it starts a new video file rather than adding to the same one; my guess would be this is due to the different resolutions used on different screens. I don't know if this holds true for L2.

I (and probably several others here) would highly recommend switching to OBS for recording, by the way. :P Although I doubt it'll do much for the issues you're having, as it sounds like DOSBox itself is responsible for them.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Cool I never knew dosbox had a recording feature in it. I guess you never know till you try it whether or not it would work okay. But that might be an issue everytime it loads a new screen it starts a new recording, I wonder if there is a way to work around that one. I think if you do record things separately there are some good programs where you can connect it back up so that it is one video. I bet you are already ahead of things Flopsy. :)

I forget which one I used to record but I think it may of been fraps which can be annoying to set up as it used to cut out after a while but I think that depended on which version you had.

One thing I was thinking about suggesting although it could be something more people are against was seeing more of the failed attempts. I know it might not seem a popular way to do the recordings, see what other people think of it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
I don't recall the Genesis version specifically but from skimming walkthroughs, I think it is at least closer to DOS/Amiga compare to SNES.  If I have time I can try to find and call out any specific levels that have important differences.

Okay, one other notable difference I found is the chain element, which is absent in the Genesis version.

It's typically replaced by an extra skill for equivalent effect, like a parachute, or minor adjustments to the level to make it not needed.  Probably a blessing in disguise as using the chain is more a hassle than anything.  At least now you know what it is referring to in some of the level titles that use the word "swing". ;)

I believe all other game elements exist and are functional in the Genesis version.

Sports 1 and Sports 5 on Genesis are also completely redone, basically think of them as new levels unique to Genesis, although I guess they do retain vague traces of the "spirit" of the levels from DOS/Amiga that they replace.  I haven't played them myself so I don't know if they are easier or harder than the DOS/Amiga versions.

The number of certain skills given in a few particular levels probably make more sense when you know the original has 60 rather than 50 lemmings per tribe, but otherwise I don't believe there are any cases where you end up with significantly different or easier solutions as a result.

Overall the Genesis version should offer almost the same experience as DOS/Amiga version, especially if you get mouse working.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
One thing that can complicate exactly the same level is impossibility to use two (or more) 'Glue pourers' at the same time on the SNES and Genesis.
Very interesting is 'Egyptian tribe' level 10. It is possible to use 'Mortar' to make the shortcut in the floor, then use the 'Glue pourers' to close the openings on the path. But, that trick is only possible on the Amiga, Atari ST and Archimedes. On the PC and FM Towns 'Mortar' can't open the hole on the floor (one pixel still remain) and there is no shortcut for that level. On the Mega Drive/Genesis it is possible to open the hole with the 'Mortar' but there is no time to use one 'Glue pourer' after another before the Lemmings crowd reach the openings on their way. So this level is much complicated to complete. On the contrary, SNES has small difference in the level layout and it's possible to open the 'Mortar' hole on the right side (just on the left side on the other ports). That makes 'Egyptian' 10 the easiest level in the whole game on the SNES. That one 'Mortar' is all what is needed to complete that level perfectly.
Gameboy, Game Gear and Master system have too different design of that level to compare walkthrough.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:29:45 AM by Leo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »
@grams88: Yeah I have decent software which can cut videos up/string videos together into one video file. You'll see what it can do when you watch the very late Paintball videos since I've finally finished editing them :XD: (I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 14 by the way, my screen capture software came bundled with this).
It even allows you to add multiple audio tracks so it's ideal for adding commentary tracks and I can also adjust the volumes on the tracks so the music is not drowning out my commentary for example.

The way I did Paintball in the later videos where there was loads of failed attempts in Taxing and especially Mayhem. Was I would show a few failed attempts if they are early on in the level then I would cut them out and just cut to when I get back to the point where I failed. And then if I fail again, I would again cut to back to that stage of the level on my next attempt that makes it that far. Kind of like how RTW did his YT videos. I try and make sure I don't spend too long on one level in finished/edited video time basicly.

@ccexplore: I'm happy to see the chains are absent to be honest, I never understood why they were put in to be honest as it was such an annoying mechanic.

Nice to see some new Sports levels in the Genesis version, then again I have never played Tribes properly so would not know what to expect in that tribe anyway.

I can confirm I have got the mouse working in the Fusion emulator I'm using. So far so good for the recording, I'm going to save state between levels just in case something goes wrong and the emulator "stops working" for some reason, that way I don't lose progress should the program stop.
I have had the "stopped working" message but that is only if I try to load another ROM while running a ROM already so I know what not to do.

@Leo: While I'm trying to avoid spoilers, I'll take note of what you said about not being able to use multiple pourer Lemmings at once.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
Genesis 'Lemmings 2' has passwords, so you can't lose your progress. Just enter the password and you are back in the game. It's not a problem to find all 12 passwords (each tribe has it own passwords) for all completed levels on the internet, but it's a problem to find passwords for all the levels available but not completed. Why is this important, you may ask? Because if you are enter all of the final passwords it's really annoying to play this game anymore. Whatever level you play, the game assume you should be awarded with the final animation and you can't avoid that. As I remember, game even won't to go back to the menu after the animation. So, the only solution is to perform reset.
But, you are lucky because I have all the passwords for the unfinished game with all the levels accessible. Here they are:

My advice is to enter all the passwords (not an easy job, I know) and then save the state from the emulator. So you can start the game, load the state and play any level you want and don't care anymore about saving your progress.

And one more thing, 'Fusion' emulator can work as USA, JAP or EUR.
Can be selected in options menu or with the F-keys:
Options -> Country -> USA(F1), JAP(F2), EUR(F3)
It's easiest to play EUR version, because the game works faster with USA or JAP settings.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:47:41 PM by Leo »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 02:47:20 AM »
Figured I'd post this in this thread instead of making a new one:

I've been trying to get golds on all the levels, but Sports 1 has been giving me a particular amount of trouble. I don't have access to my actual 486 right now, so it might be due to an emulation issue with DOSBox, but as far as I can tell, in order to minimize deaths the bomb must be used as early as possible.  However, for some reason the game won't let me use it for a few seconds after the first lemming gets back up, which, depending on how long specifically it takes, will either cause lemmings to end up in a position that makes the level unwinnable or kill 4 (you can only lose 3 to get gold, if I'm not mistaken).  The longer I wait, the more lemmings die. Any idea what causes this?  I've tried it several times so I'm fairly confident it's not just a fluke.  Spam clicking the spot where the lemmings land consistently results in the outcome where 4 lemmings die; waiting longer increases the number.  It looks like it should be possible to use the skill earlier but for some reason you can't (at least not in the right location).

EDIT: Using second lemming for first flamethrower seems to be the solution.
May take multiple attempts. I think there might be some sort of RNG factor as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:48:03 AM by Dullstar »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 05:37:21 AM »
The problem is, if multiple lemmings land on the trampoline at roughly the same time, only one makes it.

Similarly, if there's a stunner under your cursor, you can't assign anything.

Getting gold is a lot of trial-and-error, you need to bomb at the right moment, and the assignment only works if you place the cursor in the correct position. So no RNG factor, just a very specific setup that works (but it works every time).

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
In that level, gold is awarded with as little as 57 saved lemmings, but in the Amiga version and native DOS you can save some more. I think the problem is the emulation via DOSBox.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »
I think the problem is the emulation via DOSBox.
I don't know what you base this claim on...

The Amiga version has different physics. For the DOS version, you can save 58 if you get the setup right (that's what I was referring to in my above post; I forgot 57 is already sufficient for gold, giving you more leeway). If I recall, L2 prioritizes lemmings that came out of the hatch later, and in Sports 1 those are the guys that just landed on their back, so you need to make sure you don't have one of them under your cursor while you try to assign the bomber.
Sports 1 DOS also has a glitchy 100% solution due to ccexplore, but it's extremely hard to pull off.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
That level was definitely finicky on both Amiga and DOS and honestly, not that interesting solution-wise (ignoring the glitch solution).  It's arguably a good thing that the level was replaced with something else in ports like Genesis and SNES.

But I'm quite sure I've gotten 59/60 or 58/60 on DOSBox (not using the glitch solution).  There is no emulation issue AFAIK, it was just a problematic level design.