Poll

How many items should be displayed on recently updated topics?

10 (current setting)
2 (40%)
1 (20%)
1 (20%)
0 (0%)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Recent posts > Recently updated topics?  (Read 12892 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Recent posts > Recently updated topics?
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »
ccexplore recently tested (for a short time) a modification that changes "Recent posts" to "Recently updated topics". Essentially, the difference between this and how it is now would be that each topic can only appear once on the list, so multiple posts in the same topic won't "flood" the list.

How do people feel about having this?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Recent posts > Recently updated topics?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:40:31 PM »
Yes! And make the list longer, 20 or 30.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
Seems this is another one with pretty much unanimous support, so I've gone ahead and enabled it. For now I'll leave the number of displayed topics as-is, but I can change this later. It's certianly just me waiting to see what people think, and not at all that I can't find where to set it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Yes! And make the list longer, 20 or 30.

Yes and yes. Even better: a link to a page where all topics on the board are listed in reverse order of date updated.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:32 AM »
^ That might be a bit too big of an ask, but we'll see.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »
Even better-er: link to the first unread post instead of the latest post :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »
Definitely. Gimme a few minutes and I should be able to acheive that. My apologies if anything breaks while testing this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:51:00 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:02:30 AM »
I've found where in the code to change it; will investigate how to actually make the right change shortly (I don't think it'll be difficult, just doing other things ATM).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Clam (or any other staff member): Can you post a few spammy nonsense posts on any existing topic on the Staff board please? :) (For testing purposes)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
Seems it works fine. Thanks. :)

Anyone, let me know if you have problems with it.

EDIT: Doesn't quite seem to work as well as I thought; I'll have to look into this more. At least I know where to make the changes.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:00:20 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Nan nan nan, longer list, longer list!

You want the list to cover 3-4 days on average, which it doesn't do right now. There are many more 1-day old topics as there are 2-day old, more of those than 3-day-old, etc..

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »
In the mod library the same person who made the mod that affects the home page also made another mod that affects this page:

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?action=recent

You can currently get to that page via the icon next to the "Recently Updated Topics" text on the home page bottom section.  Without the other mod, right now it still lists recent posts rather than topics, but sounds like with the other mod, that might partially address what Simon and NaOH ask for, at the cost of an extra click to get there.

[edit: to clarify, merely changing the number of items shown on the home page section from 10 to something else is just an existing setting in the theme that the admins can change.  I'm pointing out this other thing because it sounds like whatever number we set may still be too low sometimes for some people.]

To be honest it never occurred to me that people would want to see 3+-day old topics.  I'm genuinely curious at how people intend to make use of such an ability.  Is the intention for being able to catch up after multiple days of not checking the forums, or are there other needs in mind?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:37:59 PM by ccexplore »

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
To be honest it never occurred to me that people would want to see 3+-day old topics.  I'm genuinely curious at how people intend to make use of such an ability.  Is the intention for being able to catch up after multiple days of not checking the forums, or are there other needs in mind?

Every now and then I find that the post at the bottom of the list is not a post I've seen before, meaning I've missed something. Also, sometimes it's useful to be able to scroll back to refresh myself on what's been happening lately.

I didn't know there was a page for recent posts; that will be very useful in this regard.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 05:48:01 AM »
Alright, it should now be correctly linking you to the first unread post in a topic, rather than the newest post.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 01:39:56 AM »
Since two suggestions have been resolved really fast, what's the counter-argument to raising the number of items in the list?

With the huge logo and elaborate board descriptions, screen space can't be the issue.

10 entries is a completely arbitraty choice. The decimal system is bad, 8 or 16 are much rounder numbers.

I'm still backing my original estimation of ~20 or maybe 30 items.

-- Simon